• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If this doesn’t get you excited about Matt Corral, nothing will

NAS

34 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don't give a rip if Corral might of had a bit too much fun early in college.  That basically describes 99% of college kids.

Party too much and didn't study.  Put it together and righted the ship.  Sounds extremely familiar. 

Doesn't need to be the week one starter.   If he turns out to be a gem then great.  If he ends up being a competent backup, you got your third round value.  Verdict is still out but I think it is a positive and rational step in upgrading the position that desperately needs to be upgraded.

• Beer 2

42 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Schuyler Callihan chimed in with a rookie Camp observation as well...

They really didn't throw the ball downfield much with Corral over the weekend. It was a lot of underneath stuff and some play-action that had him rolling to both sides. When he did stand firm in the pocket, he looked comfortable. The five and seven step drops are something that will take some time for him to get used to, but this offense will primarily run out of the gun anyway. On tape, Corral had one of the quickest releases I've seen. In person, it looked even quicker. It's a natural, effortless motion that is something I haven't seen before. He was very accurate with the ball and on the few shots they did take downfield, he put it right on the money. 

Link

Not sure about the shotgun thing. I don't remember enough about McAdoo's offense to know if that's true.

Callihan did also have this to say about first round pick Ikem Ekwonu's camp...

Ekwonu already looks the part. It's easy to see why everyone in the Panthers' building calls him a tone-setter. There were a couple of times that he nearly ran the guy (another lineman) holding the pad into the ground. He's just a massive human being who has tremendous strength. He'll be starting at left tackle from day one. 

Love hearing the Icky part!  Nearly ran the OL holding the pad into the ground made me laugh out loud.  The mean is a beast and hopefully will be our LT for a long time.  

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, CRA said:

I still remember Rhule almost bragging about Sam not needing to be a leader lol.  Yeah, the brand and his master vision. 

i don't think that Rhule likes (or liked) lockerroom leaders because he wanted to be "the leader". He wanted to be the center of their universe. that poo might have flown in college, but at the pro level, you've got to have that (lockerroom leaders). but that's why sammy not bring a leader was a good thing in his mind. he didn't want that kind of strong personality competing with his own.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Hasnt he been an offensive consultant and a QB coach since he was a HC?

he got a gig with the lowly Jags for one season as a QB coach.  That's been the only post NY gig he got.  He even applied to be our QB coach twice and we turned him down both times.   

I consider consultant gig just the good old boys coaching network of giving some one a paycheck. I don't count those as coaching gigs. 

• Pie 1

Unless Sam Darnold goes out there and has done a complete 180° in terms of his play on the field there’s no reason for them Panthers not to go with Matt Corral.

They obviously drafted him for a reason and it makes sense if the Panthers don't think they are quite playoff ready to see what they have in Corral before next years draft.

• Pie 2

I don't want to get too excited knowing that as a fan of this team over the years we'll probably be letdown but man how fuging awesome would it be if this kid is a legit franchise QB and Icky is a legit franchise LT.

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

I don't want to get too excited knowing that as a fan of this team over the years we'll probably be letdown but man how fuging awesome would it be if this kid is a legit franchise QB and Icky is a legit franchise LT.

I'll be happy if Icky is a franchise LT, Corral is just an incredible bonus if he works out!

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1