• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If this doesn’t get you excited about Matt Corral, nothing will

NAS

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Wait, it was a bad thing that Cam, Olsen and Reid got cut? They’ve done nothing since they got cut to make them bad decisions for the money being paid. Honestly, we wasted a lot of money keeping Greg happy for two years that confirmed he wasn’t the same anymore.

The only leadership we lost from a player who could contribute at a high level was Kuechly.

We certainly haven’t replaced the leadership well and hopefully Corral comes up big for us in the future, but I don’t see any of the three cuts as mistakes.

I’d say it was probably overall a negative that Rhule purged the team of all leadership and combined that with a comical college staff. 

and you don’t have to be playing at an elite level to provide leadership.  a lot of times some great leadership is provided by guys that are on the back 9.  

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

I might add that an employment gap is not necessarily because people are not interested in hiring a person.  There are plenty of legit reasons why folks take " time off. "

He only took 2018 off. He was trying to land OC jobs again starting in 2019. That’s 3 straight years of people not wanting him.  

17 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

The only thing that will get me "excited" about Matt Corral is winning football games.  Chris Simms praise means nothing.  

He has a pretty good track record at evaluating QBs coming out of the draft.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Schuyler Callihan chimed in with a rookie Camp observation as well...

They really didn't throw the ball downfield much with Corral over the weekend. It was a lot of underneath stuff and some play-action that had him rolling to both sides. When he did stand firm in the pocket, he looked comfortable. The five and seven step drops are something that will take some time for him to get used to, but this offense will primarily run out of the gun anyway. On tape, Corral had one of the quickest releases I've seen. In person, it looked even quicker. It's a natural, effortless motion that is something I haven't seen before. He was very accurate with the ball and on the few shots they did take downfield, he put it right on the money. 

Link

Not sure about the shotgun thing. I don't remember enough about McAdoo's offense to know if that's true.

Callihan did also have this to say about first round pick Ikem Ekwonu's camp...

Ekwonu already looks the part. It's easy to see why everyone in the Panthers' building calls him a tone-setter. There were a couple of times that he nearly ran the guy (another lineman) holding the pad into the ground. He's just a massive human being who has tremendous strength. He'll be starting at left tackle from day one. 

Watching Eli's 2014-15 highlights it's mostly shotgun with a handful of play action plays under center. 

It gets old seeing people write guys off based on draft position. 

Every year players in each round pop off. Elite talent can be had anywhere in the draft. 

Corral didn’t drop because of lack of talent. The talent is undeniable if you simply watch him play. 

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I will be too, but winning isn’t entirely on the QB. Hope that isn’t your only evaluation of a QB. 

Wins/losses is a team stat.

I agree, although qb is a key component.

I do think that qb play was our biggest weakness last year, with oline being a close second.  If qb play improves, we should start winning some games.  Maybe not enough to make the playoffs or be a contender yet, but enough to at least discuss being a contender eventually.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I agree, although qb is a key component.

I do think that qb play was our biggest weakness last year, with oline being a close second.  If qb play improves, we should start winning some games.  Maybe not enough to make the playoffs or be a contender yet, but enough to at least discuss being a contender eventually.  

What were we, like 6-10 Cam's first season? After his first game, no one needed to tell anyone that we had a franchise QB, and no one will have to tell us after Corral's first game either. Listen to what I'm saying. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1