• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Still need more RB depth

CRA

10 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I’d rather see what Spencer Brown has, as well as the other young guys on the camp roster.  No need to invest more money at the position when Foreman and Hubbard are both capable backups.  

I'm not talking about much of an investment.  We have CMC.  Just some who schematically fits a system that Corral does well for depth if he gets hurt again. 

and if we are putting Matt Corral back there I want him to have success.  But he will be a rookie. Pairing him up w/ a rooke to take on those pass protections and all that I don't think sounds ideal.  Rookie RBs often struggle in that area.  

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm not talking about much of an investment.  Just some who schematically fits a system that Corral does well for depth. 

and if we are putting Matt Corral back there I want him to have success.  Pairing him up w/ a rooke to take on those pass protections and all that I don't think sounds ideal.  Rookie RBs often struggle in that area.  

I dont think any guys on the FA market are great pass catchers and also capable pass blockers or they would already be someone's #1 or #2. 

If CMC goes down again, Hubbard and Foreman have to step up. 

I know I dont want to see our RBs getting blown up in pass protection by small ass players like Bradley Roby like last season. 

Edited by PootieNunu

I think the RB spot is totally worthy of discussion and good thread.  Outside of CMC, we don't necessarily have the personnel to deploy the same offense we run with him.  We've seen that blow up into our faces like 3 years in a row.  That's the oddity in what we've done is have 2 complimentary backs to backup a workhorse rather than potentially have a potential workhorse backup.   The hope was that could be Hubbard but we were playing Abdullah more than anyone at the end of last season.  Sam Darnold, Ameer Abdullah and Ian Thomas were running our offense those last few weeks lol.  

I'd like to start looking for a new unit overall because CMC's future is somewhat uncertain.  If he's healthy and has a good season, then his 2023 out of the contract could actually be a good trade chip for a team that could restructure.  The ideal approach would be the new current trend of not necessarily a committee, but a unit going with the hottest gamer/freshest legs every week. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm not talking about much of an investment.  We have CMC.  Just some who schematically fits a system that Corral does well for depth if he gets hurt again. 

and if we are putting Matt Corral back there I want him to have success.  But he will be a rookie. Pairing him up w/ a rooke to take on those pass protections and all that I don't think sounds ideal.  Rookie RBs often struggle in that area.  

We’d have to go 4 deep to get to the point where he is paired with a rookie. 

• Beer 1

That being said, I don't see any FAs that are worthy to bring in.  But with the recent success of 6th rounders to UDFAs, let's see what we've got.  Was surprised we didn't expand Bonnafon more after that one Jags game but he must not have been clicking for full production at  pratice or whatnot.

18 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

That's not a great solution if CMC goes down though. You don't want to be moving your #1 WR to RB for very many snaps. Typically they've used Moore on Jet sweeps/end arounds kind of plays.

Well I don't even want to move him there for one snap. We have one WR that are consistent, let's use him wise.

There are two RB on the roster not mentioned here, anyone know their traits?

58 minutes ago, CRA said:

Obviously, we have a CMC who can do literally anything.  But based on history I think the roster has to be built where you have a plan for if he goes down for an extended period. 

We brought in D'onta Foreman.  A power back.   Which is fine.   He would have fit in very nice for what Matt Rhule really wanted to do about midway through last season.  Take the ball out of the QBs hands and just hand it off and grind it out. He talked about it alot.  We rarely did it.  

We also have Hubbard, which while he isn't a power running RB he is almost exclusively a runner at this point.  Needs a lot of work on his hands being a complete and diverse RB at this stage. 

But is that really a great fit if we do go to a scheme built to cater to Matt Corral at some point this season.  Is that a fit for what McAdoo had success doing as an OC with Eli?  Corral like so many are most comfortable and at their best playing out of the shotgun.   Same w/ Eli when McAdoo was the OC in 2014 and 2015.  Seems like if you combined what Corral does well and what McAdoo did well in NY.....we would need to be running a lot of our O out of the shotgun w/ a RB suited for a lot of zone read style playaction looks and with hands.  Not sure we have anyone on the roster behind CMC that really suits that. 

I like the new glasses. 

GIF by Saturday Night Live

Go Panthers!!!

16 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

I actually think we are pretty solid at RB

Other positions need some depth a whole lot more

Depends.  I think we are good to go if Sam is the QB.   Foreman and Chubba fit that IMO.  

I just think Corral would be a Corral specific offense.  And I don’t think Foreman and Chubba serve that one as well. 

I don’t view Sam and Matt as interchangeable QBs into the same offense and playcalls.    So who is playing might would dictate slightly what style of players you want.  Think we should be prepared either way. 

RBs are not a dime a dozen -- which is why the Panthers were 4-3 with CMC and 1-9 without him last year. That said, it's also about how you maximize their talents, which Rhule cannot do and refuses to do. The ones who are on the roster, presently, though, are good enough to handle the job between CMC, Foreman and Hubbard.

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I dont think any guys on the FA market are great pass catchers and also capable pass blockers or they would already be someone's #1 or #2. 

If CMC goes down again, Hubbard and Foreman have to step up. 

I know I dont want to see our RBs getting blown up in pass protection by small ass players like Bradley Roby like last season. 

Something to keep an eye on though when cuts happen though IMO.   

• Pie 1