• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With quality QB play. Is this roster ready to go?

iamhubby1

With quality QB play. Is this roster ready to go?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. With quality QB play. Is this roster ready to go?

• NO.
    • MAYBE. After all, we are still young.
    • YES

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Where is 6 though?  I agree with the write if we don’t at least split the first 4 then things will get ugly at a supersonic speed.   

hope to split w/ Atl and NO.  That gives you 2 wins. 

Detriot.  That gives you 3 wins. 

Then hope you pull 3 wins of these 4 - NY, Sea, AZ, Pitt.  That gives you 6. 

But that's why the Vegas line is so good.  Because of that last group of 4 teams.  By taking the 6 wins you are betting you win most of the coin flip/winnable games. 

Everyone else is just flat out better than us pending injuries don't alter who they are.   And that assumes Watson starts in Clev week 1. 

but yeah the opening 8 games are crucial for Matt Rhule and there isn't a lot of room for error on the couple winnable games there. 

9 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

That's kinda what the thread is about though. Do you feel we are a QB away?

Evidently you are a yes.

Nope.  We need dline help as well as linebackers.  We need a season for the oline to gel.   I agree a good qb can mask a lot of things but imo we are more then a qb away from the playoffs.  

17 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Nope.  We need dline help as well as linebackers.  We need a season for the oline to gel.   I agree a good qb can mask a lot of things but imo we are more then a qb away from the playoffs.  

Need more legit pass catchers to compete vs the good teams too.  Can’t just be DJ Moore.  You can’t keep pace with other teams with just DJ.  

Need to add legit pass catching help whether that is via TE or WR

Imagine if DJ Moore missed time.  The perceived best WR for the Super Bowl champs wwas Robert Woods heading into the season last year.   He ended up missing the season. 

The Rams were a QB away.  We aren’t even close to a roster (minus QB) like that. 

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I guess I don't see it that way. Shaq, Littleton, and Luvu are a solid bunch. Maybe not the best, but far from the worst.

The Dline has talent. Most players improve year to year. If that is the case we may be pretty good there.

We were 9th in yards per carry last year. If we can maintain that. We have a chance to be pretty good on D.

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

Need more legit pass catchers to compete vs the good teams too.  Can’t just be DJ Moore.  You can’t keep pace with other teams with just DJ.  

Again, we are talking about this roster being good enough, that quality QB play can makes us competitive.

We are not talking about having the bestest roster. Nor the deepest.

This roster, as is. Could be competitive if we get good QB play.

Edited by iamhubby1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

A great QB might be able to mask out issues but I don't think even the rosiest of rosy views is banking on Corral to be a great QB and especially as a rookie.

It would be awesome but it's not very realistic. Even the unrealistic Russell Wilson example everyone is so attached to, he took 2-3 seasons to really dial it in. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

A great QB might be able to mask out issues but I don't think even the rosiest of rosy views is banking on Corral to be a great QB and especially as a rookie.

It would be awesome but it's not very realistic. Even the unrealistic Russell Wilson example everyone is so attached to, he took 2-3 seasons to really dial it in. 

This is totally what hubby is failing to acknowledge and/or realize.   In short we are in for another long season.  I thinking 5ish wins.  Could be a complete disaster if we start 0-4 and the team just quits

• Beer 1

Too many ifs to feel comfortable. DL seems iffy, LB crew aren’t sound enough once guys get to the second level. TE room is unproven. WR is very iffy after DJ. RB situation is expected to be like the past 3 years with CMC in and out. Over relief on, not as high as others on Foreman or Hubbard.

OL is much improved and the secondary is set. That’s about it.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

This is totally what hubby is failing to acknowledge and/or realize.   In short we are in for another long season.  I thinking 5ish wins.  Could be a complete disaster if we start 0-4 and the team just quits

Again, the question is; Would quality QB play make THIS team competitive?

It pretty much is a YES or NO answer.

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

also in regards to Wilson finding success.

Seattle was a top 5 rushing offense in each of his first 3 seasons. 

Seattle's D was also top 10 in points allowed in each of his first 3 seasons.  

Success and development so often is, situation > talent

6 minutes ago, davos said:

Too many ifs to feel comfortable. DL seems iffy, LB crew aren’t sound enough once guys get to the second level. TE room is unproven. WR is very iffy after DJ. RB situation is expected to be like the past 3 years with CMC in and out. Over relief on, not as high as others on Foreman or Hubbard.

OL is much improved and the secondary is set. That’s about it.

We are one of the youngest teams. You pretty much have to expect these types of things.

I guess it comes down to; Do you believe this is the best roster we've had in a while? And would a good QB make us competitive?

49 minutes ago, CRA said:

also in regards to Wilson finding success.

Seattle was a top 5 rushing offense in each of his first 3 seasons. 

Seattle's D was also top 10 in points allowed in each of his first 3 seasons.  

Success and development so often is, situation > talent

Russell would likely have been successful anywhere he was given a chance to start but he wouldn't be a Super Bowl champion without those other elements. 

Even the greatest of QB's isn't gonna drag a team to but so much success. Look at Brady in Tampa. He plopped into a ready-made team to get his last title. That team was stacked with talent. Stafford and the Rams.

This roster is pretty thin on talent and VERY thin on experience. So the ceiling is naturally going to be very low.