• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms - top 40 QB countdown

NAS

1 hour ago, NAS said:

It’s not about what you’ve done but what you’re going to be. By your logic Justin Herbert should have been excluded from top 40 even though he was a top 10 pick and ultimately balled out as a rookie

Whatever ranking that Herbert had before playing in the 2020 season was bogus. Before 2021, there was at least a body of work to base his ranking on. 

8 hours ago, NAS said:

No secret I am a fan of his QB evaluations.  Here is where he stands so far.  He still thinks that Darnold has a chance to redeem himself. 

It will be interesting to see where he ranks our incoming rookie Matt Corrall. 

image.thumb.png.de67425040892bb4f192c50478ddd9cc.png

Sam Darnold is not better than some of those QBs.  He just isn't.

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, rayzor said:

I listened to the one he did on sammy. He's got all the tools and athletic ability. It's basically his ability to process and handle pressure. He also talks about him missing the big throws. He doesn't see opportunities and can't capitalize on them when he does see them. We missed out on a lot of points because he couldn't get it done. 

i hate quoting myself, but i just had a continuation of thought. Those things that sammy lacks is very much present in Corral. watching his games I didn't see a guy who caved to pressure at all, but instead analyzed and processed it all very quickly. his release as a thrower is as fast as his ability to process. he only thing that sammy has that Corral doesn't is size (and a fear of ghosts).

i really hope that Corral lives up to what I was seeing and that it translates to the pro level. I mean it should, esp. if MacAdoo is building the offense around Corral's strengths. That shouldn't be difficult because Corral naturally fits a lot of what MacAdoo does anyways. Sammy could...but he won't. he just can't get it done.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, poundaway said:

Sam Darnold is not better than some of those QBs.  He just isn't.

i think he could be. he could have been worth that first round pick. the physical tools are there, which is why he probably is listed above some of those. He just hasn't had the light flipped on yet. Doesn't seem like that is ever going happen.

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i think he could be. he could have been worth that first round pick. the physical tools are there, which is why he probably is listed above some of those. He just hasn't had the light flipped on yet. Doesn't seem like that is ever going happen.

At some point you have to see there is no bulb in that lamp. There never was and that goes back to before his NFL days.

The guy is a vet this year. At some point this has to be acknowledged.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

I think Darnold is a lot cause, but he's only been with the Jets and the Panthers and both teams get an F for giving him what he needs to succeed.  

I would venture to guess that pretty much everyone thinks this as well, including his mother. 

But until someone is signed to unseat him he is the starter.  I'm desperately hoping Corral can do that by game one.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

I think Darnold is a lot cause, but he's only been with the Jets and the Panthers and both teams get an F for giving him what he needs to succeed.  

QBs with weaker physical tools have gone to situations just as bad....and performed better. 

Sam is an athlete.  Not a QB.  Simple as that.  Thinking you can make him one just isn't going to happen.  Not when his physical tools would limit him to being a traditional pocket passer. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 hours ago, mc52beast said:

How do people who sucked at playing the position suddenly become experts on the position.

That's like saying that Bill Belichick couldn't be a good coach because he wasn't a good football player. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, X-Clown said:

That's like saying that Bill Belichick couldn't be a good coach because he wasn't a good football player. 

the rule is often great players make bad coaches

if you look at GOAT coaches that played....they normally weren't very good. 

If you look at GOAT players that coached...they normally sucked 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

QBs with weaker physical tools have gone to situations just as bad....and performed better. 

Sam is an athlete.  Not a QB.  Simple as that.  Thinking you can make him one just isn't going to happen.  Not when his physical tools would limit him to being a traditional pocket passer. 

I'd say lets switch Sam back to linebacker, but he'd probably pick up the same 55.2 PFF grade. Just as the QB of the defense. Maybe he should stick with wakeboarding and try to make some noise at the X Games

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

At some point you have to see there is no bulb in that lamp. There never was and that goes back to before his NFL days.

The guy is a vet this year. At some point this has to be acknowledged.

Lesson should be learned....you don't get QBs from USC. Best thing Corral did was escape Cali and go to the SEC. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Lesson should be learned....you don't get QBs from USC. Best thing Corral did was escape Cali and go to the SEC. 

and frankly their WRs too.  Unless you just want depth and roleplayers. 

No one has really panned out post Keyshawn and I always thought he was overrated. 

• Pie 1

This is his opinion. He has a decent amount more experience watching film than any of us. Let alone he’s not going to be as biased as we are. His evaluation of Darnold is fair. If you take away his mental mishaps he’s a top 20-25 QB in the league. The first 3 games of last year prove it. Hell even the come back attempt in the Dallas game shows he has some talent. You guys have been so hard on everyone since Cam. Let the guy have a chance to figure it out this year. If he doesn’t we have Corral if he does then a team will sign him next year and we will get a decent comp pick. Win/win situation. 

• Pie 1