• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College football might be about to get real interesting

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

A salary cap. All players must report earnings and get taxed out the yingyang. Schools will have lawsuits when scholarship players get paid and lose scholarships.

The college football playoff era also has gotten boring.  Unless you are a fan of a handful of teams. 

put Bama, Clemson, OSU, ND, OU and the top  3 SEC schools in a hat.  Draw names.  Pull at random and you would be pretty good psychic for the final 4. 

10 hours ago, Shocker said:

Saban is a fuggin punk.  I hope this sheds some light on him as a person cuz he is a garbage person

Jimbo has more integrity in his pinky that Nick Saban

Jimbo is a dirt bag as well make no doubt about it. 

1 hour ago, cookinbrak said:

A salary cap. All players must report earnings and get taxed out the yingyang. Schools will have lawsuits when scholarship players get paid and lose scholarships.

I think they need to have 2 lanes you either attend the school on an NIL or you take the scholarship.  If you take the scholarship and you blow up as a viable advertising piece for someone you sign the nil and lose the scholarship.  Yes I do think at some point there will be some type of salary cap on programs.  

Edited by Barney

I mean they all are dirtbags.  Jimbo was just accused a couple years back of sorts of stuff. Hard to rise to the ranks of the most elite college programs and not be a seedy dirtbag. 

Except for Dabo.  And if you disagree, Dabo and I will pray for your lost soul.  You're welcome. 

Think it actually is easier for a decent man to be NFL coach than at a top tier college program. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I do wonder if the money in college football will be sustainable.  Ratings are dropping and it's becoming a regional sport, South and Midwest mostly.  Will ESPN and the other sports broadcaster continue to shell out ever increasing amounts of money?

Considering how badly the broadcasters want to hold on to their traditional TV pie and that content is king, yes. Even the WWE got 2 separate 1 billion dollar TV deals for their small audience. Despite the rising popularity of streaming and ditching the cord, there are still millions of people in the US that depend on cable, network OTA channels, and satellite for TV service since they can't get broadband internet service.

4 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Considering how badly the broadcasters want to hold on to their traditional TV pie and that content is king, yes. Even the WWE got 2 separate 1 billion dollar TV deals for their small audience. Despite the rising popularity of streaming and ditching the cord, there are still millions of people in the US that depend on cable, network OTA channels, and satellite for TV service since they can't get broadband internet service.

I am not talking about the next year or two, but 10-15 years down the road.  If ratings continue to decline, ESPN and the others might not have the cash to actually pay them as much.  

11 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I am not talking about the next year or two, but 10-15 years down the road.  If ratings continue to decline, ESPN and the others might not have the cash to actually pay them as much.  

I think they'll be fine with paying the fees for the next 10 years, if not longer. This is a huge country and it'll take years to build out the necessary internet infrastructure to be able to ditch pay TV. And even then, there will be streaming versions, which we're already seeing.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

I think they'll be fine with paying the fees for the next 10 years, if not longer. This is a huge country and it'll take years to build out the necessary internet infrastructure to be able to ditch pay TV. And even then, there will be streaming versions, which we're already seeing.

and excuding somewhere like maybe Montana.  Most of the maps where internet is lacking is prime college football real estate. 

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Barney said:

I think they need to have 2 lanes you either attend the school on an NIL or you take the scholarship.  If you take the scholarship and you blow up as a viable advertising piece for someone you sign the nil and lose the scholarship.  Yes I do think at some point there will be some type of salary cap on programs.  

LOL this won’t work. Get real. The NCAA has to set strict guidelines, investigate and punish schools that are just bribing players with bogus NIL deals. 

The Miami kid, Wong, who will be all ACC next year basically said pay me more or I’m leaving and then I’m sure was slipped some cash by Miami boosters to be quiet. 

Tampering is going wild now too, there are rumors that UGA was trying to steal Josh Downs from UNC. This has to be addressed. 

While the NIL, in theory, is a good idea it of course has been exploited by the big time schools just like most of us knew it would. The NCAA is a joke and probably has no clue what to do.