• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Steve Reed reports "the Panthers are still interested in" Jimmy Garoppolo

The Associated Press's Steve Reed reports "the Panthers are still interested in" Jimmy Garoppolo.

As was just reported on the connection between Carolina and Baker Mayfield, the issue is money. A team trading for either quarterback would inherit their salary, and neither is cheap. Garoppolo is set to make $24.2 million this year, and almost all of that will be shifted to his new team if no changes are made. Reed noted that a trade partner would need to "pick up a large portion of their salary" for Carolina to make a deal. For now, it looks like Garoppolo and Mayfield are stuck on their current teams. 

• Beer 5

I mean come on peeps...coming off injury and nothing being done during or right after the draft, the price should be going down on him.  Hopefully we stay patient.  We can basically swap out final years with Darnold and Jimmy (or if it's Baker), I don't believe there's a market of a team willing to eat that 2022 money, especially when it can easily become rollover cap without a move.  Let SF and CLE suffer unless they eat these contracts.  

Is Jimmy & Corral much different than Darnold & Corral? No, but if we can manage a swap, it's at least novel. This is something the staff would do to roll the dice somehow but it depends on how low 49ers are willing to go.  

It's something to really just be indifferent about at this point.

Edited by saX man
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Id take Jimmy G. Having a veteran with that kind of experience on this roster would be helpful for the youth. 

we had him.  his name was Teddy.   and Jimmy G would just be our #1 QB.   QB discussion over. 

• Pie 1

There is no reason to give up draft picks or pay a lot of the salary of Mayfield or Garapalo. What's that going to do? Get us to six maybe seven wins and keep Corral on the bench? What's the point. At the very least, wait until they have to be cut. It's like we are playing chicken w/ Seattle right now.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

i just threw up in my mouth a little bit GIF by chuber channel

In all seriousness though, if SF is picking up most of the salary and Carolina is giving up like a 5th or later, then I guess whatever.

SF can cut him and only owe him $1M, like $25M of his salary isn't guaranteed. Don't see why they'd eat $10-15M for a 5th round pick. Maybe agree to an extension and trade but I'd really not want to do that with an average QB coming off shoulder surgery. We on the other hand are negative $30M in cap next year and shouldn't be investing $40M in a Darnold/Jimmy G/PJ/Corral QB battle

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, rebelrouser said:

There is no reason to give up draft picks or pay a lot of the salary of Mayfield or Garapalo. What's that going to do? Get us to six maybe seven wins and keep Corral on the bench? What's the point. At the very least, wait until they have to be cut. It's like we are playing chicken w/ Seattle right now.

Problem is the Panthers know neither guy would sign here as a free agent, which should turn them off on wanting them at all but here we are. 

A game of poker is being played- JimmyG = 24 mill and Mayfield = 19 mill.

Seems both teams want to move them, but cannot come to terms about the salary part. 

HOLLLLLLLLDDDDDD!!!

Let them sweat it out.....Pure BS of the reports that Browns are only willing to pay 3.5 million, LOLOLOLOLOLololol. 49ers are in a  similar deal, giving 3 firsts for QB that needs to sit for 2 years......bruh. They may have to cut Jimmy and take the 3 dead cap hit. HOOOLLLLLLLLLD finesssererer just like you are doing, they are playing dumbass games. 

• Pie 1