• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Steve Reed reports "the Panthers are still interested in" Jimmy Garoppolo

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Even San Francisco media is tired of Checkdown Jimmy G leading the 49ers (msn.com)

yeah, there is.  They are both checkdown QBs that can't and don't make the throws downfield you need from a QB. 

That comparison has been here since Jimmy's name was very first brought up awhile back. 

It's why they have almost identical career completion %.  

Did you even read the article?  Its an opinion piece that cites tweets to push his idea that Trey Lance would win the starting job before the end of last season. 

Uhh, that didn't happen.

3 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Did you even read the article?  Its an opinion piece that cites tweets to push his idea that Trey Lance would win the starting job before the end of last season. 

Uhh, that didn't happen.

you said there was no comparison.  I responded to that narrative. 

The comparison is they are both checkdown QBs.  Teddy and Jimmy G.   

And they do compare statistically too.  I responded to that.  They have very high and similar career completion percentages because of all the checking down. 

whatever the goal of the article is doesn't matter lol.  Unless you think he is falsely being portrayed as a checkdown QB by the author.  That was just the first one that popped up on a google search because it is a long discussed issue of Jimmy's. 

26 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'd just rather get Matt Corral on the field by midseason.  That seems more fruitful and has more purpose.   I think adding these guys stops that from happening. 

I'd just rather the NFL OC decide who starts at QB.

You're all far too eager for a 3rd round pick to start. IF he legitimately beats out Darnold, run him out there. If not then sit him on the bench.

• Beer 2

20 minutes ago, trueblade said:

We already gave up our 2023 3rd round pick to get Corral. Let's not trade away are all draft picks again. 

Jimmy G/Baker might get you 7 to 9 wins. Then you have to decide if you want to sign them to an expensive long term extension, or let them walk for nothing, all without getting a good look at your rookie with game speed reps. 

The better course of action would be to get Corral on the field by Week 8, and see what the rook can do.

Don't construe my comment as any form of support for bringing Garoppolo to Carolina. I'm just saying that if they're going to make another dumb QB move, at least this one can potentially be minor in nature.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'd just rather the NFL OC decide who starts at QB.

You're all far too eager for a 3rd round pick to start. IF he legitimately beats out Darnold, run him out there. If not then sit him on the bench.

Fine w/ that.  I just don't want to add these caliber QBs to the mix. 

I also don't want Matt Corral to be the week 1 starter.  I don't think there will be nor do I want a legit open competition.  But I want him to play to get an idea of what he might have.   Because I think after this season we will want to know to make our next play/move. 

I do think the fanbase/stadium will allow us to see Corral at some point if it is just Sam/PJ on the roster.  I think we just repeat last year and eventually Corral just has to get out there.  Hopefully we won't see it until mideseason. 

• Pie 1

Or just wait until he is released, we sign him to a minimum deal while SF pays his guaranteed money and we still go into the year with a QB that isn't going to get us to the playoffs with a bad shoulder. If Jimmy G was anything close to a good answer the 49ers wouldn't have gone balls deep for Lance.

Or just play Corral/Any cheap free agent and see if we need to pick another QB in 2023. This is getting pathetic and it's been bad but at least I can and will still laugh at these idiots.

Would rather just roll with who we have than give up any more assets.  Jimmy’s a solid starter but we’ve given up too much on poo QB’s to give up even more for an average one.  Bite the bullet and stick with what we have, please.  We just drafted a young guy with a lot of talent; let’s see what he’s got, first