• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's Christian McCaffrey up to?

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's a helluva talent but I'm not so sure he hasn't just kinda checked out on football for the Instagram life since getting that big ass contract. If he doesn't want to risk injury playing for a shitty team, honestly I get it but just man up and demand a trade already if that's the case.

He seem to work all out year round, trying to play through injuries etc. Not sure how you think he’s checked out?

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

He seem to work all out year round, trying to play through injuries etc. Not sure how you think he’s checked out?

He's missed TONS of time with minor injuries. The type of injuries players routinely play through. Listen, I get it. We suck and there's really no point in him playing through nagging injuries risking further injury when he already has his contract. I don't blame him.

But does he really want to play football? If he does and really wants to compete then demand a trade and try to force your way to a contender. If he doesn't, then just keep doing what you're doing. Milk that first minor injury all the way to the IR list and cash those checks and Instagram it up.

• Beer 2

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's missed TONS of time with minor injuries. The type of injuries players routinely play through. Listen, I get it. We suck and there's really no point in him playing through nagging injuries risking further injury when he already has his contract. I don't blame him.

But does he really want to play football? If he does and really wants to compete then demand a trade and try to force your way to a contender. If he doesn't, then just keep doing what you're doing. Milk that first minor injury all the way to the IR list and cash those checks and Instagram it up.

Which of his injuries do you consider “minor?”

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We can just agree to disagree on this one, but that’s ok as well. Hopefully he shocks the world and stay healthy this year to make it easier for Corral.

• Pie 1

Injury History

DateLeagueInjuryDetails

Oct 8, 2016Non-NFLInguinal Hip Pull McCaffrey missed 1 game (vs. Notre Dame). 

Sep 20, 2020NFLPedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3McCaffrey suffered a right high-ankle sprain during Week 2's loss to the Buccaneers and missed six games

Nov 8, 2020NFLShoulder A/C Joint Sprain McCaffrey injured his shoulder on the last drive of Week 9's loss to the Chiefs. He missed 4 games

Dec 9, 2020NFLThigh Glute Strain McCaffrey's thigh tightened up ahead of Week 14 game. He missed 4 games due to that injury.

Sep 23, 2021NFLThigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2McCaffrey suffered a strained hamstring in Week 3's Panthers win over the Texans. He missed five games.

Nov 28, 2021NFLPedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2McCaffrey rolled his left ankle in Week 12's loss to the Dolphins. He was placed on injured reserve Monday and has been ruled out for the remainder of the season.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I am going to bucket this into the “poor takes by LG”

you have good takes some days, and others you have poo like this. You literally have no idea what you are talking about. These guys are getting hit by trucks week in and week out, and you are stating he doesn’t want to compete? You think they just go out there and run their bodies into the ground bc they have nothing else to do?

zero human empathy in your posting today. 

• Beer 2

25 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I am going to bucket this into the “poor takes by LG”

you have good takes some days, and others you have poo like this. You literally have no idea what you are talking about. These guys are getting hit by trucks week in and week out, and you are stating he doesn’t want to compete? You think they just go out there and run their bodies into the ground bc they have nothing else to do?

zero human empathy in your posting today. 

Yes I do. A lot of NFL guys would have never made it through school without football. There is nothing else they can do and rake in the kind of money they make for the vast majority. Not everyone is getting a cushy 300m announcer job when they retire. 

12 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's a helluva talent but I'm not so sure he hasn't just kinda checked out on football for the Instagram life since getting that big ass contract. If he doesn't want to risk injury playing for a shitty team, honestly I get it but just man up and demand a trade already if that's the case.

Man stfu. Do you ever say anything optimistic. You need some good pussy in your life to clear your head off this pessimism. 

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

Yes I do. A lot of NFL guys would have never made it through school without football. There is nothing else they can do and rake in the kind of money they make for the vast majority. Not everyone is getting a cushy 300m announcer job when they retire. 

Id love to see what supporting evidence you have make this claim accurate. It seems that you are operating off of the assumption that these players would not replace all of those football hours, which would be in the 10s of thousands, with any other proffession training, education, or in field experience.

These are no different that any of us, and we (most of us) have careers in a wide variety of fields, so why wouldn't they? They had different paths to their jobs, but it doesnt mean that they couldnt have ended up in a completely diffferent professional space if they made one decision differently. Look at Laurent Duvernay-Tardif... he is a doctor first, and pro football player second...  that alone destroys your narrative of "nothing else they can do"

Also, if you think NFL players make "that kind of money," then you should read up on how the salaries really work out for these players. Kids come into the league broke, and leave the league broke more often than not. Over 60% of NFL players dont even get a 2nd contract, and over 15% of the entire league makes less than 200k over their entire NFL career (thanks to the new practice squad system). 

The average working american makes more money than the average NFL player does over their career. There is data to support that. Here is some math to help out:

The average NFL players career lasts 3.3 years with an average salary of 860k, and since their tax bracket is of the highest, they are taxed 37% of their total income. These contracts do NOT include any long term benefits, retirement benefits, or disability and life insurance. Those all cost separate. 

So with that, lets just leave out cost benefits, and go with salary post tax... That means the average NFL player takes home 541k per year. So after their average duration of their career an NFL player will make 1.8milion dollars. 

Now, lets take the average working american, with NO college degree. They average 41k in the USA for their salary. The average working American works 44 total years, and accrues benefits, and typically recieves a 20% pay raise every 4.1 years. However, for this example I am going to stay flat on career earnings for a working American. The tax bracket for these individuals is the lowest and are only taxed 10%. 

So with that, an average american would make 1.6million dollars over their career not including any pay raises, career transitions, benefits, or retirement. If you add a degree (which all nfl players have) then the average working american will make over 2 million dollars during their career.

There is a false belief that NFL players make more money during their careers than successful working americans. Its simply not true. The NFL is a cruel place for these players, and the NFLPA needs to do more. 

So your comment about "there is nothing else they can do to make that kind of money".. its wrong. Having a stable career in one of the hundreds of fields that net you decent to above average money, will have you much better off than the average NFL player over the long term. 

Bonus note: My company is paying kids out of college at a starting salary of 80k with bonuses. If thats their starting point, then their end point will be over the 10s of millions during their careers.

Edited by TheCasillas

17 minutes ago, frankw said:

All injury rabble aside good on him for supporting the Canes. I don't watch much hockey but I'll take what I can get so I hope they make a run.

Same here - not much of a hockey fan, but I have enjoyed watching the Canes playoff run this year. Not much scoring, but their defense is a thing of beauty. 

14 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

I really wonder what will happen to him when he enivtiably  gets injured multiple times for the 3rd season in a row.  Would the panthers cut  him? Is it cap feasible  to do that after next year? Bc his trade value would be 0 after that 

I am still holding out hope he was just unlucky the last 2 seasons but if it happens again then I will consider him injury prone. 
That is why you don’t overpay RBs.