• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alexander analyzes the upcoming season

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

They could probably do that with Sam and have zero drama to put up with.  I just don't see the point of signing Baker Mayfield as he is a marginal (if that) improvement over Darnold. 

Agreed, I don't see the point of signing Mayfield even if he is cut and released or Cleveland is willing to pay majority of his contract. We don't need him to groom Corral if we really believe in him, if Darnold sucks, throw the kid in and let him learn ASAP. Kind of like what David Mills was for the Texans last year. 

Mayfield also peaked even after signing a great offensive minded HC in Stefanski and with his supporting cast in Cleveland. What makes people think that he will thrive here? Panthers need to stop taking bets on known commodities, if you're going to gamble then gamble on the potential! 

48 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

More info on the quarterback situation from Albert Breer...

coming back from the weekend following the team’s first week of on-field work, Darnold made a big jump. 

MMQB

I can't imagine think they will put that much stock into Sam looking good in shorts with no pass rush? 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I can't imagine think they will put that much stock into Sam looking good in shorts with no pass rush? 

Yeah, wait until he has real pass rushers and he can get hit! Then he will see more ghosts!

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

More info on the quarterback situation from Albert Breer...

The Panthers’ quarterback situation remains in flux. New offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo had hopes he could turn Sam Darnold around, and there’s reason for cautious optimism there—coming back from the weekend following the team’s first week of on-field work, Darnold made a big jump. Meanwhile, rookie Matt Corral picked up the offense nicely, coming from Lane Kiffin’s simplistic, RPO-heavy scheme at Ole Miss. He flashed competitiveness and a whip for a right arm, has had no issues through lighter install days and managed himself well through the heavier installs. Corral is lights-out after the snap but still swimming mentally a little before the snap.

So where does that leave the Panthers? The two operative questions, along those lines, then are whether Darnold can build enough belief in those around him after the way last year went, and how quickly Corral comes along. I don’t think Carolina has the answer to either one of those questions yet, and may not for a while, which leaves the door open for Baker Mayfield. But for Carolina to do it, my sense is the Browns would have to eat a healthy majority of Mayfield’s $18.858 million number for 2022. So for now, they’re monitoring that situation, with how the spring goes for Darnold and Corral, one way or the other, over the next month a big variable that could change their posture with Cleveland. Of course, if the Browns eat more salary sooner, I think the possibility exists he could be moved to Carolina (or Seattle) in the next few weeks.

MMQB

The Darnold bs will sort itself out, this is the exciting stuff: “Meanwhile, rookie Matt Corral picked up the offense nicely, coming from Lane Kiffin’s simplistic, RPO-heavy scheme at Ole Miss. He flashed competitiveness and a whip for a right arm, has had no issues through lighter install days and managed himself well through the heavier installs. Corral is lights-out after the snap but still swimming mentally a little before the snap.”

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

He signs elsewhere for 2023, We'll be picking in the mid teens and looking for Rhules 4th journeyman QB in 4 years. Sounds like a waste of time to me

Yep.  Give Corral a chance to play this season to see if there is anything there.  That will let us decided if we draft one from the next draft class or not.  I could give two shits about Rhule getting an extra win or two with Baker/Jimmy.  I want us to get some stability at the QB position. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sam when the pressure ramps up

Jesus dude. How many pressure packed situations have you ever been in?

The Panthers don't give you enough negative material? Now you have to go in search of it?

Empathy, thou art a heartless bit(h.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

So....is the answer of how to avoid a 5th losing season per the article to sign Baker Mayfield? 

The basic premise of the article is that the Panthers needed to fix two things after last year - those being the offensive line and the quarterback position - and they look to have seemingly fixed one of the two. Hence the primary question and discussion now revolves around how to correct the second issue.

Mayfield is one option, and in Alexander's opinion, the best one.

In my opinion, that conclusion is highly debatable.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

The basic premise of the article is that the Panthers needed to fix two things after last year - those being the offensive line and the quarterback position - and they look to have seemingly fixed one of the two.

Hence the primary question and discussion revolves around how to correct the second issue.

Mayfield is one option, and in Alexander's opinion, the best option.

In my opinion, that's very debatable.

I mean, throw them all out week 1....and I'd concede Baker is better than every QB named going in to week 1. 

But that doesn't make Baker a good QB.  Nor does playing him really serve a purpose outside of Rhule trying to squeak out the max possible wins.  I'd rather Rhule play whatever combo of his handpicked Sam/PJ to start off the year and see what Matt Corral has.  That will help us make decisions next offseason. 

• Pie 1