• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers never considered Malik or Pickett an option

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

If you are going to gamble on longshot QB's, may as well do it in bulk. I really wouldn't have hated that idea at all. 

Agreed. I didn’t really think about it but if our favorite QBs were Corral and Howell, why wouldn’t you double up for a day 3 pick? If you are worried one of them crumbles under pressure then they weren’t going to be the guy anyway. It’s like when we picked up Sam’s 5th year to boost his confidence we had in him. If he needs that after 3 years in the NFL, you should never have given up 3 picks to get him.

• Beer 4

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Agreed. I didn’t really think about it but if our favorite QBs were Corral and Howell, why wouldn’t you double up for a day 3 pick? If you are worried one of them crumbles under pressure then they weren’t going to be the guy anyway. It’s like when we picked up Sam’s 5th year to boost his confidence we had in him. If he needs that after 3 years in the NFL, you should never have given up 3 picks to get him.

Yeah, it wasn't honestly in my mind either at the time but especially after what we picked in the 4th, why not just take him too? There really isn't much downside. If either is a massive bust, so be it. If both are, maybe that is something that will haunt you at some level. But if you even get one solid backup from the two, it's a net positive. If you get a mediocre NFL starter, it was a home run. If you get a franchise QB, you hit a fuging grand slam. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean Rhule drafting/signing a player he has a history with wouldn't really be THAT out of the ordinary based on his brief history here.  It's the reason PJ Walker still has a roster spot

Backup QB's generally aren't world beaters. Maybe he's the worst in the league, but I'd doubt that. I bet there are worse #2's then PJ. Also, he's cheap. I don't think they are going to bring in someone better for same or less money.

or Robbie Anderson getting his extension.

Robbie had a career year. That's why he got an extension. He sucked with Darnold as QB, excelled with a different QB, then SURPRISE he sucked with Darnold as QB again. Are you really surprised he sucked with Darnold as QB again?

Also move like trading for Darnold and picking up his fifth year before he even took a snap has many of us fans skeptical of this current staff.

This was idiotic. The trade okay, fine. The 5th year option was absolutely foolish. This really doesn't have anything to do with having a history with players though.

Poor evaluation of QB's, but that's not what was really being talked about. The post you quoted was about posters bitching Picket would be the pick since Rhule recruited him, not that Rhule can't evaluate QB. The former take is idiotic, the latter is quite reasonable.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

If you are going to gamble on longshot QB's, may as well do it in bulk. I really wouldn't have hated that idea at all. 

According to Jonathan Alexander the Panthers in fact did consider drafting howell in the 4rth to go with Corral.  He didnt say why they didnt just that it was discussed

• Beer 1

The problem with taking Corral and Howell is that if Howell is our third qb he would get little work making it hard to evaluate him. Given we may think that next years qbs are better than this and we may very well pick one then, it made little sense to draft two qbs if you think Corral is the real deal.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Developing one young quarterback is an extremely detailed and often difficult process.

More than one QB coach has stayed that trying to coach up two at the same time is nearly impossible.

Throw in that if we are indeed keeping Darnold, you've got that to deal with as well.

• Beer 1

On 5/26/2022 at 2:18 PM, iamhubby1 said:

So it's pretty safe to say you are a Matty guy? Me too.

Because our roster is so much better than that Rebel roster last year? Maybe he can eke out a few more wins for us? Get us to 12, or, heck, even 13.  lol

Yes. I am an Ole Miss fan too so this really worked out for me.  

On 5/27/2022 at 9:19 AM, Mr. Scot said:

Developing one young quarterback is an extremely detailed and often difficult process.

More than one QB coach has stayed that trying to coach up two at the same time is nearly impossible.

Throw in that if we are indeed keeping Darnold, you've got that to deal with as well.

The Washington Redskins were able to do it with Cousins and RG3. Worth noting. Not disagreeing with you, just worth acknowledging. 

• Pie 1

On 5/26/2022 at 4:48 PM, kungfoodude said:

I thought the same thing.  Howell went at pick 144.  Ikem at 6, Corral at 94, and Brandon Smith at 120.

I guess the question becomes, is Brandon Smith worth more than a second swing at QB?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, poundaway said:

I guess the question becomes, is Brandon Smith worth more than a second swing at QB?

Yes. I think he will be a monster for us. Another will Witherspoon type 

Edited by TheCasillas

3 hours ago, poundaway said:

I thought the same thing.  Howell went at pick 144.  Ikem at 6, Corral at 94, and Brandon Smith at 120.

Absolutely not.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:24 PM, musicman said:

They really liked Corral for his leadership, as we'll toughness and his quick release. Leadership is everything. The QB position is not just about talent, as Darnold has a ton of talent. I think thats why they rated Corral first. 

Sounds a bit like, hey let's run to the fence guy is thinking, hey I like this dude's tactics n maybe I don't have to be a nerd to achieve that .