• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next round of contract extensions are no joke

TheCasillas

3. EDGE BRIAN BURNS, CAROLINA PANTHERS

No. 16 overall pick

Burns was productive at Florida State and was a favorite of many analysts prior to the 2019 draft, but he fell to the No. 16 overall pick because of questions surrounding his size and ability to defend against the run. Through three seasons these concerns appear to have some merit, as Burns has struggled against the run and as a tackler. However, that is not what gets an edge rusher paid in this league — getting after the quarterback does, and that's where Burns excels.

Burns' 107 quarterback pressures over the last two seasons rank 11th among edge defenders, his 83.8 pass-rush grade ranks 16th, and his 18 sacks are tied for 12th with Tampa Bay Buccaneers edge defender Shaquil Barrett.

Panthers general manager Scott Fitterer has made it clear that getting a long-term deal done with Burns is a top priority.

Contract projection: Five years, $120 million ($24M per year), $95 million total guaranteed

source:  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-280-million-kyler-murray-how-much-money-nick-bosa-deebo-samuel-get-2022

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

yea I don’t think we have a choice. But Burns needs help, he isn’t elite take over one man army kind of player. And we have no one.

i reallly really don’t like the look of the dline this year, at all. have a feeling it’s going to be very bad. brown is on pace to set it back big time.

37 minutes ago, onmyown said:

yea I don’t think we have a choice. But Burns needs help, he isn’t elite take over one man army kind of player. And we have no one.

i reallly really don’t like the look of the dline this year, at all. have a feeling it’s going to be very bad. brown is on pace to set it back big time.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Brown bounce back nicely. Seems like everyone has forgotten that he had a pretty promising rookie season. I expect the DL to take a step back in rushing the passer but take a significant step forward stopping the run. Having Reddick and Burns at DE gives you some serious speed to get after the QB with the serious tradeoff that your lacking significantly in run stuffing ability.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

50 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Who was here before Riddick was on the other side???... the two years before 

honestly, those kind of numbers surprise me, but I know they are becoming the norm as the salary cap increases each year.  Brian will be our highest paid player in franchise history at 24 mill a year.  

He's also only 24 years old, so his prime is ahead of him.  Maybe he'll out-perform the contract.

Re-do all the contracts we did this year to free up for Air Thruster and push as much of those into 2022 as we can. Basically the opposite of what we did with them originally. Then let Burns play this year and if he balls out like we all hope then we will be golden to sign him long term.

Getting Sam off the books and eating g as much this year for guys under contract would open a lot of options for us next year.