• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next round of contract extensions are no joke

TheCasillas

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Brown bounce back nicely. Seems like everyone has forgotten that he had a pretty promising rookie season. I expect the DL to take a step back in rushing the passer but take a significant step forward stopping the run. Having Reddick and Burns at DE gives you some serious speed to get after the QB with the serious tradeoff that your lacking significantly in run stuffing ability.

He is going to have to bounce back well, because he was below average last season.

I gotta be honest, we need Burns to take a step forward, as well. Right now it might be hard to justify giving him a huge contract based on production.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Brown bounce back nicely. Seems like everyone has forgotten that he had a pretty promising rookie season. I expect the DL to take a step back in rushing the passer but take a significant step forward stopping the run. Having Reddick and Burns at DE gives you some serious speed to get after the QB with the serious tradeoff that your lacking significantly in run stuffing ability.

I am fine with brining back Brown if he improves and actually shows why he was drafted top 10. 
I didn’t like the pick at the time and I still don’t. 
Thanks Hurney. 

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I am fine with brining back Brown if he improves and actually shows why he was drafted top 10. 
I didn’t like the pick at the time and I still don’t. 
Thanks Hurney. 

Not sure how this Brown vs. Burns argument came to light anyway. The Burns long-term decision is this year. Brown still has two more years and then a potential third via the fifth year option. There's no pressing decision on Brown at all.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

18 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree with this. Brown showed a lot of promise as a rookie, and it carried over into the first couple games of last year. But he had a major falling out with Rhule and it seemed his attitude wasn’t in the best place. But it’s a new season and he has the potential to bounce back quite well. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I agree with this. Brown showed a lot of promise as a rookie, and it carried over into the first couple games of last year. But he had a major falling out with Rhule and it seemed his attitude wasn’t in the best place. But it’s a new season and he has the potential to bounce back quite well. 

I don't know what happened, I just hope he bounces back strong. I absolutely think he has what it takes to be a top flight NFL DT.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't know what happened, I just hope he bounces back strong. I absolutely think he has what it takes to be a top flight NFL DT.

I didn't like him lashing out at the fans in frustration last season. He needs to stop paying attention to the fans or social media and keep his mind in his craft.

We need a very good year from him otherwise that pick is gonna start looking foolish. We can't afford to have bust top 10 picks. Especially given how few elite talent guys we have on the roster.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I didn't like him lashing out at the fans in frustration last season. He needs to stop paying attention to the fans or social media and keep his mind in his craft.

We need a very good year from him otherwise that pick is gonna start looking foolish. We can't afford to have bust top 10 picks. Especially given how few elite talent guys we have on the roster.

Yep. Bad teams tend to stay bad in large part because they often squander the premium picks their sucking lands them.

• Beer 1

That contract sounds a bit high to me based on his production thus far. I found a list of DE salaries in 2021:

DE/Edge
Joey Bosa $27,000,000 LAC
Myles Garrett $25,000,000 CLE
Khalil Mac $23,500,000 CHI
DeMarcus Lawrence $21,000,000 DAL
Leonard Williams $21,000,000 NYG

Frank Clark $20,800,000 KC
Von Miller $19,016,667 DEN
Trey Flowers $18,000,000 DET
Cameron Jordan $17,500,000 NO
Dee Ford $17,100,000 SF

Arik Armstead $17,000,000 SF
Za'Darius Smith $16,500,000 GB
Bud Dupree $16,500,000 TEN
Chandler Jones $16,500,000 AZ
Leonard Floyd $16,000,000 LAR

He's weak against the run and he's average or above average as a rusher statistically but he is still young for his experience. But 25m per year would put him at the top of the list. I understand that the cap is expected to go up but I would still consider him more around the 20m per year range  at this point. For 25m I'd like to see him take the next step first. 

2 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

That contract sounds a bit high to me based on his production thus far. I found a list of DE salaries in 2021:

DE/Edge
Joey Bosa $27,000,000 LAC
Myles Garrett $25,000,000 CLE
Khalil Mac $23,500,000 CHI
DeMarcus Lawrence $21,000,000 DAL
Leonard Williams $21,000,000 NYG

Frank Clark $20,800,000 KC
Von Miller $19,016,667 DEN
Trey Flowers $18,000,000 DET
Cameron Jordan $17,500,000 NO
Dee Ford $17,100,000 SF

Arik Armstead $17,000,000 SF
Za'Darius Smith $16,500,000 GB
Bud Dupree $16,500,000 TEN
Chandler Jones $16,500,000 AZ
Leonard Floyd $16,000,000 LAR

He's weak against the run and he's average or above average as a rusher statistically but he is still young for his experience. But 25m per year would put him at the top of the list. I understand that the cap is expected to go up but I would still consider him more around the 20m per year range  at this point. For 25m I'd like to see him take the next step first. 

There will be a significant explosion in salaries, some of that has already creeped into the free agent market.

$25 mil for a second tier pass rusher might not be outlandish soon. But, if Burns really starts to improve, $25 mil will seem like a bargain.