• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Panthers staff not all on same page about acquiring Browns QB Baker Mayfield

3 hours ago, Smithers said:

Now being reported that the browns expect Watson to be suspended the entire 2022 season.  Baker may as well stay there, play out the season as the starter, and hope he has a good enough year to land a major contract in the off-season.

I do believe the Browns will live and die with Brissett. Baker, barring any unforeseen circumstances, has probably played his last down as a Brown.

The Panthers might be a poo show, but the Browns repeatedly remind everyone why they're the Browns. These guys find a way to bungle everything in the most hilarious manner possible.

Honestly, if I'm Mayfield I'm telling them they have two choices - release me or give me a one year contract equivalent to the franchise tag value. He has Cleveland by the balls.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Panthers might be a poo show, but the Browns repeatedly remind everyone why they're the Browns. These guys find a way to bungle everything in the most hilarious manner possible.

Honestly, if I'm Mayfield I'm telling them they have two choices - release me or give me a one year contract equivalent to the franchise tag value. He has Cleveland by the balls.

No he doesn't.  The Browns have him by the balls.  He signed a contract, they guaranteed his salary this year.  If he holds out, he doesn't get the year credit, so he would have to play for the Browns in 2023 under that 18 million.

Now, the Browns could ask him to NOT report.  They would still be on the hook for his salary in that case, but Baker would get his year credit and the ability to go wherever he wants next offseason.  It also wouldn't preclude him being traded in the future . . . but that's another (*@# show waiting to happen.

It's just a completely toxic situation for all parties because it was handled incredibly poorly.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I haven't seen what the latest allegations against Watson are, but his defense team apparently responded pretty angrily.

His defense team got very rankled at the woman's accusations of attorney intimidation.

It seems like such a high profile law firm wouldn't involve themselves in intimidation tactics (because they know they don't have to), but I guess you never know. 

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He is already under contract. The same as Sam. Why would they give him a new one? 

11 minutes ago, BrianS said:

No he doesn't.  The Browns have him by the balls.  He signed a contract, they guaranteed his salary this year.  If he holds out, he doesn't get the year credit, so he would have to play for the Browns in 2023 under that 18 million.

Now, the Browns could ask him to NOT report.  They would still be on the hook for his salary in that case, but Baker would get his year credit and the ability to go wherever he wants next offseason.  It also wouldn't preclude him being traded in the future . . . but that's another (*@# show waiting to happen.

It's just a completely toxic situation for all parties because it was handled incredibly poorly.

You think the Browns are going to leave all that cap space on the sidelines? He's not Deshaun Watson with massive trade value. He's a guy they're struggling to give away on the trade market. 

Mayfield will end up traded with the Browns paying nearly all of his salary or he'll end up getting released.

4 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

He is already under contract. The same as Sam. Why would they give him a new one? 

Because he's not going to play under his current one because he doesn't want to be in Cleveland and the Browns don't want him in Cleveland either. This whole situation is caused by both sides of the equation massively overestimating Baker Mayfield's value to the rest of the NFL. The Browns really thought they were going to be able to trade him for a decent return. Hell, why wouldn't they after seeing what the Panthers gave up for the worst starting QB in recent memory? Baker thought he'd have multiple suitors and basically end up being able to pick his landing spot.

Now here they both sit looking like the dumbasses that they are. 😂

5 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Sure, he doesn't really have the Browns by the balls, but I don't believe that the Browns have him by the balls either. They lost that grip when they lied to him. He's a malcontent that can sink their season in so many ways if they allow him to see the field. They're not going to do that. It's better for all the parties involved for them to pay him to stay away.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Because he's not going to play under his current one because he doesn't want to be in Cleveland and the Browns don't want him in Cleveland either. This whole situation is caused by both sides of the equation massively overestimating Baker Mayfield's value to the rest of the NFL. The Browns really thought they were going to be able to trade him for a decent return. Hell, why wouldn't they after seeing what the Panthers gave up for the worst starting QB in recent memory? Baker thought he'd have multiple suitors and basically end up being able to pick his landing spot.

Now here they both sit looking like the dumbasses that they are. 😂

That's all well and good. But it does not address the question. Why should the Browns give him a new contract? Let alone for Franchise QB Tag money?

They are already paying him, when they don't want him. Now you want them to pay him even more? Just doesn't make sense to me?

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Sure, he doesn't really have the Browns by the balls, but I don't believe that the Browns have him by the balls either. They lost that grip when they lied to him. He's a malcontent that can sink their season in so many ways if they allow him to see the field. They're not going to do that. It's better for all the parties involved for them to pay him to stay away.

I can see that bolded part playing out. He has to be there to get paid. They don't want him there. The answer? Pay him to stay away.

10 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

That's all well and good. But it does not address the question. Why should the Browns give him a new contract? Let alone for Franchise QB Tag money?

They are already paying him, when they don't want him. Now you want them to pay him even more? Just doesn't make sense to me?

They shouldn't. But that's what I'd demand if I was on the Mayfield side. At this point, both sides just want a divorce. Force the issue. The Browns are just holding onto him at this point hoping a QB gets injured in camp changing the market. It's a long shot. 

The 4D chess move would be for Baker to come out and say how excited he is to suit up for the Browns again once Watson is suspended. 😂

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They shouldn't. But that's what I'd demand if I was on the Mayfield side. At this point, both sides just want a divorce. Force the issue. The Browns are just holding onto him at this point hoping a QB gets injured in camp changing the market. It's a long shot. 

Again, why? What are you trying to accomplish? They can't cut you. They can't trade you. They have no choice but to pay you. They have no incentive to pay you more.

Oh well, chalk this up as one of those things that make you go hmm, ok then.

4 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Again, why? What are you trying to accomplish? They can't cut you. They can't trade you. They have no choice but to pay you. They have no incentive to pay you more.

Oh well, chalk this up as one of those things that make you go hmm, ok then.

Per numerous credible reports he would've already been traded if the Browns were willing to take on more of his salary. They're just not yet willing to accept the market price. Hence why if I was Mayfield I'd ratchet up the noise to force my way out. I mean, the rest of the league already knows he's toxic.