• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Canes Off-season Thread

7 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. The issues with forwards and goalies are more concerning to me than the blue line when it comes to the cap. 

Agreed.

Also, 2.5M for a pretty serviceable 3rd Line Dman is not unreasonable at all.  I think Bear will be back and hopefully after 1 year in the system will be better.

I don't know if Domi is back, I think it depends on how much he is asking for and can get.

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Personally I think we should have traded Necas for Chychrun during the season and I definitely think we need to revisit now.

I am also intrigued by your thought on being able to get Chychrun for Necas.  I think at this point it would take more than just Necas, and I don't think the Canes want to mortgage the future when they have no huge issues on the blue line.

• Pie 1

57 minutes ago, 54th man said:

I'm not really impressed with kotkeniemi 

I think the only way we'll know what we have with KK is if he is at C all year.  The Canes either struck gold with that OS or they may have poo'd the bed, only time will tell and it will take putting him at C and keeping him at C IMO.

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. The issues with forwards and goalies are more concerning to me than the blue line when it comes to the cap. 

Forwards are definitely a concern but I think the Canes made their bed when they elected to give Kotkaniemi an eight year extension.

He’s getting paid like a good 3C which he probably will be, but because of additional needs, he might need to play 2C next year.

An elite goal scorer is a need for this team so Gaudreau or Forsberg should be on our short list but if we add them and then resign Nino to a team friendly discount ($5.25) and then sign TDA to a team friendly discount ($4.5M) then we’ve exhausted all our cap depending on what we do with Necas.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

I am also intrigued by your thought on being able to get Chychrun for Necas.  I think at this point it would take more than just Necas, and I don't think the Canes want to mortgage the future when they have no huge issues on the blue line.

Now it will definitely take more… it would have to be Necas, Raanta (for cap reasons), a first round pick, a second round pick, and probably B+ prospect (Suzuki, Rees, or Koivunen).

22 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

I think the only way we'll know what we have with KK is if he is at C all year.  The Canes either struck gold with that OS or they may have poo'd the bed, only time will tell and it will take putting him at C and keeping him at C IMO.

I hope they struck gold.  They must be convinced he's going to develop into a good player with the contract they gave him.

37 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

goaltending only became an issue in the last two games IMO. Raanta was just gassed. He was pretty lights out for awhile. Two back to back 7 games series for a backup with an untested rookie behind him, he gave it all he had. They just needed Anderson to come back faster. Honestly I am cool with Anderson and Kochetkov next season. Maybe the Hurricanes can buy low on Carter Hart from the Flyers if they give up on him for some extra depth and competition. 

Bottom line is they have to go out and get a couple pure goal scorers or they aren't gonna make it past the second round. Trocheck, Necas, Niederriter...those guys aren't closers. They are good players but they need someone to be an elite goal scorer. They need a perfection line like Boston has. I think Seth Jarvis can be a piece of that but they need more. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

42 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

This is it right here. Hopefully Koochie is the future. But they need a goal score that’s going to come in and push Aho and 37. You can never have too many great goal scorers. Is that Jarvis is that Drury? I feel like the answer is a high-end free agent we could get with a trade package

45 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Listening to our local sports talk in Raleigh today they’re talking about guys like necas Domi KK and a few others that simply should’ve been benched in the playoffs. It’s not the worst idea either. 

Necas definitely should have. Really you could've benched any of our "top guys".

47 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

they also talked about how Rod should take some heat for not changing out any veterans he’s loyal to. I kind of agree there as well

Rod needs better assistant coaching around him to help with the small things and special teams. 

• Pie 1