• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Canes Off-season Thread

I'm about as disappointed after that season as I could possibly be. That's 2 straight years of being a top 3-5 regular season team but getting knocked out in the 2nd round. Tampa is one thing, they've won the Cup the last 2 years. But to lose to the Rags at home in game 7 and get blown out in the process is just unacceptable. Something needs to change. I'd start with whoever the hell coaches our powerplay. Also trade Necas/futures for a star forward who can score. JT Miller would be intriguing. Also a big fan of Forsberg in Nashville who we could sign as a UFA but seems likely he'll re-sign with the Preds.

5 hours ago, hepcat said:

Trocheck, Necas, Niederriter...those guys aren't closers.

Only one of those will be back- Nino. And he's not built to be a "closer" playing where he is on the grinder line.

4 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Necas definitely should have.

Necas got benched during the season when he slumped and apparently took on an attitude to go with it. If I'm looking to move someone, he's probably near the top of the list.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

Only one of those will be back- Nino. And he's not built to be a "closer" playing where he is on the grinder line.

Necas got benched during the season when he slumped and apparently took on an attitude to go with it. If I'm looking to move someone, he's probably near the top of the list.

This 100%.

Nino is a Rod guy and I think eventually he and Drury could form a hell of a third line with some other winger in a couple of years.

I like Trocheck but he’s getting older and I don’t think there is room to keep him for what he provides.

As far as Necas, he either takes a bridge or you trade his rights. Worst case, someone offer sheets him and you get compensated. A mistake would be giving him a 5x$5M.

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

I’m not as over Necas as the rest of y’all are. I’d give him one more year. Svech had a sophomore slump last season. Granted not as bad. I think Necas will have a healthy bounce back season next season. 

• Beer 1

Long time Cane fan but not real hockey smart if that makes sense. Read the site for a while, decided to join after the season was over since there was not much I could add to the conversation. Hope I don't look too stupid in asking some questions regarding the Canes and hockey in general. 

4 minutes ago, Lightman said:

Long time Cane fan but not real hockey smart if that makes sense. Read the site for a while, decided to join after the season was over since there was not much I could add to the conversation. Hope I don't look too stupid in asking some questions regarding the Canes and hockey in general. 

We welcome all new Caniacs to the board for discussion.  Ask anything and all of us other non-experts will chirp in and try to help you out.

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

I just can't believe the difference in Necas from last season/playoffs to what we saw down the stretch and in these playoffs.  I almost have to believe his lack of maturity got the best of him and since he was benched he got a chip on his shoulder and half assed it for the remainder of the year.  We don't need that and if Rod and the front office feel the same he has to go.

I am just surprised because he never seemed like "that" kind of kid.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

We welcome all new Caniacs to the board for discussion.  Ask anything and all of us other non-experts will chirp in and try to help you out.

Thanks.  Tough ending to the season. Hoping they could hold on till Anderson returned but just wasnt meant to be. What I read he was cleared but didnt feel ready to play.. is that normal for most players?

1 minute ago, Lightman said:

Thanks.  Tough ending to the season. Hoping they could hold on till Anderson returned but just wasnt meant to be. What I read he was cleared but didnt feel ready to play.. is that normal for most players?

It is for Andersen. He’s a pretty fragile player all in all. Not someone I’d pick to make a playoff run. Especially when we could have gotten Grubauer for the same price. 

Just now, Harbingers said:

It is for Andersen. He’s a pretty fragile player all in all. Not someone I’d pick to make a playoff run. Especially when we could have gotten Grubauer for the same price. 

Ok.. just seemed odd to me. I would think you would want to be out there in the playoffs if at all possible. Is he someone you can trust mentally for next year?

I think Necas is a case of a player just not fitting the system. He’s a lot like Elias Lindholm in my opinion in that he’s a good skater who likes to get up and down the ice.

Ideally, you’d play him with two other forwards who are good skaters (Aho and Jarvis) but even then, I’m just not sure if he can play a strong forechecking game.

If we can acquire a top four defenseman for him without adding to much (i.e. Drury, Morrow, or Kochetkov) then I’d go ahead and make the trade.

I’d only sign Necas to a bridge contract (2x$4.25M) and even then if he doesn’t bounce back next year then he holds no value whatsoever which makes it really tough to keep him this year as you want to at least get something out of him.