• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Canes Off-season Thread

1 minute ago, Lightman said:

Ok.. just seemed odd to me. I would think you would want to be out there in the playoffs if at all possible. Is he someone you can trust mentally for next year?

For a season run, ya. But we need Kochetkov as backup to really find his stride. Throwing him in regular season he was damn good. Post season I think he might have taken game six IF he was prepped as the starter. Remember this dude barely even speaks English right now. 

This will be the last time I say it. But playing Raanta in game six was the dumbest move of the playoffs. When he was pulled it killed him, he was not happy(with himself). Where as if they had just told him he’s resting a game. He would have taken it differently. We had a gimme road game, who knows Freddie or Kochetkov could have pulled a freak win or we go home with a four day rested Raanta. 

Now Raanta has got to hit the road one way or the other and I’m not knocking the guy. I like him, but we have to find a long term sustainable goalie. Both him and Freddie aren’t it. 

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

For a season run, ya. But we need Kochetkov as backup to really find his stride. Throwing him in regular season he was damn good. Post season I think he might have taken game six IF he was prepped as the starter. Remember this dude barely even speaks English right now. 

This will be the last time I say it. But playing Raanta in game six was the dumbest move of the playoffs. When he was pulled it killed him, he was not happy(with himself). Where as if they had just told him he’s resting a game. He would have taken it differently. We had a gimme road game, who knows Freddie or Kochetkov could have pulled a freak win or we go home with a four day rested Raanta. 

Now Raanta has got to hit the road one way or the other and I’m not knocking the guy. I like him, but we have to find a long term sustainable goalie. Both him and Freddie aren’t it. 

Before Anderson got hurt I was like wow this guy is really good and feel like the Canes would have made the finals with him in net. One thing I noticed, few months ago he was named the first star and was interviewed after the game, crowd was chanting his name and all but he looked uninterested. Is that just his demeanor? 

3 minutes ago, Lightman said:

Before Anderson got hurt I was like wow this guy is really good and feel like the Canes would have made the finals with him in net. One thing I noticed, few months ago he was named the first star and was interviewed after the game, crowd was chanting his name and all but he looked uninterested. Is that just his demeanor? 

Yes. He sounds like a pretty neutral guy. 

Just now, Harbingers said:

Yes. He sounds like a pretty neutral guy. 

ok. I feel like the Canes are built to score 2 and win 2-0 or 2-1 so great goaltender and solid defense is the key.  I watch other teams it seems they clearly have a top line and really good 2nd line. Canes seem to have solid 4 lines but not one really good one. Is that fair to say?

5 minutes ago, Lightman said:

ok. I feel like the Canes are built to score 2 and win 2-0 or 2-1 so great goaltender and solid defense is the key.  I watch other teams it seems they clearly have a top line and really good 2nd line. Canes seem to have solid 4 lines but not one really good one. Is that fair to say?

I’m not sure about that. Before the All-Star break we were scoring 456+ goals every other night while having stellar goaltending. It wasn’t till after the All-Star break when we fell off a cliff. This team legit looked like a worldbeater before that for the All-Star break.  Our power play was cooking and our penalty kill was great as well. After the All-Star break or power-play got worse but P kill got better which is honestly what saved us in most games.   

2 minutes ago, Lightman said:

Avs have scored 6 with 13 minutes to go in the second.

I love hockey but honestly I invested a ton of energy and money into the team going to all home games and playoffs minus a couple games. I prob won’t watch too much more playoff hockey because I just need an emotional break before I start the season ticket journey up again in the fall. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

I’m not sure about that. Before the All-Star break we were scoring 456+ goals every other night while having stellar goaltending. It wasn’t till after the All-Star break when we fell off a cliff. This team legit looked like a worldbeater before that for the All-Star break.  Our power play was cooking and our penalty kill was great as well. After the All-Star break or power-play got worse but P kill got better which is honestly what saved us in most games.   

Sorry I didnt mean to sound like they couldnt score but 2.. was saying they were built around great goaltending and great defense rather than wide open hockey. Maybe Im wrong on that.

6 minutes ago, Lightman said:

Mostly fair yes. Caveat, We are capable of scoring way more. We have some really high danger scorers and excellent net front when we are on. But when defenses turtle(clog the net front) and we face good goalies we struggle this season, as compared to last. Mostly because of reason A. When I say high danger it’s a scoring term. Meaning if the goalie isn’t on their game. It’s going in. Low dangers we so a ton of last night. Like those that go in the goalies bread basket. 

Also accounting for the dozen posts we hit. But that’s another story. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Lightman said:

Avs have scored 6 with 13 minutes to go in the second.

Welcome by the way. See you just join like an hour ago ha!  This is A very good group of dedicated hockey fans on this message board.  Lots of good knowledge about the game   Minus a couple turds here and there I really like these folks. 

• Poo 1

I love hockey but honestly I invested a ton of energy and money into the team going to all home games and playoffs minus a couple games. I prob won’t watch too much more playoff hockey because I just need an emotional break before I start the season ticket journey up again in the fall. 

I can understand that. It seems after the Stanley Cup Finals they take 2 weeks off and open training camp. I realize it's longer but it seems almost year round to me for some reason.

• Pie 1

Welcome by the way. See you just join like an hour ago ha!  This is A very good group of dedicated hockey fans on this message board.  Lots of good knowledge about the game   Minus a couple turds here and there I really like these folks. 

Thanks.. I have been to a couple of games over the years. Saw the Canes beat Washington I think maybe 10 years ago. I have told folks it is the biggest difference in being in person vs the TV of any sports event I have been to.

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Mostly fair yes. Caveat, We are capable of scoring way more. We have some really high danger scorers and excellent net front when we are on. But when defenses turtle(clog the net front) and we face good goalies we struggle this season, as compared to last. Mostly because of reason A. When I say high danger it’s a scoring term. Meaning if the goalie isn’t on their game. It’s going in. Low dangers we so a ton of last night. Like those that go in the goalies bread basket. 

Also accounting for the dozen posts we hit. But that’s another story. 

Ah yes, the posts......sometimes the Hockey Gods just aren't with you.  That was the case in the Rangers series, but not the reason we lost.

I don't know why we didn't have better net front presence on the PP and even 5 on 5.  It's like we just moved away from it.  Staal has been good at it, someone like Nino would be good, I know Stepan had played net front in his career....it still boggles my mind that he didn't get any playing time in the series, maybe RBA thought he was a step too slow, nagging injury??

20 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

By turds you mean people without your unrealistically positive attitude. Grow up.