• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Solid depth on OL

musicman

On paper at least,  it looks like the Panthers will have a very good upgraded offensive line this year and shake last years grade as the second - worst offensive line in the NFL..

(" Pro Football Focus gave the Panthers the second-worst offensive line grade in the NFL. They allowed 193 pressures, which was the most allowed in the league, according to Pro Football Reference. The Panthers quarterbacks were pressured on 28.3% of their dropbacks, which was also a league worst.")

1 minute ago, KatsAzz said:

On paper at least,  it looks like the Panthers will have a very good upgraded offensive line this year and shake last years grade as the second - worst offensive line in the NFL..

(" Pro Football Focus gave the Panthers the second-worst offensive line grade in the NFL. They allowed 193 pressures, which was the most allowed in the league, according to Pro Football Reference. The Panthers quarterbacks were pressured on 28.3% of their dropbacks, which was also a league worst.")

I mean, if we can't improve over that, I would fire everyone in the entire organization. Just start at the top and hand pink slips out on the way down. 

Even if we still suck on the line, there just isn't an excuse for being that bad again. I mean....ZERO excuse.

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

If a cockeyed optimistic Homer views the team through rose colored glasses?

What color glasses do the Cult of Negativity wear? Blacked out welders glasses? Peaky Blinders?

The former see this Oline as Vastly improved. It has gone from a marked weakness, to an obvious strength.

Not sure what the later see, at all? Besides Rhule that is.

John Denver Quote: “Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy.”

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Lol. I think recent history has proven I am not the one emotionally overwhelmed by a message board and a lack of team success, given your recent hiatus after successive meltdowns.

The Panthers sucking impacts me in terms of being frustrated that my season tickets are pointless to own. Other than that, if they keep sucking I will just keep watching with friends and roasting the team during the game. It's entertaining enough when the team is as bad as we have been for the past four years.

There is little to no reason to be optimistic, hence why this board has turned so negative. You act as if that is the fans fault when in reality it is the fault of the franchise.

This is what you get when you lose for this long. If you get out much, which I suspect you don't, you would rub elbows with some other suffering fanbases that are just as negative if not more than ours. Anytime you stink this bad for this long, that's the result. 

Unless you want a parade in downtown CLT for winning 6 games in 2022. 

tl/dr But I bet there was a lot of negative stuff in there. lol

I'm not sorry I enjoy this time of year. A time of rebirth and excitement.  Also, that my self worth isn't tied to one of my sports teams.

1 hour ago, KillerKat said:

I would agree however he's also our #1 TE and moving him into the backfield would hurt our "safety valve" help and would also increase the chances of the defense knowing when we are going to run. I would watch out for Babicz to take Ricci's spot if the staff still wants to keep Thompson as the 3rd TE.

Not moving him from TE to FB--just using him there on occasion.  We did not use a FB much in 2021.  you could actually motion him out to the flank and he would be a TE again.  But there are many ways to look at the FB TE situation.

3 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

John Denver Quote: “Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy.”

I hated Denver growing up. Then he came to town on my sisters b-day. Came away a fan. We got 5 tickets. 4 together, 1 alone. I got the alone seat. To this day, every time I hear a Denver song. I think back to sitting alone at his concert.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

tl/dr But I bet there was a lot of negative stuff in there. lol

I'm not sorry I enjoy this time of year. A time of rebirth and excitement.  Also, that my self worth isn't tied to one of my sports teams.

Lol. You realize your post history literally proves that statement wrong. Hilariously so.

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The track record and expectations are so low now it's laughable.  Improving on 5 wins and finishing higher than the second worst rated O-Line.   If we finish with 6 wins and say 25th ranked O-line, It'd be like 'pop the bubbly fellas!'

I think the W/L record is relatively unimportant for 2022. The odds of Rhule ever panning out as a head coach for us seem to be slim, so I care less about that than seeing what the roster is. If we can improve that OL unit to being....poo....top 20? That's at least forward progress. 

In all honesty, my overall bar for success this season is for the 2020 and 2021 draft classes to not look like a disaster. If we can just accomplish that, at least the post-Rhule rebuild might not be that painful. I think that is a realistic thing to hope for.

Its got the feeling of what the 2015 one was. Those guys started the same group for the whole year, i doubt that happens.

Still a new OL coach, who has bounced around recently....but worked with a few of the current coaches.

Added-

Bozeman- solid rock starter for ravens the last few years. OG/C

Cobert- "" for the rams was the 33rd pick in 2018 draft. RG/LG

Ickey- most impressive block of clay in panthers OL history. LT

Mays- 25th overall HS recruit, played at georgia and Tennessee. ALL 5 

Mixed that in with what was here last year and most starters are on the bench. 

Panthers have always seemed to be fixing the OL since 2003, except in 2015, this feels like the best group 1-10 since. If it works out it only took 19 years to get to the juiced up one...

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

So you are one of those; "Yada yada yada, sucks, rabble, rabble" kinda guys?

No, I just think the coaching staff sucks, minus a few guys. If you're talking about the OL coach, yeah he seems to be pretty good. I like Wilks as well and I think McAdoo deserves at least an open mind. If you think Rhule is a great coach, well, that simply would not surprise me in the least.

4 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

No, I just think the coaching staff sucks, minus a few guys. If you're talking about the OL coach, yeah he seems to be pretty good. I like Wilks as well and I think McAdoo deserves at least an open mind. If you think Rhule is a great coach, well, that simply would not surprise me in the least.

That bolded part is what confuses me. Pretty sure I know where it came from. Just not sure why? 

I guess because I am some cockeyed optimist I must be a Rhule fan? That is some whacky azz math if you ask me. Which they didn't.