• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Solid depth on OL

musicman

We had a 3rd round grade on BC as a tackle, 2nd round grade as a guard.  Jordan was terrible, so Ickey and BC, entering his second year, should be a formidable left side for years.  Corbett and Moton should handle the right side.  Corbett is under contract for the next 3 years.

I was hoping we could spend a second rounder this year on a center, but we have big needs on D at DT, Edge and Linebacker....and we don't have a 3rd rounder.  

However, the future of the OL is bright...about the time Moton's contract expires (2026) we'll be signing Ickey long term and looking for a rookie right tackle.  And RT is much easier to find than LT.  

If Bozeman can be the guy at C, we could sign him for another year or two (he's cheap...my fear is he will suck) we could get an anchor at C in the draft in 2024.

"The Panthers added new interior starters in guard Austin Corbett and center Bradley Bozeman. Taylor Moton remains entrenched at right tackle, leaving one open spot — left guard — on Carolina’s reconfigured O-line. Christensen stands to battle 2021 left guard starter Michael Jordan for the gig, per Person. One year remains on Jordan’s rookie contract.

Although Christensen was an All-American left tackle who generated Pro Football Focus’ highest single-season tackle grade in the site’s short history grading college players, it appears a best-five-blockers-type plan could produce a quintet featuring the 6-foot-6 lineman alongside Ekwonu next season."

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/05/panthers-eyeing-brady-christensen-at-guard

more at the link.

The OL could be anywhere from better than last year to bordering on mean and nasty (in a good way).  We won't know until they show it on the field and even then, it may take a while to mature.  The OL has to develop as a unit.

I'm just happy somebody yielded to sanity and drafted a LT with our #6 pick.

"Better than last year" should happen when they first step on the field.  Five rose bushes planted next to each other should achieve that. 

As far as why the board in general is so skeptical about the unit being lights out, well, we've been down this path before.  Bruce Springsteen summed it up quite nicely, "You end up like a dog that's been beat too much, 'til you spend half your life just coverin' up."

What was the name of that song, "Sitting in BofA?"

Somebody with a lot more wit and musical talent than I could come up with one helluva parody.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the W/L record is relatively unimportant for 2022. The odds of Rhule ever panning out as a head coach for us seem to be slim, so I care less about that than seeing what the roster is. If we can improve that OL unit to being....poo....top 20? That's at least forward progress. 

In all honesty, my overall bar for success this season is for the 2020 and 2021 draft classes to not look like a disaster. If we can just accomplish that, at least the post-Rhule rebuild might not be that painful. I think that is a realistic thing to hope for.

According to Tepper, post-Rhule might still be a few years off regardless of results (don't look at the Charlotte FC thread, its non-related).  You know, because he dresses sloppy and was a short order cook.  If those were the lone qualifications, I'd be a shoo-in for the Panthers HC spot!  I might submit my resume' tomorrow!

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

According to Tepper, post-Rhule might still be a few years off regardless of results (don't look at the Charlotte FC thread, its non-related).  You know, because he dresses sloppy and was a short order cook.  If those were the lone qualifications, I'd be a shoo-in for the Panthers HC spot!  I might submit my resume' tomorrow!

I can assure you that if we win less than 8 games in 2022 and Rhule is retained, the fans will have all the answers they need about the real problem with the Carolina Panthers lack of success over the past three seasons. 

That's been my sneaking suspicion since roughly the end of 2020, is that Tepper was a Dan Snyder-esque idiot playing losing fantasy football with a real NFL team. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I can assure you that if we win less than 8 games in 2022 and Rhule is retained, the fans will have all the answers they need about the real problem with the Carolina Panthers lack of success over the past three seasons. 

That's been my sneaking suspicion since roughly the end of 2020, is that Tepper was a Dan Snyder-esque idiot playing losing fantasy football with a real NFL team. 

But not having back-to-back winning seasons under Richardson was such an egregious sin.  How the bar of success has fallen....

9 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

But not having back-to-back winning seasons under Richardson was such an egregious sin.  How the bar of success has fallen....

If we keep trotting out Rhule to lose season after season, you are gonna start seeing some threads reminiscing about how we should have kept Richardson. Mark my words, it will happen if this Cleveland Browns-esque path continues.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

18 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm guessing you mean Rhule because James Campen has a stellar rep as an OL coach.

Maybe. There was some stellar rep touted on previous hires under Rhule, too.

Let's just say that I'm going to have to see it before I believe it while Rhule is here. Twice bitten, three times shy I guess.

But, on paper, it should be good.

• Beer 3

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Let's just say that I'm going to have to see it before I believe it while Rhule is here. Twice bitten, three times shy I guess.

I'm not sure I agree with that bolded part. Folks were pretty much up in arms that Rhule hired so many coaches that nobody had heard of. Because, as we all know, if you haven't heard of the coach. He must be bad.

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

well, one of the narratives on Rhule is his management style is basically to be over involved and put his thumbprint on everything related to football.   

• Beer 1

18 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

If a cockeyed optimistic Homer views the team through rose colored glasses?

What color glasses do the Cult of Negativity wear? Blacked out welders glasses? Peaky Blinders?

The former see this Oline as Vastly improved. It has gone from a marked weakness, to an obvious strength.

Not sure what the later see, at all? Besides Rhule that is.

I swear to God, some of these guys troll the fug with negativity! 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

I swear to God, some of these guys troll the fug with negativity! 

The sad part being. They actually think that because they are unhappy. All that negativity is warranted. lol

I guess that's the way the powers that be want it. Because personal attacks, and thread derailments are at an all time high. So evidently, negativity sells.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, one of the narratives on Rhule is his management style is basically to be over involved and put his thumbprint on everything related to football.   

I mean, is that not what an NFL coach is supposed to do? You know, like, run the team. 

You guys need some new material. It feels like you're scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for negative things to say about Coach.

6 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

Normal people don't spend nearly every waking hour on a message board repeating themselves. It's a symptom.

One has to wonder? Are they this miserable in real life? Or do they just store it all up, and then regurgitate it all here?

I have been wondering lately, how many in the Cult of Negativity own a dog? It's been my experience that owning a dog makes life better. Maybe that's what these folks need?

3 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

I recently read that dogs and THC are commonly accepted and promoted methods for coping with PTSD for combat veterans.

Cesar Milan does a lot of work with Vets and their dogs. They are wonderful companions. My dogs make me smile all the time. They are always doing something silly. They just make life better.

We have an 80lb Pitty, who thinks he is a lap dog, and an 8lb Terrier mix that thinks she's a watch dog. lol

Did not know about the THC thing, but definitely makes sense.