• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jordan Staal Not Looking for Extension

Anybodyhome

https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-jordan-staal-plans-to-play-final-season-of-contract-before-deciding-future/c-334420904

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Jordan Staal will not seek an extension with the Carolina Hurricanes ahead of the final season of his contract.

"I'm going to ride out this contract," Staal said. "Eleven years is a long time here and it's been special. I'm going to ride it out next year and hopefully finish with a bang and go from there."

The center has one season remaining on a 10-year, $60 million contract ($6 million annual average) he signed July 1, 2012.

Staal was acquired by the Hurricanes from the Pittsburgh Penguins on June 22, 2012 for the No. 8 pick in the 2012 NHL Draft, center Brandon Sutter and defenseman Brian Dumoulin. The trade united him with his brother, Eric. The Staal brothers played together with the Hurricanes until Eric was traded to the New York Rangers on Feb. 28, 2016.

"It's been a great ride obviously," Staal said. "I came down here obviously to play with Eric and really be a part of the Carolina Hurricanes club, and (I) came down here to win. It's been a ride. Obviously a lot of ups and downs. As of right now, it's been a lot of fun on the ice and the players we have. It's been a blast."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

One more season as the captain. And I'll be the first to admit I was very wrong about his skill set this season. I thought he was ready to retire and that his physical skills may be waning, but I was wrong. This guy took his line to a completely different level this past season.

Much respect, Jordo.

• Pie 4

Staal has been great for us and it’s been a privilege watching him play over the last decade.

With that said, it’ll be time to move on after next year.

One player that will be an unrestricted free agent when Staal’s contract is up is Dylan Larkin and I absolutely love Larkin and think he’d be great in Rod’s system.

I could get onboard with Aho, Larkin, Kotkaniemi, and Drury down the middle.

• Pie 2