• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OLED?

onmyown

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hell, they all look awesome at home. Yeah, that TV that's 5x the price might look better in the store side by side but guess what? That TV that's 5x the price won't be right beside my budget TV in my den. 😂

Meh…I wouldn’t say 5x…

The tiers are basically 1.5k, 1.0, 500.

Anything around 2-3k isn’t worth it, it’s just the above prices with extra features (nicer yes but not worth the jump at all and everyone knows it).

Then there re a few ridiculous priced TVs 5k-10k and beyond and these are basically showcases of the future 8k, mini led etc. but these technologies are years away from being affordable BUT close enough that OLED are finally coming down. I have been patiently waiting. A OLED today that cost say 3k, was 15k only 3-4 years ago.

And so it is time.

• Pie 1

I agree a lot with @onmyown here.  When I was shopping or my TV, I spent a long time getting reviews from as many different sources as I could.

I read up a lot on Rtings before it became premium.  Lots of Whipserstatus74 on youtube as well as Stop the FOMO.  I like how they are true tv nuts and can cut through the marketing speak to give you solid opinions.

In the age of plasma versus LCD, I helped a lot of people buy TVs (not as a store employee, but as someone just waiting for my wife at Yankee Candle).  I've always been a TV nerd.  In the days of 4k and different imaging engines, things have changed a LOT in the ensuing years.

You have to look at your budget and room space.  Some folks have the room for an 86" TV, so great!  There's where they should look.  My room/TV location had enough room for a 65" TV.  So then I looked at what was the best TV for less than 1500.  After looking at a ton of reviews, I wanted a LG C1 to replace my aging 50" Panasonic Plasma.  But my wife like to keep all of the windows open during the daytime.  We also have a tendency to leave the TV paused for extended periods of time (marriage problems lol).

I love the look of an OLED but we didn't have the budget (they were still like 1800 at the time we bought) and our room situation wasn't great.  So then we started looking at the LCDs.  A couple of years ago, we bought a Samsung 43" TU7000 for the bedroom.  It's been OK, not great for HDR, but find for watching Discovery+ is fine.  While the TV performance was fine, the OS was annoying.  We didn't like it.  But we have gotten tired of the ROKU death cycle - where a Roku seems to die out of the blue only to work again in a week.  So the smart TV system was important.

That brough us to TCL, Hisense, and Sony.  The internet smart guys said that the TCL and Hisense (whatever their top tier, FALD backlit tv was) were the best value.  But color and motion are important to me.  The Sony X90J meet my budget and the all important color and motion requirements I needed.

Man, that was a lot of typing.  So the TL/DR - figure out your budget, what features mean the most to you, look around at a variety of reviewers, and buy what you feel is best.

7 hours ago, d-dave said:

I agree a lot with @onmyown here.  When I was shopping or my TV, I spent a long time getting reviews from as many different sources as I could.

I read up a lot on Rtings before it became premium.  Lots of Whipserstatus74 on youtube as well as Stop the FOMO.  I like how they are true tv nuts and can cut through the marketing speak to give you solid opinions.

In the age of plasma versus LCD, I helped a lot of people buy TVs (not as a store employee, but as someone just waiting for my wife at Yankee Candle).  I've always been a TV nerd.  In the days of 4k and different imaging engines, things have changed a LOT in the ensuing years.

You have to look at your budget and room space.  Some folks have the room for an 86" TV, so great!  There's where they should look.  My room/TV location had enough room for a 65" TV.  So then I looked at what was the best TV for less than 1500.  After looking at a ton of reviews, I wanted a LG C1 to replace my aging 50" Panasonic Plasma.  But my wife like to keep all of the windows open during the daytime.  We also have a tendency to leave the TV paused for extended periods of time (marriage problems lol).

I love the look of an OLED but we didn't have the budget (they were still like 1800 at the time we bought) and our room situation wasn't great.  So then we started looking at the LCDs.  A couple of years ago, we bought a Samsung 43" TU7000 for the bedroom.  It's been OK, not great for HDR, but find for watching Discovery+ is fine.  While the TV performance was fine, the OS was annoying.  We didn't like it.  But we have gotten tired of the ROKU death cycle - where a Roku seems to die out of the blue only to work again in a week.  So the smart TV system was important.

That brough us to TCL, Hisense, and Sony.  The internet smart guys said that the TCL and Hisense (whatever their top tier, FALD backlit tv was) were the best value.  But color and motion are important to me.  The Sony X90J meet my budget and the all important color and motion requirements I needed.

Man, that was a lot of typing.  So the TL/DR - figure out your budget, what features mean the most to you, look around at a variety of reviewers, and buy what you feel is best.

Yep. Value is a BIG factor.

I had a $1k Samsung I bought and few years ago. Recently I bought a 55 inch TCL for $500.

I spent all my media time on the TCL. TCL is a fantastic value brand imo. I was surprised how much better it was than my fancy Samsung.  Any spare room or bedroom gets the TCL 100% and the main room will get the C1 or 80j when I finally decide.

I do like the best extra features of the 90j but as it stands the 65 90j is 3k and the 80j is 1.5k. 

I just can’t justify the difference and to be honest that has been kind of annoying. I’m comparison the gap in the LG G1 and C1 is only $500 and that to me makes more sense. Of course this year they have the C2/G2 but the way prices plummet just months after a new model is released I feel it’s always smarter value wise to get last years’ model.

But yea, value to me is more important than price. It’s down to the C1 or 80j for me.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, onmyown said:

Yep. Value is a BIG factor.

I had a $1k Samsung I bought and few years ago. Recently I bought a 55 inch TCL for $500.

I spent all my media time on the TCL. TCL is a fantastic value brand imo. I was surprised how much better it was than my fancy Samsung.  Any spare room or bedroom gets the TCL 100% and the main room will get the C1 or 80j when I finally decide.

I do like the best extra features of the 90j but as it stands the 65 90j is 3k and the 80j is 1.5k. 

I just can’t justify the difference and to be honest that has been kind of annoying. I’m comparison the gap in the LG G1 and C1 is only $500 and that to me makes more sense. Of course this year they have the C2/G2 but the way prices plummet just months after a new model is released I feel it’s always smarter value wise to get last years’ model.

But yea, value to me is more important than price. It’s down to the C1 or 80j for me.

Yesh, I haven't been disappointed with TCL TVs.  Had one in the playroom, and my inlaws bought a 625 a few years ago. The only thing that got me was the motion/color performance.  That's just a me thing though.

I was considering the 648 (the Google TV with mini-LED back lighting), but I didn't want to spend a $1200+ on what is still an unknown commodity for me.  I don't blame anyone for making their choices.  Just be happy 😃  That's the biggest thing when buying a TV, just be happy with your purchase and don't stress afterwards with FOMO.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:16 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Hell, they all look awesome at home. Yeah, that TV that's 5x the price might look better in the store side by side but guess what? That TV that's 5x the price won't be right beside my budget TV in my den. 😂

No disrespect against anyone wanting the latest and greatest but I can’t justify the expense. I end up buying the old model that turns out to be a huge upgrade over what I currently own.