• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Jonathan Alexander, Browns were willing to eat 50% of Bakers salary($9m) and Panthers said no. Apparently, the max we want to take is $5m, playing hardball with them.

Julio

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

You dont draft a qb in the third round expecting them to see the field their rookie season. 

Teams with good plans don’t.   

a team whose QBs are Sam Darnold and PJ Walker for a second straight season? 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't see the rationale in it, even at $5M, mostly because Mayfield's contract is also up after 2022.  IF the plan was to bring Corral along/evaluate him over two years and Mayfield's deal had, say, 2 years at $15M or so, maybe it would make sense.  But, there are a lot of IFs in that statement and we would have four QBs entering training camp with only Corral under contract beyond this season.

Seems like the better move is to roll with what we have unless a vet can be had on the cheap for longer than just 2022.  Evaluate the QBs available in the draft and vets that are available to fill out the QB room next offseason.

Unless somebody thinks this teams is realistically a playoff contender in 2022 and Mayfield is the guy who can make that happen, it seems to just muddy the waters.

We only have Corral under contract for next year.  For $5M, it's worth kicking the tires on Mayfield. At best we have first dibs on re-signing him if he balls this year.  At worst we flush $5M down the toilet.  Corral is not playing this year, not in any significant capacity.  I'm not sure where the idea is coming from.  Dude is a 3rd round pick.  There's zero pressure to rush him along.

Edited by 45catfan

7 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

You dont draft a qb in the third round expecting them to see the field their rookie season. 

We are not competing for a Super Bowl or even the playoffs barring a miracle. Three consecutive five win seasons and the worst starting QB in the NFL you get the rookie some time and see what you've got that's the way the league operates in 2022. How the game was played when your pawpaw was watching football is irrelevant. Things change.

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

We only have Corral under contract for next year.  For $5M, it's worth kicking the tires on Mayfield. At best we have first dibs on re-signing him if he balls this year.  At worst we flush $5M down the toilet.  Corral is not playing this year, not in any significant capacity.  I'm not sure where the idea is coming from.  Dude is a 3rd round pick.  There's zero pressure to rush him along.

Can we confirm the Corral contract?  I see only one year listed on overthecap, but both them and spotrac say he is under the normal four year rookie contract.  Spotrac's grid on him shows four years, but no numbers.

I don't think there is any pressure to rush him along, either.  I do think there has to be some urgency to evaluate him before next year's draft.  But that is not the same as throwing him to the wolves. 

That said, I would not be surprised to see us panic if Darnold stinks it up the first 5 or 6 games.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Good, the Browns have zero leverage since they sold the farm to the dude with two dozen and counting sexual harassment claims to his name.

The Browns put the screws to themselves with Mayfield the minute it was publicly disclosed they were in the bidding for Watson.  Same for Atlanta with Ryan.

41 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Can we confirm the Corral contract?  I see only one year listed on overthecap, but both them and spotrac say he is under the normal four year rookie contract.  Spotrac's grid on him shows four years, but no numbers.

"The 23-year-old Corral will be under contract for the next four seasons, and that allows for an eye to the future. The only quarterbacks on the roster prior to this weekend were Sam Darnold and PJ Walker and both are in the final year of their current contracts." 

https://www.panthers.com/news/matt-corral-quarterback-nfl-draft-mississippi-third-round-panthers-pick#:~:text=The 23-year-old Corral,year of their current contracts.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

57 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I'm not sure where the idea is coming from. 

• People sick of watching Darnold.
  • People looking for any glimmer of hope at the QB spot.
  • People with unrealistic expectations.
  • People wanting to see if Corral is worth developing instead of drafting another rookie QB next year.
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, trueblade said:

"The 23-year-old Corral will be under contract for the next four seasons, and that allows for an eye to the future. The only quarterbacks on the roster prior to this weekend were Sam Darnold and PJ Walker and both are in the final year of their current contracts." 

https://www.panthers.com/news/matt-corral-quarterback-nfl-draft-mississippi-third-round-panthers-pick#:~:text=The 23-year-old Corral,year of their current contracts.

Danke. 

45CatFan's post confused me, then overthecap added to the confusion, which I was assuming where 45CatFan got the information.  4 years is what I thought was the universal rookie deal with a 5th year option.

This internet is a great source of information....until it isn't.

Edited by Sgt Schultz

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

"Will be". I'm sure they'd have tweeted a photo of him signing if he had actually done so already

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Danke. 

45CatFan's post confused me, then overthecap added to the confusion, which I was assuming where 45CatFan got the information.  4 years is what I thought was the universal rookie deal with a 5th year option.

This internet is a great source of information....until it isn't.

Fifth year is only for 1st rounders. Carrol is a free agent after year four unless we extend him before that.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

"Will be". I'm sure they'd have tweeted a photo of him signing if he had actually done so already

I can't find any confirmation but Corral was at rookie mini camp so it hasn't caused him to miss any time yet if he hasn't.

• Beer 1