• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Martin Necas: RFA

Anybodyhome

I copied just a portion of the article here, but I'm not sure the front office and RBA have the patience to keep waiting on Necas to break out. He was drafted in 2017 and 5 years later the Canes are still waiting to see just who they drafted. I have to admit I agree with a lot of what's said- all kinds of speed and puck handling skills, but his reluctance to shoot and his complete lack of a physical game are cause for concern. I can't tell you how many times I found myself shouting at the TV for him to shoot the damn puck.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article262146767.html

The Carolina Hurricanes might be looking to add a scoring forward before next season, someone who can produce, say, 25 or more goals, be a finisher and put some pop in the lineup.

It could come from a trade. It could come in free agency.

But what if that player already is on the roster?

Martin Necas is a likable guy with an agreeable demeanor. That’s off the ice. On it, Necas’ critics say he’s not mean enough, a player with tons of speed and skill but one unwilling to do the dirty work in tough places.

When the 2021-22 season began, many believed Necas might have a breakout year. He was entering his third full NHL season and in the third year of his entry-level contract. He had scored 14 goals and had 41 points in 53 games in the condensed 2020-21 season, and something like a 60-point year with 20-plus goals seemed attainable for the Czechia native.

Didn’t happen.

“For me personally, it was like a step back from the last season,” Necas said this week.

Necas had 14 goals and 40 points in 78 games, and probably got as much attention for playing a golf round with singer Harry Styles before the season as he did for his play during the season. Including the 14 playoff games, he scored once in his last 30 games — the regular-season finale against New Jersey.

Necas had five assists in the playoffs as the Canes fell in the second round to the New York Rangers, and was so ineffective at times there was speculation he might be scratched.

“Obviously it was a disappointing season for me,” Necas said. “I just couldn’t get into it. I’ve got to help the team more, got to produce way more. That’s what everyone kind of expects from me, and I didn’t do it.”

• Pie 3

I agree that he's definitely stalled in his development and that is disappointing. If nothing else, his qualifying offer will be cheap enough that I think you have to give it and bring him back to be a 3/4th liner who excels at zone entries/exits. And the hope is maybe he still develops after recognizing his down season. 

There's also a fan article out there about a Fiala trade centered around Necas. That would be a very interesting possibility to look into. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Watching necas play, I’m just not sure he is a rod guy.  

He just needs to shoot the puck more. He’s a Rod player, he just needs to realize it isn’t always about passing and setups. He needs to shoot the damn puck. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

He just needs to shoot the puck more. He’s a Rod player, he just needs to realize it isn’t always about passing and setups. He needs to shoot the damn puck. 

Elias Lindholm finally figured that out when he got to Calgary. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Necas. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

Elias Lindholm finally figured that out when he got to Calgary. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Necas. 

I personally think if Necas leaves then he will tear it up but I also get why some people don’t think he a Rod player. He doesn’t play heavy and he doesn’t forecheck that well. However, I would be interested in seeming him back at center and centering two pure goal scorers, maybe Svechnikov and Jarvis.

The problem is, if that doesn’t work out then we are fugged (assuming we put all our eggs in that basket).

• Pie 1

• 2 weeks later...