• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nino Niederreiter: Free Agent

Anybodyhome

https://www.canescountry.com/2022/6/8/23159733/obviously-i-would-like-to-stay-canes-brass-should-prioritize-niederreiter-deal

Use the link if you want to read the whole article:

When Don Waddell and company made a trade to deal Victor Rask to the Minnesota Wild back in January of 2019, they struck gold in a way that nobody really saw coming.

Back to Carolina in the deal was Nino Niederreiter, who instantly boosted his play and became a game changer for the Hurricanes as he and the team went on to make four straight playoff appearances for the first time since relocation.

In 2019 after getting traded, Niederreiter posted 14 goals and 30 points in just 36 games for the Canes. Both of those goals greatly exceeded his 46-game total with Minnesota that year. After a bit of regression in 2019-20, Niederreiter posted 34 points in 56 games in 2021 before tallying 44 points in 75 games this past season.

In this year’s postseason, Niederreiter scored four goals for the Canes, tied for second most on the team behind only Vincent Trocheck.

He played all year, and all playoffs, alongside Jordan Staal and Jesper Fast as a key piece of Carolina’s most consistent two-way line, the most reliable group the Canes put on the ice come May.

“A big part is that we’ve all been in the league for quite some time,” Staal said. “We all know what to expect from one another. We all know what it takes every day to come in and go to work. We talked a lot on the ice about what we could do to do better. We had to remind ourselves not just to shut the other top line down but to produce. That mindset helps.”

But now, Niederreiter’s contract in Carolina is up, as he heads into unrestricted free agency looking to cash in on some of the success that he has had with the Hurricanes over the last three and a half seasons.

As for Niederreiter, he wants to be back with the Canes.

“Obviously I would like to stay here,” Niederreiter said. “I enjoy the group. I love living down here. The fans are great. But at the end of the day, it’s not really just on me.”

• Beer 1

I think it’s in the best interest for him to come back but with him turning 30 before the season starts, I’m not sure how interested the Canes will be.

It’s highly unlikely they’d give Niederreiter a salary bump, I feel like they’ll offer him a 3x$5.25M and then Nino will test the market.

The rest, we’ll have wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

LeBrun stating that Nino is going to test the marker - per his agent.

11 hours ago, Snake said:

Pretty sure he's gone at this point. 

If this is the case, Waddell might have to go hard to keep Vincent Trocheck. Regardless of the talent level in Chicago, I'm not sure the Canes can afford to lose both Nino and Vinny without a major free agent acquisition.

• Pie 1