• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Horrible Time To Car Shop

tarheelpride

Stating the obvious here, but need a place to vent. 

Car shopping is an absolute tire fire right now. You’ll be lucky to find anything new at MSRP. A good number of used cars are either at or above MSRP for new cars. It’s just an overall nightmare. 

Anyone else having the unfortunate distinction of being in the car market suck as I? How are you coping with it? 

I just keep driving my 22 year-old Montero, taking good care of it and putting off replacing it for another year. Still looks great, drives well and rolls on with no payments.

I might want one of the new full-sized Broncos, but I'm going to just hold on until sanity in the marketplace comes back around.

It might take a while. 

7 hours ago, tarheelpride said:

Hoping for a CX-5 or a new Tucson

Yea your looking at around 25k new from what I see. Base model.  Honestly in today's market these cars are priced pretty decent.  Maybe finding one in that used 30k miles is the answer.   

My 19 tacoma is nearly paid off and my wife drives it so her and my son are in a vehicle I dont have to worry about.  I have been wanting to get her a nice suv one its paid off but the prices are too much to justify.  The 99 sierra runs like a champ so thats were I will be.  I am snooping around for a good dual sport dirt bike to ride back and fourth to work tho.   Suckers get 50 mpg.

Last July my wife and I traded in 2019 altima and 2019 traverse for 21 trailblazer and traverse.  Lowered interest rates, monthly payments and put almost 10k in the bank in the process. Then parks proceeded to sell both of our trades for more than we paid for them new and my wife's old traverse for more than she just got the 21 for.

Someone hit my wife's car in a parking lot back in Jan, and the other person's Insurance company decided it was better to pay it off than to try and fix it. Probably a good thing, but we were forced to buy a new car, since I didn't want a used one.  

We did end up getting a new Rav4 XLE for slightly above MSRP.  Problem is that MSRP is significantly higher than it was a couple of years ago.   But we were just happy that we only had to wait three weeks for it.   

Edited by Davidson Deac II

I've never bought a new vehicle and might never buy one. I generally buy low mileage 4-5 year old vehicles and generally pay somewhere between 40-50% original MSRP. My current 2012 4-Runner that I bought with 42k miles on it and currently has 104k miles on it is worth more right now than I paid for it several years ago. 😂

Yeah, it's a fuging clown world right now. Definitely sucks to actually NEED to buy right now.