• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carlos Dunlap Visiting Panthers

XClown1986

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Gifting a guy his last substantial payday to get Rhule over the 5-win hump is exactly what we need.

Teams all over the NFL sign good veteran players. We can’t just not sign them because we don’t want to curve Rhule’s win total for the season. That’s not how it works… We need a good pass rusher for our rotation to help fill Reddick’s void. This is just Fitt or Rhule or both trying to add depth to a position we are thin at. They are wanting a complete roster which is what they should be trying to build every season.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I'm not doubting Dunlap still can get it done, my problem is it's a band aid on a gunshot wound. Yes, it will help somewhat in the short term, but what about down the road?  This team is in a long term rebuild and these one or two-year deals with FAs isn't going to get it done.  Hired mercenaries aren't in the long term interest of the organization.

FYI, I almost stopped in at the Ingles in Powersville to see you last week on the way home from work, but I had a hot dinner waiting on me.  If you are on location again around me, I'll pop in to say hi!

Yea, if the contact is reasonable, he can give the team value. Not a bad run defender, either. Stout (6-5+, 280-ish) 

Hate we missed ya in Pville! We’ll be back on the road in July. Will let u know.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Teams all over the NFL sign good veteran players. We can’t just not sign them because we don’t want to curve Rhule’s win total for the season. That’s not how it works… We need a good pass rusher for our rotation to help fill Reddick’s void. This is just Fitt or Rhule or both trying to add depth to a position we are thin at. They are wanting a complete roster which is what they should be trying to build every season.

Wow, understand something here....I TOTALLY GET why Rhule wants to blow money to improve the roster, but as a fan that understands the long game, it's NOT...going...to...matter!  We will be a middling team in 2022, but end up with a 2023 cap hole of a top team competing for a Super Bowl.   See the way the cap usually works is bad teams have cap sapce and good teams....with LOTS of good players, have very little cap space.  So for us (bad team) to have little cap space (as if we were a really good team) makes no freaking sense.   But yes, lets add these older FAs to save Rhule's @ss and still miss the playoffs. I couldn't think of a better scenario!

Edited by 45catfan

21 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Wow, understand something here....I TOTALLY GET why Rhule wants to blow money to improve the roster, but as a fan that understands the long game, it's NOT...going...to...matter!  We will be a middling team in 2022, but end up with a 2023 cap hole of a top team competing for a Super Bowl.   See the way the cap usually works is bad teams have cap sapce and good teams....with LOTS of good players, have very little cap space.  So for us (bad team) to have little cap space (as if we were a really good team) makes no freaking sense.   But yes, lets add these older FAs to save Rhule's @ss and still miss the playoffs. I couldn't think of a better scenario!

You don’t even know what kind of contract we are offering this player and you already not liking it? Cap space should be managed to a degree but it is very fluid. Hell the Saints went from over the cap to enough money to sign Watson in a couple days. Look you were originally upset Dunlap would take valuable reps from YGM and now it’s the salary cap for a contract we have no clue what the numbers are. They are just doing their jobs and addressing weak spots on the roster. It’s why we are still inquiring about QBs because it is by far our biggest weakness right now. Let’s just see how this all shakes out before we get upset of us bringing in a FA.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You don’t even know what kind of contract we are offering this player and you already not liking it? Cap space should be managed to a degree but it is very fluid. Hell the Saints went from over the cap to enough money to sign Watson in a couple days. Look you were originally upset Dunlap would take valuable reps from YGM and now it’s the salary cap for a contract we have no clue what the numbers are. They are just doing their jobs and addressing weak spots on the roster. It’s why we are still inquiring about QBs because it is by far our biggest weakness right now. Let’s just see how this all shakes out before we get upset of us bringing in a FA.

I said if he took a 'hometown' deal I'd be cool with it; end of story.   The Saints STILL have no cap space and need a long term solution for a franchise QB along with a bunch of pricey veterans.  That's the fuzzy math gimmicks you admire erstwhile keep kicking cap 'can' down the road?  I guess digging out of cap hell every year is something to be admired?  The difference?  If Winston can stay healthy and avoid a ton of picks, the Saints are better situated for the wildcard than us.  But hey, at least we can compete with their cap futility!  Take that New Orleans!!!!

Edited by 45catfan

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I said if he took a 'hometown' deal I'd be cool with it; end of story.   The Saints STILL have no cap space and need a long term solution for a franchise QB with a bunch of pricey veterans.  That's fuzzy math gimmicks you admire while keep kicking cap 'can' down the road?  I guess digging out of cap hell every year is something to be admired.  The difference?  If Winston can stay healthy and avoid a ton of picks, the Saints are better situated for the wildcard than us.  But hey, we can compete with their cap futility!  Take that New Orleans!!!!

They were OVER the cap and easily made money to throw at Watson when he was available. You really don’t think they could do it again if another star QB some how becomes available? More than likely they will look at drafting one like most teams do. They aren’t the only team that does this with the cap. The Rams built their roster with a bunch of high priced free agents and some salary cap gymnastics. 
I don’t understand where this idea comes from that if a team isn’t a top tier team they shouldn’t sign FA vets to improve? 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

You gotta wonder at this point what is their confidence level in YGM?? He was a second round pick who could have went in the first and has flashed when on the field. Yet they keep making moves that would keep him off the field or Limit snaps. This is the year to see what they really have in him unless this is all a scheme to keep his value down. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

They were OVER the cap and easily made money to throw at Watson when he was available. You really don’t think they could do it again if another star QB some how becomes available? More than likely they will look at drafting one like most teams do. They aren’t the only team that does this with the cap. The Rams built their roster with a bunch of high priced free agents and some salary cap gymnastics. 
I don’t understand where this idea comes from that if a team isn’t a top tier team they shouldn’t sign FA vets to improve? 

Yes, the Rams are in FULL win now mode.  They hit their championship window precisely, which is VERY rare.  They are in the red for the cap for the foreseeable future.   Basically, they are living in the moment and the instant that magic falters, they will  tear it all down.  Until then, they have one Super Bowl and are hoping for at least one, if not two more, before inevitable occurs.   The fact that you are putting us in the same breath as the Rams is dumbfounding.

• Beer 2