• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker may be happening today.

Zod

This makes zero sense to me. If we are playing long game rebuild, you start Sam until Corral is ready, then next year we will know;

1.) Sam is officially unfixable (we pretty much already know this) and more importantly, off the books.

2.) A pretty good idea of Corral's potential

3.) and whether or not we need to draft a QB next year.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Even then how does this improve your team long term?  What exactly does this do in regards to building your team?

If, and this is a BIG IF, Baker can put it together here, a QB can turn the fortunes of a team.  I think you knew that, but couldn't resist the snaky remark temptation.  If it's only for the $5M (max) the Panthers said they would be willing to take on, it's worth the roll of the dice.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, philit99 said:

Most on here are not enthusiastic about acquiring Baker. As long as the cost is minimal, I think it is the best case scenario. Baker is a vet, and say what you will, he is a decent QB. He improves our chances to be competitive and to me that is what counts. In the right environment, Baker could be a quality starter.

Alright cool, say we are competitive this season with Baker, then what?

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

If, and this is a BIG IF, Baker can put it together here, a QB can turn the fortunes of a team.  I think you knew that, but couldn't resist the snaky remark temptation.  If it's only for the $5M (max) the Panthers said they would be willing to take on, it's worth the roll of the dice.

Define "put it together".  What does that even mean?  Say his stats mimic his 2020 season and we win 8-10 games.  Then what?

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Even then how does this improve your team long term?  What exactly does this do in regards to building your team?

It's just taking another swing and giving your team the possibility of improving the coming season. For as much as I suspect that Mayfield is not a legit top-shelf QB, there's always a chance that I and others could be wrong. I think that Baker could have a negative effect on the locker room due to his entitled attitude though, and that shouldn't be downplayed.

For me, bottom line, is that he's been in a damned good situation and just didn't succeed because of his own decision-making. He's the only QB in the league who has thrown more INTs than Darnold since they have both been in the league, and that's bad.

• Beer 1

In all likelihood if the future is in Matt Corral… then perhaps Sam Darnold is not the type of person to be a mentor to him. They may just need someone in Mayfield that is at the least  a competent enough as a QB to be the mentor as a one year rental.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Define "put it together".  What does that even mean?  Say his stats mimic his 2020 season and we win 8-10 games.  Then what?

His 4 years have run hot and cold.  Last year being a cold year and being the most recent, the one everyone looks at.  He actually had good years in his first and third seasons.  Put it together means he has the tools, BUT he needs a scheme that fits him, to be coached up more and lastly, grow up becoming a better professional.

If he sucks, we don't resign him. If he does okay, we offer him a deal in FA at a reasonable price where he takes it or signs elsewhere.  At that point he's not on our team any longer, we still look to the 2023 draft, which is exactly where we sit right now if Baker doesn't sign.   Corral is a non-factor this season in any scenario, so I'm not factoring him into the situation.  Darnold is toast, he's not here next year unless as a backup on a cheap deal.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 3

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

It's just taking another swing and giving your team the possibility of improving the coming season. For as much as I suspect that Mayfield is not a legit top-shelf QB, there's always a chance that I and others could be wrong. I think that Baker could have a negative effect on the locker room due to his entitled attitude though, and that shouldn't be downplayed.

For me, bottom line, is that he's been in a damned good situation and just didn't succeed because of his own decision-making. He's the only QB in the league who has thrown more INTs than Darnold since they have both been in the league, and that's bad.

To be fair he’s played 10 more games than Sam has due to injuries and thrown 4 more INTs. He’s also thrown 92 TDs to Sam’s 54 and led the Browns to their first playoff win in forever. I don’t think he’s a franchise guy but we could do worse if the price is right.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, BIGH2001 said:

To be fair he’s played 10 more games than Sam has due to injuries and thrown 4 more INTs. He’s also thrown 92 TDs to Sam’s 54 and led the Browns to their first playoff win in forever. I don’t think he’s a franchise guy but we could do worse if the price is right.

Agree - heck at least we’d have a playoff winning QB on the roster.  If he sucks, then we pick top 10 next year and grab another Qb.  Gotta swing until you hit

• Pie 1