• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker may be happening today.

Zod

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

My god, if this happens, I’m officially done. I’m hanging on by a thread with a glimmer of hope that Corral works out or that we’ll be so bad that we’ll luck into a stud QB in 2023. I’m nervous that we’d do something so stupid like this and ruin our cap and yet again finish with enough wins to not get one of the QB studs. We’ve already spent $55M on Teddy and Sam. We don’t need to add to that poo pile and get nothing but misery for it.

In the scenario that Baker balls out and has a "near Pro Bowl caliber" season(which I think is probably about his ceiling), I would still only be interested in maybe a 1-2 year "prove it again" deal. He has never had consecutive solid seasons in a row. Investing significant capital in that is criminally stupid. 

I suspect it would just be seeing someone be much easier to watch than Sam Darnold but still failing enough to have fairly little impact on the W's and L's. 

Like I said from the start, I am okay with a very cheap Baker trade because I literally don't want to see any more Sam Darnold Panthers football. That is my entire attraction to the deal. It has nothing to do with me thinking he is the future or will lead us to the playoffs. I just want something more interesting to watch in 2022 than Sam Darnold. Season 1 of that was trash. Let's go ahead and cancel that show now.

Just now, poundaway said:

@rayzoris right the competition between Baker and Darnold is going to look like this:

200.gif

I genuinely don't believe it would be a competition at all. One of those guys is an subpar NFL starter and one is not an NFL player at all. The results may be fairly similar but one is going to look like he at least understands what is going on in front of him. He just chooses to make unwise gambles. The other guy can't figure out what he is seeing and freezes.

• Pie 2

41 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This is concerning within itself.  If that is true then it appears that we were the only team to have a grade higher than a 3rd, if even that high on him.  First round grade my ass.

Yeah that’s bullshit talk to hype the fanbase up like we got a steal. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Baker doesn’t suck like Sam.  Baker probably gets us to like 7-10.  Maybe 8-9.  And then what do you do.  Extend Baker and not draft a QB?  Anyone trust what this group will do if Baker gets them to 7 or 8 wins?

Good point.  But 7 wins in a 17 game season is still pick 8-12 most likely.  

Regardless of whether we get Mayfield or not, regardless of whether you want him or not, bringing him here means we will likely be on our third starting qb in three years.  Four in three years if you count Cam.  

We also tried to get a guy who had a number of criminal/civil complaints filed against him and passed on drafting a couple of players who both appeared to have NFL potential.  

I think we can all agree that the past 3-4 years have been filled with a cascading series of bad decisions when it comes to the qb position.  I guess this is the kind of thing that happens when a new and inexperienced owner hires a coach with no experience in running an NFL team.  

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

To be fair he’s played 10 more games than Sam has due to injuries and thrown 4 more INTs. He’s also thrown 92 TDs to Sam’s 54 and led the Browns to their first playoff win in forever. I don’t think he’s a franchise guy but we could do worse if the price is right.

Oh, yeah, not only did Baker have really an exponentially better O-line and weapons in general than Darnold---taking Darnold out of the equation entirely, Mayfield still has thrown more interceptions than every QB in the league since he's been in...every QB. That's not good.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

stop putting so many eggs in a basket that you have zero control over

looking to the panthers to feel better about life is a poor stradegy

Where did I say I need the Panthers to feel better about life? My life is just fine thank you. My favorite team however is circling to toilet bowl. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Oh, yeah, not only did Baker have really an exponentially better O-line and weapons in general than Darnold---taking Darnold out of the equation entirely, Mayfield still has thrown more interceptions than every QB in the league since he's been in...every QB. That's not good.

And people still want to trade for him just because he is not Sam. Baker in Carolina would throw less than 20 TD passes and 10 or more ints. 

Lets see what the rookie has, fug these leftovers. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Regardless of whether we get Mayfield or not, regardless of whether you want him or not, bringing him here means we will likely be on our third starting qb in three years.  Four in three years if you count Cam.  

We also tried to get a guy who had a number of criminal/civil complaints filed against him and passed on drafting a couple of players who both appeared to have NFL potential.  

I think we can all agree that the past 3-4 years have been filled with a cascading series of bad decisions when it comes to the qb position.  I guess this is the kind of thing that happens when a new and inexperienced owner hires a coach with no experience in running an NFL team.  

We've had 7 different guys start at QB in 3 years, we are in QB hell.  

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The attraction would be maybe some actual TD passes on top of those INT's as opposed to Darnold just int's and fumbles. Not saying I want Baker but at least there would be the occasional exciting pass. 

Baker 92 td-56 int

Sam   54 td-52 int (2nd most since 2018)

Browns fan.

I dont really have an opinion on the matter in terms of Bakers likeability and value outside of Cleveland (I wouldnt know,....just hear opinions of fans and media)....

I do know that it make no sense for the Panthers to trade for Baker if they dont view him as a necessary upgrade for Corrals grooming season.  The ONLY logic that makes sense is if someone pretty high on the food chain in the FO believes Baker is significantly better than Darnold and because of that, it wouldnt be a lost season while the new QB gets up to speed.

my opinion on the matter is that Baker is much better (as I have watched both play) but perhaps not good enough to be coached to improve his game.  We may have seen Bakers ceiling after Beckham went down in 2020.  For whatever reason, his production and decision making improved tremendously after he lost his best weapon.  He did have a few sloppy wins due to weather but overall,....he was solid.  This was the Baker the Browns really thought was turning the corner.

Then,......2021 happened.   Dont care who is to blame but Baker still showed bad decision making while he was on a roll (KC game).  He will play well for a good chunk of the game but as the final quarter winds down, it seems like he loses his edge and makes bad decisions...ultimately changing the tide of the game.  Exciting to watch for sure.  Certainly gives a much better chance of a win than Darnold.  Still....2021 happened.  His injury (which was due to his bad decision leading to an int) was his fault.  He was trying to make a play but obviously not experienced in tackling.  What happened after that game is all speculation.  Some believe Baker refused to give up his starting job even though it was clear injury was effecting him....some believe it was Stefanski that decided it best to see if he could go......who knows?  Coach should have sat him whether he wanted to or not.  Thats on Stefanski.   Ultimately, we all seen the outcome.  Some was injury,...some was a domino of that injury (hesitation),.....and some was just his bad decision making rearing its head more often then it had prior.   

Mayfield has warts.  I feel in 4 years you pretty much know what you are going to get from a player who touches the ball basically every down.  He has a really good arm.  He has the ability to make some really nice throws anywhere on the field.  He just doesnt seem to process the defense fast enough at times.  Im not sure that wart will change.  He hasnt shown willingness to take coaching to improve on it unlike Allen.  That is a big red flag.  

My opinion is the Browns were completely fine heading into the season with Mayfield.  They were likely viewing 2021 as mostly injury related results.  The problem is,......Watsons criminal investigation came back with no indictment, basically opening the door to him playing in the NFL again.  He is young so teams probably figured even a year suspension is worth the talent you get.  I think the Browns fall into this category (so did Carolina, Atlanta and a few others).  Mayfield took offense to them inquiring and decide to vocalize his frustrations through the media.  He basically stated he would not play for them again,...and this is BEFORE the Browns actually got Watson....and because of that line of thinking the Browns were pretty much forced to address the qb position...so they desperately doubled down on Watson and threw out an offer to him and the Texans that they couldnt refuse.....a desperation move IMO.

What Im getting at with my long winded commentary is this.   Mayfield isnt anywhere near as bad as most are making him out to be.  He is actually decent......but has not proven to be great or elite, nor that he can achieve that.  He also comes with a guaranteed price tag that is cheap if you believe he is a long term answer but expensive if you believe his ceiling isnt going to be good enough to invest him him long term.  I think that is where the NFL is as a whole.   Supply/demand is playing a significant role in this.  Most teams dont need a starting level qb and a backup isnt really someone you want to pay 19m to.  THose that have a need fall into 2 categories......fringe playoff team that could use him to get over that hump and those who are really devoid of talent and are or should be considering tanking instead of treading.  Not sure where Carolina falls here.   

I think it does not make sense to get Mayfield simply because there is already sunk cost with Darnold and the Browns do not seem to be inclined to basically give him away.   Its an impasse that just makes sense to go a different direction.

Browns should hold his rights for the year and he can be a free agent next year and go to a team of his choosing to reinvent himself.  Browns, depending on FA may get a comp pick for their troubles.  Most importantly, they aren't just giving him away.

As for roster spot....eh.......53 allowed on roster........the odds of that 53 guy being an impact player is almost zero.

Locker room distraction would be the only concern and I don't really see that either as neither Mayfield nor the Browns have an interest in him seeing the field.  He may voluntarily accept being paid to stay home.  

All JMO.

Please dear god do not let the Browns get Darnold........he is abysmal.....one of the worst qbs I have ever seen play the game at the NFL level......   just bad bad.    

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

5 hours ago, CarolinaLivin said:

“It might happen today”

”if not today then by the end of the week”

“If not by the end of the week watch for the end of the month”

If not by the end of the month watch for the end of the decade...

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1