• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comparing Sam, Baker, and Jimmy vs. shared opponents last season

Icege

all things being equal, Baker probably has the highest ceiling to offer in a game.   But has the Sam type liability that could lose it for you at any point. 

Jimmy G basically won't lose you the game.  He won't win it for you.   It's up to the rest to actually go win it. Teddy Bridgewater would have a nice record if he played in SF. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

Jimmy is solid, but is very much in the mold of a game manager (I kind of hedge towards Baker being that as well), and considering Baker had a severe injury he was playing through all of last season, it's kind of hard to glean much, if anything, from his performances as a result.  Also, for that same reason, I don't know how much we can translate from last season to the upcoming season for Jimmy with him coming off of a pretty scary surgery himself.

Regardless, if the price is right, I'm taking either over Sam.

• Pie 1

There is virtually no difference between Sam and Baker as far as qbs are concerned.  You can cherry pick whatever stat you want to it won't matter. They both suck and  I can't believe the team wants to throw money and picks at another Sam Darnold clone that is a colossal asshole. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

There is virtually no difference between Sam and Baker as far as qbs are concerned.  You can cherry pick whatever stat you want to it won't matter. They both suck and  I can't believe the team wants to throw money and picks at another Sam Darnold clone that is a colossal asshole. 

That's the part that worries me most about Baker tbh. Jimmy is well liked in the locker room, while Sam "is an okay dude." Baker, on the other hand, has documented issues with teammates.

Hopefully the coaching staff doesn't look at that and chalk it up to "passion" that they feel was missing from the team. -_-

• Beer 2

7 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

the Jay-Z biography must of left out this stage in his 7 year plan.  The one where he went around and slammed his hand in doors just because. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1
  • Flames 3

We could have just kept Teddy and our picks and drafted a QB and another OL but our head coach made an emotional decision and compounded it trading for the Jets leftovers. No use even complaining about Baker being this or that. We are here because of mgmt.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

If Jimmy didn`t have a hurt throwing shoulder, i would want him. The huddle is way too hard on Baker and saying he is no different than Sam is stupid AF. He was hurt last season and at least has won a playoff game in his career. Baker would be an immediate upgrade. 

Edited by KillerKat

53 minutes ago, CRA said:

Teddy Bridgewater would have a nice record if he played in SF. 

No he wouldnt. He would be too concerned over his completion percentage to take any chances. Pussiest QB I have ever seen.

Edited by KillerKat
  • Pie 1

That is how I would have ranked them even without this nice breakdown. Kudos on that, BTW.

1. Jimmy G - Quality game managing NFL starter

2. Baker M - Middling, inconsistent gunslinger. Borderline NFL starter.

3. Sam Darnold - NFL backup, at best. Likely out of the league in the next 2-3 seasons.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

The problem with Jimmy G is when the running game gets shut down and they need his arm he shits the bed.  Look at almost every playoff game this past year.  He played awful (yeah they still won until the NFC championship, but it was in spite of him).  Baker may be the same way because the Browns usually have a strong running game.  Baker is just younger with a bit higher of a ceiling and has shown he can play decent with bad coaches.  Jimmy G has had some great teams and coaches.  

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The problem with Jimmy G is when the running game gets shut down and they need his arm he shits the bed.  Look at almost every playoff game this past year.  He played awful (yeah they still won until the NFC championship, but it was in spite of him).  Baker may be the same way because the Browns usually have a strong running game.  Baker is just younger with a bit higher of a ceiling and has shown he can play decent with bad coaches.  Jimmy G has had some great teams and coaches.  

He has a ceiling. If we went Jimmy G as a long term guy, it's basically acknowledging that we aren't going to see a Super Bowl or definitely not win one.

He can bring some stability but he has a ceiling that doesn't include NFL champion. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He has a ceiling. If we went Jimmy G as a long term guy, it's basically acknowledging that we aren't going to see a Super Bowl or definitely not win one.

He can bring some stability but he has a ceiling that doesn't include NFL champion. 

Jimmy is a 2x Super bowl winner, don't know what you're talking about.

I think the big thing scaring everyone away from Jimmy G is the throwing shoulder injury/surgery. Big Question Mark surrounding him and his capabilities as a passer moving forward. 

• Pie 1