• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen

CRA

8 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

The fact that we are rationally debating where/when two young up and coming linemen will play is refreshing compared to last year. 

Yeah the real story here IMO is that apparently Christensen looks really good. I guess I’m one of the few people happy about that. The lineup stuff is so fluid at this point in the off-season, so panicking about it is super premature. I swear, the same people losing their minds in here are also the same exact people who were convinced for months leading up to the draft that we were gonna draft Kenny Pickett at 6.

It is very frustrating to a LOT of people how BC was used last year.  It's nice to hear that he is looking good now, and surprise, he's being played in the position he excelled at in college.  While it would kinda suck because of where we drafted him, at least Ickey has clear talent as a guard.  I daresay he won't get walked back to the QB on the regular the way pretty much every guard we had last year did.

I don't really care WHO plays LT or LG or whatever.  I just want to see our coaches stop trying to impose their idea of where a player should play and instead observe the players and see where they can have the greatest impact on the game.

11 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Why am I not surprised by this. I get gamesmanship and all but Rhule is an odd duck.  I just do not get playing a rookie out of position from the start.  One would think you would want to get them ready to go at their natural position before seeing what else they can do, but not here.  I guess they value universal ( fits everywhere but not good at any) oline players more than one being great at one spot and so so at others.

Rhule's approach is stupid.

• Beer 3

4 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

If playing BC at Left Tackle with Ickey at guard gives us our best combo so be it I just want to see quality Oline play 

It would give us an opportunity for best 5 which I’m a fan of. LG will also give Icky Thump plenty of opportunities to pull.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Swaggasaurus said:

It would give us an opportunity for best 5 which I’m a fan of. LG will also give Icky Thump plenty of opportunities to pull.

If i was the OC I'd rather pull with BC. He is athletic and I like the idea of putting him on a LB, Safety, or CB. Icky could wall those plays off or just be better at moving bigger ends and edges out of the way. That said if he was pulling I pity whoever gets in his way.

I Pity The Fool GIFs | Tenor

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I'd just feel a lot better if Rhule would defer to the OL coach on the specific lineup. It seems like he defers almost completely to Snow in terms of the defensive lineup. Do the same elsewhere. Don't fuging micromanage everything. You hired these guys to do a job. Let them do their job. If you don't think an OL coach is capable of determining the appropriate lineup then he probably shouldn't be your OL coach.

• Beer 3

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

No doubt. Last year, it was apparent to everyone that our OL was going to be poo except the couple guys who posted threads trying to convince us Elflein and Erving would be good. 😂

What’s also amazing is that, maybe, just maybe, BC put in time in the weight room and practice in the off-season and gasp, made himself better.

Nah, let’s keep bitching about Rhule not playing rookies when they start 6 games and play half the snaps. The amount of rookies we’ve played meaningful snaps the past two years is huge but somehow Rhule, who I don’t like, is sabotaging BC’s and Corral’s careers because he’d much rather play Daley and Darnold. He’s the coach boys, enjoy another evaluation season with a chance we are competing for a playoff spot while we try and get a real QB of the future.

I get your point but you have to acknowledge that having your choice of tackles in the draft, selecting said tackle and then saying A) that the draft pick isnt in shape and B)there is someone already on the team better then you at the position is at best a weak troll attempt and at worst a fuging retarded ass statement.   Rhule just shut your fuging mouth for once

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

He was playing against people who likely didn’t even make the team. He wasn’t a starter in preseason. Brown looked OK in preseason too. Marshall had the second most yards in the NFL in the preseason. Most vets never even played a snap, so looking good in preseason meant nothing. I don’t remember preseason videos of BC man handling Burns and Reddick, do you?

He was a 3rd rounder so I don’t see any issue with a coach not starting him right away and let’s be honest Miller and Daley at Gs were atrocious and Elflein got hurt. Again, playing him first at guard isn’t surprising given how bad we were there and the fact that they evaluated him as a guard.

My point was that he wasn’t going to be a week 1 starter since we invested in FA OL. We knew they sucked, our GM didn’t, but they were going to start. Even then he still played almost half the snaps on the year. If you think he would have saved the season, that’s funny, but he played more than enough snaps to be evaluated. The post I replied to acted as if he played as much as Brown and we have no idea how he’d do.

It’s funny because it almost seems as if people think we have a Sewell or Slater on our hands and that Iky was a wasted pick. Man, Iky’s already a bust.

I'm not saying Icky's a bust. But there are things that happened last year that didn't make sense. Rhule said publicly he evaluated an all pro LT as a guard. Same thing he said about BC. He was more concerned about arm length than ability to play the position. Anyone who watched him play inside could tell he was not a guard or center. He didn't have the power to play there. 

Irving and Elfein were always huge WTF signings. Neither had a history of being healthy or very good, but we went after them on day 1  in FA because they fit the versatile lineman role. Just because you're a FA doesn't mean you should be starting. Normally those 2 would have been week 2 or 3 of FA moves for some team. 

I realize BC didn't play against elite talent in preseason but he actually looked better than Irving. His form was better and more fluid. His feet were quicker. He just looked better. 

Then we get into the whole part of trying to teach him to play 4 different positions as a rookie. Rhule loves guys to be able to play all over the line. Sometimes you just need to let them play where they are best. 

No one who looked out our OL last year game 1 thought, man this is a good line. Nothing we did on our offensive line made sense last year. 

Armchair GM, we would have Slater over Horn and BC would be doing what he does somewhere else. 

• Flames 1

I definitely don't want to give up on Christensen yet. He only got decent time when 90% of the roster, coaching staff, fanbase and front office mailed it in for the year, as they always do by mid-November. Along with Ickey, Ian Thomas and Foreman, he's an offensive player I'm most intrigued about this season.