• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer: Cleveland is willing to pay the Panthers half of Baker Mayfield’s contract

TheSpecialJuan

20 minutes ago, poundaway said:

No shlt sherlock.  I know that.  He's still better than Sam, who's play across 2 teams and 3 offensive systems has been putrid.  You can blame the OL but you don't throw ints on 1st and 2nd down.  Take the damn sack, throw it away, but don't give it to the other team. 

I agree with you, I don't want Baker.  But you will have a hard time making the case that Sam is on par or better than Baker. 

What kind of stats do you think Baker has last year in Carolina with no CMC and a bottom 3 OL, compared to a top 5 OL with 2 good RBs and decent weapons.  We basically had Moore on offense and a bunch of nothing last season. 

I dont think his stats are much better than Sams if at all. 

60% 17tds 13ints

59.9% 9tds 13ints

Yea I would say Baker is pretty similar to Sam given the circumstances, they both suck. 

Even if you look at the advanced stats, baker had a higher % of bad throws, a lower % of on target throws than Sam, and his guys dropped less passes. 

Also, Sam threw away more balls than Baker did, so much for not throwing INTs on 1st and 2nd down, Baker does that too. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Corey Miller long-time NFL linebacker on WFNZ today saying hell yeah he's an upgrade bring it on...

...Corey knows 👊.

Yet we've had people on here suggesting we should trade for a mediocre quarterback like Jimmy Garoppolo based on the idea that "he's a winner".

Can you imagine arguing for something that stupid? 😐

36 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

What kind of stats do you think Baker has last year in Carolina with no CMC and a bottom 3 OL, compared to a top 5 OL with 2 good RBs and decent weapons.  We basically had Moore on offense and a bunch of nothing last season. 

I dont think his stats are much better than Sams if at all. 

60% 17tds 13ints

59.9% 9tds 13ints

Yea I would say Baker is pretty similar to Sam given the circumstances, they both suck. 

Even if you look at the advanced stats, baker had a higher % of bad throws, a lower % of on target throws than Sam, and his guys dropped less passes. 

Also, Sam threw away more balls than Baker did, so much for not throwing INTs on 1st and 2nd down, Baker does that too. 

Sorry, you're not going to convince me that Sam is better or the same as Baker. 

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

Sorry, you're not going to convince me that Sam is better or the same as Baker. 

People are insane thinking it’s the same as Sam. Sam is easily the worst starting QB in the NFL and there are probably nearly 10 teams Baker could start on. He’s not a franchise savior but he’s good enough to keep the team competitive which is huge for some of our young players.

• Pie 1

Baker the Rhule savior?

Baker Mayfield Football GIF by Progressive

So damn good his team traded multiple first for a known serial pervert and is willing to play some rando while he is suspended. His stats are amazing close to Sam but sure, we will be winners after that move

The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Damn what those stats say! I think Baker is better and can make us competitive even though he sucked in Cleveland with a much better roster!

Yea that is sound logic. 

What stats are you talking about? Baker had a great rookie reason with 10 more TDs and 1 less INT after getting drafted by the WORST team in the league with the 1st pick.

Second year is where Darnold gets Baker. Baker gets a new interm coach mid season, but still pulls a Winston by throwing 21 INTS. It’s Darnold’s best season with 19 TDs and 13 INTS.

Baker crushed Darnold his 3rd year with 26 TDs and only 8 INTs. Darnold only plays 12 games 9 TDs and 11 INTs.

Last year Baker STILL beats out Sam with 1 shoulder. Again Sam throws more INTs than TDs.

Baker has missed 5 starts to Sam’s 15. Baker wins in career yards/game, QB Rating, completion %, Yards/attempt (basically every stat).

The biggest difference between Sam and Baker is Baker has shown a clear ability to get better. He started off good as a rookie, got trigger happy with INTs his 2nd year, then put up a great performance his 3rd year. Last year he played pretty “meh” battling through an injury that should have sidelined him. Sam made a jump his sophomore year and then crashed and burned his last two seasons throwing more INTs than TDs (something Baker has never done). Baker is an average starter (14-18 range) with some upside, while Sam might be able to be a below average backup. 

If this $$ amount is what was reported during the draft, then I say hold off and let that number come down. Makes no sense to wait two months and lose a game of chicken to CLE.

If this is a new speculation, then Baker @ $9M on a 1-yr prove-it deal is fine by me. Darnold is a sunken cost from '21 that shouldn't really affect your financial decision making in '22 since we have cap. Hypothetically, if Darnold and his salary wasn't on the books, would you make the deal for Baker at $9M?

There's a good chance Robby is part of the deal to CLE and we would get out from under his overpaid salary (and declining attitude). 

I do hope that if we do grab Baker, that we also still get Dunlap. 

One deal should not be done that then hampers you from making another very important transaction.

10 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

If this $$ amount is what was reported during the draft, then I say hold off and let that number come down. Makes no sense to wait two months and lose a game of chicken to CLE.

If this is a new speculation, then Baker @ $9M on a 1-yr prove-it deal is fine by me. Darnold is a sunken cost from '21 that shouldn't really affect your financial decision making in '22 since we have cap. Hypothetically, if Darnold and his salary wasn't on the books, would you make the deal for Baker at $9M?

There's a good chance Robby is part of the deal to CLE and we would get out from under his overpaid salary (and declining attitude). 

I do hope that if we do grab Baker, that we also still get Dunlap. 

One deal should not be done that then hampers you from making another very important transaction.

Trading Robby would leave us with nearly $20m in dead cap over the next two years. No chance he gets traded.

• Beer 1

It seems most (or at least a lot) of Huddlers think Baker is an upgrade. The issue seems to be the cost. We have only heard bits and pieces about what the trade could include.

Baker for Sam (most of us like this as long as it doesn't include too much other compensation)-This has since been reported as unlikely

Baker for Sam and RA (Lots of us seem to like this one too). You'd expect we get some extra compensation here...then not too bad- but what about straight up?

Baker for RA (mmm...these seems to work for many of us but what about Sam and his contract?) What if Cleveland pays half of Baker's contract too? If they did would we give up any late round draft capital? A lot to consider here maybe....

Baker for Draft Capital (again what about Sam's contract?) It has been reported that they have offered to pay half Baker's salary. Is that enough? What would be enough? How much draft capital would we be ok with giving up? Could we make it conditional? If so-How about that?

Baker to Carolina in a Multi-Player Mega Trade (What if they offered Baker and someone else for RA and someone else--but not Sam--oowwwh and his contract again....) Wow...This would make a big splash. Who could it include besides Robby and Baker? They have been talking about this potential Baker Trade for awhile so I wonder what all has been thrown into the POT on any proposed deals. 

Imagining that Coaches, Players, and Owners are trying to compete and actually win games this year are there any of these options that might work? What do you guys think?

Edited by Michael G