• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer: Cleveland is willing to pay the Panthers half of Baker Mayfield’s contract

TheSpecialJuan

Yeah at this point either do it or don't the Browns aren't going to suddenly flinch and cave to our demands everyone knows about Darnold it's honestly sad we're still even playing the "he's our starter" smoke and mirrors game. Nobody is buying that noise. The league knows we're desperate.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

What stats are you talking about? Baker had a great rookie reason with 10 more TDs and 1 less INT after getting drafted by the WORST team in the league with the 1st pick.

Second year is where Darnold gets Baker. Baker gets a new interm coach mid season, but still pulls a Winston by throwing 21 INTS. It’s Darnold’s best season with 19 TDs and 13 INTS.

Baker crushed Darnold his 3rd year with 26 TDs and only 8 INTs. Darnold only plays 12 games 9 TDs and 11 INTs.

Last year Baker STILL beats out Sam with 1 shoulder. Again Sam throws more INTs than TDs.

Baker has missed 5 starts to Sam’s 15. Baker wins in career yards/game, QB Rating, completion %, Yards/attempt (basically every stat).

I was only comparing last years stats. They have both struggled during their careers in the NFL. Baker was in a much better position with a top 5 OL in Cleveland, his numbers would not be near as good playing in Carolina the past few seasons with us barely having an OL at all more like a speed bump in front of the QB. 

He has thrown a high number of INTs with great protection that number will go up in Carolina, he has thrown a mediocre number of TD passes per season by todays standards that will probably go down in Carolina if he is our QB, if we were playing 90s football 20td passes a year is great, in todays NFL it makes you a bottom tier starter. 

You have to look at the entire situation. We are just getting baker, not their OL/RB/WR/TE

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I was only comparing last years stats. They have both struggled during their careers in the NFL. Baker was in a much better position with a top 5 OL in Cleveland, his numbers would not be near as good playing in Carolina the past few seasons with us barely having an OL at all more like a speed bump in front of the QB. 

He has thrown a high number of INTs with great protection that number will go up in Carolina, he has thrown a mediocre number of TD passes per season by todays standards that will probably go down in Carolina if he is our QB, if we were playing 90s football 20td passes a year is great, in todays NFL it makes you a bottom tier starter. 

You have to look at the entire situation. We are just getting baker, not their OL/RB/WR/TE

Maybe. He dropped his INTs from 21 his second year to 8 the following year. That shows he is learning and developing. Last year was a bit of a wash for him since he played through injuries that would normally sideline him. He went to the worst team in the league and has had a better career than Darnold. The 2 really aren’t comparable. There are 2 solid reasons not to want Baker IMO. The first is he isn’t good enough to push us in a top class to compete in the playoffs. The second is he takes away snaps to develop Corral. I can’t find a legit analyst anywhere that says he is on par with Darnold…

14 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

They can easily throw this right back at us. They can tell us if we truly want to roll with Sam instead of forking over an extra $4m, to go right ahead 

And thus the stalemate.

I'm less worried about the money then the pick. CLE should be giving us the pick, but the other way around.

Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer reports the Browns are willing to pick up half of Baker Mayfield's salary in a trade.

The Panthers would only do a Mayfield trade “if it’s a bargain,” according to Breer, with Sam Darnold already making $18 million on a fifth-year option. Paying $9 million of Mayfield’s salary is closer to the reported $13 million the Panthers asked the Browns to cover at the draft. Carolina’s renewed Mayfield interest is a bad sign for third-round QB Matt Corral. The Mayfield market is expected to heat up ahead of July’s training camp.

16 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer reports the Browns are willing to pick up half of Baker Mayfield's salary in a trade.

The Panthers would only do a Mayfield trade “if it’s a bargain,” according to Breer, with Sam Darnold already making $18 million on a fifth-year option. Paying $9 million of Mayfield’s salary is closer to the reported $13 million the Panthers asked the Browns to cover at the draft. Carolina’s renewed Mayfield interest is a bad sign for third-round QB Matt Corral. The Mayfield market is expected to heat up ahead of July’s training camp.

Further down the rabbit hole we go. 

17 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

No, its not a bad sign for Corral. Its better. Instead of throwing him to the wolves, he gets to learn and understand more. Then he will be more ready to be an NFL QB in the future.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

No, its not a bad sign for Corral. Its better. Instead of throwing him to the wolves, he gets to learn and understand more. Then he will be more ready to be an NFL QB in the future.

I don't want him learning from Mayfield. Wish we could find a true solid veteran he could learn from 

33 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

In the future when? This should be Rhules last chance. If we are picking high next year I dont think a new coach is going to tie his success to a 3rd round unproven QB. Corral pretty much has this year to show what he has. 

Baker isnt saving this team or Rhule. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 1

Do NOT bail out the Browns for screwing this up so badly, the entire league knows they have absolutely ZERO leverage as they owe Baker every penny of that contract even if they cut him, and everyone knows they can't have him at day 1 of training camp given everything that has happened.

Plus, there are only a couple potential teams out there that would want him, and even less that will trade for him (such as the Lions, I think if Baker is cut, they'd go after him, but they aren't trading any asset for him as they'd be fine rolling with Goff in what is going to be a lost year anyways).  We're basically competing with ourselves for him, no reason to pay a cent of his salary in a trade.

To me, there are only 3 acceptable options for Baker to be a Panther this year......

1. Browns cut him and we sign him for the vet minimum and not a dollar more (he'll get $20 million from the Browns, if he demands more than the vet minimum, no team should be willing to pay it).

2. We send them a 5th round or worse pick (seriously, I wouldn't do it for a 4th rounder) and they pay all but the vet minimum of his contract and not a dollar less.

3. We swap Baker for Darnold straight up (this is also assuming that since they basically have the same contract for next year, there isn't any kind of dead money hits associated with it, but I'm not fully sure how all that works, if we'd have to take a cap hit along with paying Baker's salary, then it's a no go for me)

Anything other than one of the 3 scenarios above, and I couldn't say no fast enough.  This team isn't competing for a championship this year regardless of who is at QB, and Baker isn't anything of a sure thing for a franchise QB moving forward.  We've screwed up the QB position for 2 years now, I'm fine giving Baker a shot to see what he may be outside of the Browns, but not if we're paying above the vet minimum to do so.  At that point I'd just rather roll Corral out there and see what he might be, and if we don't like what we see, break the bank next year to trade up in the draft to get a QB we like.

Oh, and if we can dump Robby in any trade for Baker, then I'm all in on that too, so sick of that guy and his act, we pay way too much money to have him out there as our #2 but playing like a #4 and dropping passes left and right.  I'd prolly increase it to give up a 4th rounder in a trade for Baker if it meant them taking on Robby too.

• Beer 1