• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much would you trade for Baker for 1 year rental?

Cam's New Arm

The way I look at it:

1. If we trade for Baker …. Baker starts all season (unless injured), Corral does not play, Draft position 10-14 (which means no top QB for us) and we don’t know if Corral can play

2. No trade …. Darnold starts (does good), Corral doesn’t play, Draft about the same as Baker, but we still dont know if Corral can play.

3. No trade … Darnold starts and shits the bed again, Corral plays at least half the season, Draft 4-8, we know what we have in Corral so we know if we need one of the top QBs or can we trade down from there.

But all of this means …. Baker and Darnold, no matter if they do good or bad, no one will trust them with a big contract so they will be gone …. As of right now the 2023 QB room is Corral and PJ.

We need Corral to play, good or bad. If Corral does not play, we enter 2023 in QB hell for another year.

23 minutes ago, Panther53521 said:

We need Corral to play, good or bad. If Corral does not play, we enter 2023 in QB hell for another year.

That's a myth. Corral could;

1. Start all year, play like total cheeks like a lot of rookies do, then put together a decent career here or elsewhere.

2. Start the second half of the year play decently and give us hope, turn out to be totally meh year two, then knocks around the league a la Matt Moore

3. Starts all year and gives us the Justin Fields question mark, or worse, the Zack Wilson question mark with a bonus injury

4. Play all year, looks great and gives us the RG Kaepernik III effect. 

5. I could keep going, the possibilities are endless, but there is a downside to him playing when he's not ready. I know. Golden Corral picture, Tepper is reading.

33 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Agreed and Baker makes it way more probable that Corral doesn’t see the field. You don’t make a trade for Mayfield to sit him. Darnold isn’t playing well so Corral gets enough reps to evaluate if we do nothing. Heck, we aren’t extending Darnold, so even if Corral is close enough, he’ll get the nod.

I keep saying this in other threads where people say the only way that Rhule stays is by getting Mayfield. That’s a bunch of crap. Rhule stays an NFL coach if Corral steps up and becomes a good QB. That’s the best option for Rhule. I don’t know if Rhule stays if we have to draft a first round QB in 2023.

And if Corral flops like most rookie QBs?  It seems you have the assumption that Corral performing adequte-to-decent is a given.  History has shown otherwise for rookie QBs, especially 3rd rounders.  I like Corral, but I'm going to err on the side of history in this case.  Just an aside, this roster is nowhere near the level that Dak Prescott and Russel Wilson found themselves in their rookie seasons.

• Beer 1

55 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Agreed and Baker makes it way more probable that Corral doesn’t see the field. You don’t make a trade for Mayfield to sit him. Darnold isn’t playing well so Corral gets enough reps to evaluate if we do nothing. Heck, we aren’t extending Darnold, so even if Corral is close enough, he’ll get the nod.

I keep saying this in other threads where people say the only way that Rhule stays is by getting Mayfield. That’s a bunch of crap. Rhule stays an NFL coach if Corral steps up and becomes a good QB. That’s the best option for Rhule. I don’t know if Rhule stays if we have to draft a first round QB in 2023.

I mean, Corral could look promising and we still not win games.  I think Rhule needs wins. 

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Truth.  They also need to draft another qb next year regardless. 

Exactly.  It may seem I'm a Baker fanboy, however I'm just trying to put myself in Matt Rhule's shoes or rather, his hot seat.  Even if Baker signs here, he's not the solution beyond this season.

My ultimate goal for QB lies in next year's draft.  Let that be put on the record amid all this Baker Mayfield discussion.

5 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

I see your argument, but Mayfield had a better year than Darnold by quite a bit, all while being injured for a majority of the year. I’d get Mayfield and dump Darnold. Let MC develop behind Mayfield. Mayfield has actually seen success in the NFL. Darnold hasn’t. 

And I see your argument--Darnold has never had a line, and it shows.  However, I see where people think Mayfield had more upside--we will probably see---but if Mayfield plays well-do you pay him $200m for 5 years?

Baker Passer rating in 2021: 83

Darnold Passer rating in 2021: 72

So to support your point, even injured, Baker did better--but he did have a better OL.  To me, the OL is the difference maker as much as the QB.  We were HORRIBLE last year up the middle.

28 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

And I see your argument--Darnold has never had a line, and it shows.  However, I see where people think Mayfield had more upside--we will probably see---but if Mayfield plays well-do you pay him $200m for 5 years?

Baker Passer rating in 2021: 83

Darnold Passer rating in 2021: 72

So to support your point, even injured, Baker did better--but he did have a better OL.  To me, the OL is the difference maker as much as the QB.  We were HORRIBLE last year up the middle.

Counter to that is even in college w/ great OL play and when the OL has held up for Sam in the pros.....he has consistently been a bonehead in all conditions w/ the ball.   I mean, I think the arguement does exist that the OL isn't what makes Sam Darnold bad.  It makes him worse.  But it's not making Sam be stupid w/ the ball.  

• Beer 2