• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network analyst suggests Rhule needs Mayfield to save his job

Mr. Scot

51 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

To actually be fair, he's not simply "losing it to Deshaun Watson" as if there was some training camp competition that Watson just happened to win out.  They apparently found the idea of starting Baker Mayfield so objectionable that they instead made a conscious and informed decision to risk throwing 3 1st round picks and $230 million guaranteed to someone who was mired in so many legal issues that his status in the league was/is legitimately in jeopardy.

Betting on the wisdom of the Cleveland Browns is certainly a bold strategy.

As to Lance...

Acho referred to him as "One Play Trey".

There's also thoughts from Peter king, who while he supports Lance says he's heard a "din" of negative comments and acknowledges that Lance's inexperience is concerning, mentioning that he only threw 318 passes in his entire college career.

Lots of people have questions about Lance, many of them centering around the fact that even when garoppolo needed surgery, the Niners wouldn't start him.

Edited by Mr. Scot

I don’t pay attention to the news media anymore. Their goal seems to have changed.  Honesty died approximately 30 - 40 years ago.   The goal today seems to be,  stirring up people and watching the result.

This tweet is someone’s opinion.  I think Mayfield will be much better than Darnold.  However,  I don’t think Mayfield is worth a high cost.  If Panthers do get mayfield, I think he should start.  If Panthers don’t get mayfield, I think there should be a competition for the starting job.

36 minutes ago, Green-Ghost said:

I don’t pay attention to the news media anymore. Their goal seems to have changed.  Honesty died approximately 30 - 40 years ago.   The goal today seems to be,  stirring up people and watching the result.

This tweet is someone’s opinion.  I think Mayfield will be much better than Darnold.  However,  I don’t think Mayfield is worth a high cost.  If Panthers do get mayfield, I think he should start.  If Panthers don’t get mayfield, I think there should be a competition for the starting job.

To be clear, the guy who tweeted isn't the guy who expressed the opinion.

He was citing a guy on NFL Network.

• Pie 1

In these types of stories, one should look at Mayfield as a proxy for "QB who has the potential to be competent and sprinkle in some big plays along the way."  Rhule needing a quality year from the QB position in order to help make himself look somewhat competent is not breaking news.

Rhule is on the hot seat regardless who plays at quarterback. Only way Rhule saves his job IMO is if he makes the playoffs. Now if he feels Baker will be a better option for him to make the playoffs then go for it.

But if Baker comes here and say gets the Panthers an extra win or two but still doesnt make the playoffs, now the Panthers have screwed themselves getting one of the top 2 QB in the next year draft.

Thats why rolling with Darnold and Corral is the best option IMO. If Sam is terrible, it will almost guarantee a top 5 pick next season, and possibly in the driver seat to take a QB Next draft. IF Sam is terrible, it will give Corral the chance to develop.

Bring in Baker, and even if he is mediocre, they will probably allow him to play out the entire season because of contract year, so that means no Corral playing, the Panthers will still suck and not make the playoffs, and  might just ruin their chances at getting a QB Next draft.

Baker at this point is a bailout for Rhule who doesnt deserve one. Bringing Baker will still get Rhule Fired because the Panthers will not win that much more with him than with Darnold

So Sam Acho doesn't believe Lance will make it, and yet James Jones is making comparisons to A-Rod and Mahomes. And Jones isn't just coming out the side of his neck.

And Erik Armstead is "expecting great things..."

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/158819-armstead-jimmy-garoppolo-criticism-expecting-great-things-lance/

I only point these things out to showcase that there are two sides to the story. But if you look up reports within the past month, there are way more positive than negative. 

Edited by top dawg

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I only point these things out to showcase that there are two sides to the story. But if you look up reports within the past month, they are way more positive than negative. 

So are the ones about Sam Darnold.

(also true this time last year)

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So are the ones about Sam Darnold.

(also true this time last year)

I haven't heard one teammate say that Darnold is special, or the QB of the future, or really anything of the sort. Darnold has that spectre of we-don't-want-him-starting-in-2022 right behind him (even if it's unspoken).

It wasn't so long ago that Rhule was equivocating on why Darnold's option was picked up so quickly, we were killing ourselves to get Watson, and (more recently) rumors about Danold losing his QB1 status were flowing through Panther land. Support of Darnold is as big of a ghost as Darnold has ever seen on the gridiron. Not so with Lance.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I haven't heard one teammate say that Darnold is special, or the QB of the future, or really anything of the sort. Darnold has that spectre of we-don't-want-him-starting-in-2022 right behind him (even if it's unspoken).

It wasn't so long ago that Rhule was equivocating on why Darnold's option was picked up so quickly, we were killing ourselves to get Watson, and (more recently) rumors about Danold losing his QB1 status were flowing through Panther land. Support of Darnold is as big of a ghost as Darnold has ever seen on the gridiron. Not so with Lance.

Yeah, but Lance is where Darnold was last year. An equivalent comparison would be Darnold's press/commentary this time last year vs today's comments about Lance.

For example, Cam Erving (lolz):

https://catcrave.com/2021/08/07/5-major-sam-darnold-observations-week-2-panthers-camp/4/

“He (Sam Darnold) controls the huddle, which is a great thing you want to see in a quarterback. He has really good pocket presence. He knows when to get out and turn it into a scramble drill. He’s learning every day as well; this is a new system for him. I’m excited; I have nothing but optimism when I look at Sam as a quarterback.”

https://nypost.com/2021/06/16/sam-darnold-has-glowing-charisma-away-from-jets-robby-anderson/

I saw like a new energy out of him, a glowing charisma that I didn’t really see in New York,” said Anderson, who caught passes from Darnold with the Jets in 2018 and 2019. “… You know when a person, you can see a glow in them, their energy, an aura — I can see that when I walked into the building and just being around him.

https://www.nfl.com/news/training-camp-buzz-2021-august-8

NFL Network's Cameron Wolfe reported Sunday from Panthers camp that Darnold has been "turning it on" recently ...

From CMC:

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/20/christian-mccaffrey-sings-the-praise-of-usc-trojans-sam-darnold-with-carolina-panthers/

Notably, star running back Christian McCaffrey spoke about his new signal-caller, as reported by David Newton of ESPN. 

“I think I’ve seen him grow in a lot of ways,” McCaffrey said. “He’s a guy that approaches each day the exact same and continues to strive to get better. But when you make a statement Day One like Sam did, I think it’s tough — you just expect that from here on out.  As a leader, he’ll text guys late at night, asking about plays, giving us what he sees on certain plays. And you can just tell he’s dialed in.”

I'm not saying anything definitive about Lance per se, simply showing that there was plenty of that last year just like there may be for Lance now.

4 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Yeah, but Lance is where Darnold was last year. An equivalent comparison would be Darnold's press/commentary this time last year vs today's comments about Lance.

For example, Cam Erving (lolz):

https://catcrave.com/2021/08/07/5-major-sam-darnold-observations-week-2-panthers-camp/4/

https://nypost.com/2021/06/16/sam-darnold-has-glowing-charisma-away-from-jets-robby-anderson/

https://www.nfl.com/news/training-camp-buzz-2021-august-8

From CMC:

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/20/christian-mccaffrey-sings-the-praise-of-usc-trojans-sam-darnold-with-carolina-panthers/

I'm not saying anything definitive about Lance per se, simply showing that there was plenty of that last year just like there may be for Lance now.

There are comparisons, but there are also big differences due to the context of their situations. For example, pretty much everyone believes that the 49ers know what they're doing. Questions abound whether our current FO is simply not over their heads--a joke. 

We'll see, but I think that the slope gets real slippery by trying to compare Darnold and Lance at this point. Darnold has/had a body of work, and Lance does not.