• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CJ Henderson

ncfan

I don't hate the CJ trade, but it's emblematic of a big problem I have with Rhule: overconfidence in his ability to turn players careers around. Whether it's a retread QB, a player with injury history, his best buddy/someone he liked from college, etc, it feels like he's just so arrogant that he thinks he can overcome the strongest predictor of a player's future: Their career to date.  There are always exceptions, and I hope CJ is one, because if he can live up to some of his potential it will have been a great trade.

• Beer 2

Horn was in the slot a good bit in his 2 1/2 games last year so having CJ and Keith Taylor to rotate on the outside when horn moves into the slot is gonna make us very good in the secondary along with Chin and woods. 

19 hours ago, therealmjl said:

Meh. He doesn’t really have the desire to be great.

There's been a lot of Pro Bowl caliber players over the years that don't have that. 

Will CJ be a HOF player? No likely not. 

But he could be an EXCELLENT #2 CB behind Jaycee for years to come which is worth it in the modern NFL

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, SOJA said:

There's been a lot of Pro Bowl caliber players over the years that don't have that. 

Will CJ be a HOF player? No likely not. 

But he could be an EXCELLENT #2 CB behind Jaycee for years to come which is worth it in the modern NFL

I really have to disagree with the first part of that statement. You rarely accidentally become a Pro Bowler. It's definitely not common.

Players who lack desire to be great or general love for football don't typically enjoy very long or successful careers. 

A team throwing in the towel on a top 10 draft pick after only one season is about as big as red flags get.

Second only to actually watching a guy suck out loud and being probably the worst starting QB in the NFL for three seasons.

I guess being accused by a sizable portion of the American female population of sexual misconduct deserves a mention as well.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

A team throwing in the towel on a top 10 draft pick after only one season is about as big as red flags get.

yep, the dude doesnt love football and was contemplating retirement and then we swooped in.  The observer article posted is just trying to sugarcoat things talking about how quiet he is etc.  Maybe he works out but the odds are not in his favor

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, mav1234 said:

I don't hate the CJ trade, but it's emblematic of a big problem I have with Rhule: overconfidence in his ability to turn players careers around. Whether it's a retread QB, a player with injury history, his best buddy/someone he liked from college, etc, it feels like he's just so arrogant that he thinks he can overcome the strongest predictor of a player's future: Their career to date.  There are always exceptions, and I hope CJ is one, because if he can live up to some of his potential it will have been a great trade.

He was in Jax under Meyer. That situation was just awful. Not saying he gets a pass, but he gets a little grace. Rhule isn't the guy I trust to turn careers around, but maybe CJ really needed to get out of that cess pool in Jax. 

• Pie 1

Yeah I have zero expectations for CJ Henderson.  This guy has the talent to be a probowl corner, yet you can't even start over Donte Jackson?  Somebody else said it, Keith Taylor is the guy we should be watching for in development.  Nobody knows why CJ Henderson plays football, but it's clear he doesn't embrace it.  That's not a judgement on his quiet demeanor.  There are plenty of attention shy guys in the league who have done well and continue to do well.  It's just clear from past interviews football is not his passion.

• Beer 1

On 6/21/2022 at 2:52 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:

Oh now all of you love him now? How convenient, I'm disgusted with all of you.  

I never hopped off the CJ bandwagon. I think he is going to be just fine this year not coming after after dealing with the shitshow JAX is especially with UM as his head coach. This season is a fresh start and he should be healthy. 

15 hours ago, stbugs said:

SMH, who the F cares where CJ was ranked pre-draft. His PFF rating was 50 last year. Also, we are spending more in cap because we also extended Thomas since we didn’t have a much cheaper Arnold, so you can’t ignore that either. Also, if you really think we traded for Gilmore to keep him off the Bucs, there’s no point to continue.

Also, your draft trade info is incorrect even if you don’t swap the 5th for Arnold. Pick 70 is 240 value and pick 144 is 31 value. That’s a 209 point difference which is pick 76, the 12th pick in the 3rd. Again, CJ is valued as pick 70 with Arnold thrown in, not a 4th.

Maybe I’ll eat crow but I’d much rather have had pick 70 to get a solid LB or OL or Corral (and still have the 2023 3rd and 2022 4th). Especially since CJ was likely not going to be on the Jaguars much longer.

I for sure care if a player is unanimously ranked as a top ten pick 2 years ago, so should you! You think thats it, hes a 50 scrub now and forever? Is that the line of thinking you hold for everyone.....maybe we dont agree as much as I thought. He did come in-season and with injuries as well, but I dont know you remember that as well. 

TE deal, disagreed with re-signing Ian"done nothing, but potential!!" thomas. Aronld was losing snaps each week to Temble, thats part of the reason too(they did showcase him some too). Aronld blocking skills were worse than Olsen on a bad day. 

Preventing Gilmore from landing with the bucs, was for sure part of reasonS. 

Draft infro was correct when the trade happened. Panthers were in the playoffs and around 18th in order. I looked at both charts right after the trade and the difference was off 3rd round page. It was before the comp picks were even out. After the wheels came off and seasons end panthers ended up 6th. Jags remained 1st and there was little reason to believe they were not the worse. 

I still take CJ today 10/10, the upside is vastly more than the 70th pick or 4th rounder. Dan Aronld has no effect, either way. 

We normally agree on most panther moves, but this is for sure is a total picking sides. 

What are you willing to bet and what to you want to bet? I feel youre honest and most times we have similar thoughts/opinions. So we both have to agree on whether CJ has a good year or awful year. Once we agree to terms, we can also agree to third party judge if theres another rare disagreement. "Good" "awful" are highly subjective, but we can use common sense. All I ask is if a ACL/back/etc season ender happens early season, the bet is off.   

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

He was in Jax under Meyer. That situation was just awful. Not saying he gets a pass, but he gets a little grace. Rhule isn't the guy I trust to turn careers around, but maybe CJ really needed to get out of that cess pool in Jax. 

Right, which is why I don't hate the trade. I do wish we'd seen just a little more out of CJ last year so I'd have a bit more enthusiasm about him in particular, but I'll give him another year without complaint (not that my opinion actually matters to the Panthers anyway).

27 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Right, which is why I don't hate the trade. I do wish we'd seen just a little more out of CJ last year so I'd have a bit more enthusiasm about him in particular, but I'll give him another year without complaint (not that my opinion actually matters to the Panthers anyway).

The only thing that will bug me really is if Muma turns out to be a good LB and CJ flops. That was our pick and Muma is a player I was pretty interested in and had him slated to go mid to late 2nd. 

• Pie 2