• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adam Rank doesn't know what the bar for Rhule is.

top dawg

Nobody knows what the bar is for Rhule this season, or how even to measure "success". I suspect that the bar is relatively low considering the reset of the coaching staff and a focused effort--finally--to address obvious needs. 

"For 2022 to be a success, the Panthers MUST:

"I don't know, man. Are the6 playoffs the measure of success for this team? Again, winning six games would clear the bar set over the past three years. The Panthers were the only team with a top-three total defense and a bottom-three total offense in 2021. That's the first time that has happened since -- checks notes -- the Washington ⚽ team in 2020. Fine, so it wasn't that long ago. Whether the Panthers are in the postseason mix or Rhule ends up buying some more time as he develops a quarterback, they must show some improvement."

Rank's article, just like most reads this time of year doesn't really provide anything new, but he does sound like he's not on the for-Rhule-it's-playoffs-or-bust train. He almost sounds like a Rhule apologist, but he's just stating the obvious reasons why the 2021 season spiralled. He seems to be pushing the thoughts that I've been expressing all along, which is that no one knows what the bar is for Rhule to stay or Rhule to go, but that there just needs to be some improvement. He also seems to think, just like some of us, that the team is not bereft of talent in personnel, and that McAdoo can realistically be a big upgrade, provided that he has enough time to fully implement his system and has the QB to do it. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/state-of-the-2022-carolina-panthers-time-for-matt-rhule-to-make-some-real-progre

image.gif

I think it's a lot less a bar for Rhule and much more of a question of when Tepper will swallow his pride and admit his colossal mistake. Man, he sure was proud when he thought he'd pulled off stealing Rhule out from under the Giants' noses. He was trotting Rhule around showing him off like a proud new papa. That sure turned into deep embarrassment and Tepper hiding out from the public in record time. 😂

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

There's a lot of truth in that. Given Teppers ramblings of late it doesn't appear Rhule is any danger anytime soon. I do believe he has to show significant improvement in the competitiveness of his team. How many wins the equates to is anyone's guess. 

• Pie 2

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it's a lot less a bar for Rhule and much more of a question of when Tepper will swallow his pride and admit his colossal mistake. Man, he sure was proud when he thought he'd pulled off stealing Rhule out from under the Giants' noses. He was trotting Rhule around showing him off like a proud new papa. That sure turned into deep embarrassment and Tepper hiding out from the public in record time. 😂

Exactly, any other coach already here or hired by a GM not winning some playoff games would get the Teddy/Sam/Cam treatment. Not the guy, next! 

I've already long accepted Rhule is likely here this season and next. The way Tepper has been with different issues thus far shows what he wants is what he gets. He made the investment and likely all the complaining from the fans could very well have only made him more adamant in his commitment to Rhule. So barring a catastrophe and a locker room torn apart what you see is what you get.

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What’s funny is if/when the team has a winning season he might literally show everyone his weener, if he can find it under his gut.

• Flames 1

Meh. NFL guy says stuff. One of his bosses is our owner. Meh.

Tepper's lack of experience and knowledge will dictate what happens next. He is already not getting a new stadium now. He basically bought himself 10 years to figure it out while he renovates BOA. Anything incredibly stupid is on the table. All I can hope for is that the crowd helps him figure it out and his ego gives into it.

Tepper is definitely no moron. He didn't get to where he is without being cunning, highly intelligent and one bad ass shark of a business mogul. The only issue I see that he has is his ego and his being willing to die on whatever Hill he plants his flag on. I'm not so sure if that's his bravery he has in business or if it is just pure ego or both.

Count me into the "Fire Rhule's Ass Last Year" crowd. I feel like he has shown enough to prove he may not have the ability or the mind to run an NFL team. He most definitely does not deserve all the power of the final say so he was given on a roster. I feel like Rhule's true to God niche is coaching mid tier college football programs to decent turn arounds and a mid level bowl bid. In the NFL he is probably nothing more than an assistant coach and that's if he really improves from here and loses some of his own ego.

I just don't believe in the direction we are headed with Rhule and I think Tepper is keeping him now for a season longer than he should have. I never wish our team to perform poorly and I have a feeling even if we do perform poorly that Rhule will still get 5 total years at least. Only thing that might prevent that is if Sean Payton decided to coach again at the end of this coming season. I seriously believe that Tepper would very much consider firing Rhule to get Sean Payton as a coach. Tepper didn't come up the Panther way which is why he has no love or sentimental feeling towards "Keep Pounding" and why he didn't care about it at all. As a Panthers fan Keep Pounding to me was almost like our national anthem but not to Tepper. I feel like he also never developed a hatred of Sean Payton and as analytical as he is I do believe he knows Payton is a great coach no matter of he is a poo stain of a person or not and this guy deciding to coach again could make Tepper say goodbye to Rhule as scary and odd as it is to think of Payton wearing Panthers colors. I would be shocked and probably disgusted at first but then when I let emotion go numb I would realize we just got one hell of a great coach who may be a shut human being but can't deny one amazingly brilliant coach.

• Beer 1

I think we'll know by mid-October. There's a good chance we'll know by mid-September. 

Honestly, I just want Rhule gone and we move on, sooner than later. There are some really talented young men on this team whose best playing years are being wasted while Rhule does his on-the-job training bullshit. Let's move on and he can either go back to the middling college game or get him an assistant coaching gig with another NFL team. 

And as for Tepper, I wish we'd have taken a longer time in finding a qualified buyer. He's just not a good fit for the NFL, the region or the fans.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I think we'll know by mid-October. There's a good chance we'll know by mid-September. 

Honestly, I just want Rhule gone and we move on, sooner than later. There are some really talented young men on this team whose best playing years are being wasted while Rhule does his on-the-job training bullshit. Let's move on and he can either go back to the middling college game or get him an assistant coaching gig with another NFL team. 

And as for Tepper, I wish we'd have taken a longer time in finding a qualified buyer. He's just not a good fit for the NFL, the region or the fans.

Yeah we will know mid sept.  The first four games are crucial and after that the schedule gets really hard.  If we dont go at least 2-2 then we are in for a (another) long ass year

• Pie 1