• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NC declines to legalize sports betting

Mr. Scot

If places are going to allow sports betting just legalize all gambling ffs. Can’t even play online poker lmao.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that ever since major online sports betting sites and apps have become popular/major money makers, the state of officiating in professional sports has gone down the toilet. 

• Pie 5

Just now, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Meh. We have it here now but I don't do it. The chances of you making bank off it are very very low. It's just a waste of your money.

In NY too, it literally changed nothing but a few people losing and winning some cash on stupid bets and making a little tax money for the state. Scratch offs/powerball and people blowing money on crypto are already happening so this has to be a money grab holdout for politicians 

59 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Me either. I never bet but just allowing the money to go elsewhere is stupid. It is already established and roadmaps for how to do it are in place. This is true for many items that this state remains in the stone-age on. I get not leading the pack but at a certain point it is just stupid and self harming when it has already become normalized and people here are doing it anyways.  

I had a friend in Ohio who used to lose hundreds of dollars on a regular basis. He always lied to his wife about where the money went.

Don't know how he got away with it but he usually did.

25 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

In NY too, it literally changed nothing but a few people losing and winning some cash on stupid bets and making a little tax money for the state. Scratch offs/powerball and people blowing money on crypto are already happening so this has to be a money grab holdout for politicians 

NC already runs a gambling state run lottery, allows FanDuel/Draftkings, etc.  It’s just politicians using a new bill to get money for filtered into things they want.    

• Beer 3

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

NC already runs a gambling state run lottery, allows FanDuel/Draftkings, etc.  It’s just politicians using a new bill to get money for filtered into things they want.    

Oh yeah I love the 400 pages of small print every time politicians want to push a seemingly simple vote through. That's the full time job, not serving their communities who voted for them

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

34 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm also in NY. The state is now the largest online sports betting market in the US with almost $8 Billion wagered.

Total NY Betting Handle $7,926,099,678
Total NY Betting Revenue $563,360,864
Total State Tax Revenue $287,314,041
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Oh yeah I love the 400 pages of small print every time politicians want to push a seemingly simple vote through. That's the full time job, not serving their communities who voted for them

like what does how much money HBCUs, county sports, etc get out of the bill…..have to do with if you are okay sports gambling.   Bills are never about the bills.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I had a friend in Ohio who used to lose hundreds of dollars on a regular basis. He always lied to his wife about where the money went.

Don't know how he got away with it but he usually did.

I'll play $20 in slots to kill time and feel underwhelmed but I understand the addiction signs. It's like alcohol and alcoholism, banning it doesn't work because it will still be around so might as well make it regulated and then spend the effort to help those thst can't help themselves...if they want it. Your friend had to get caught eventually or he kept it below noticeable in his finances.

• Pie 2