• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets Summer League Roster

Daddy_Uncle

5 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

The Hornets offseason is what's sad. Im just trying to hold them accountable and tired of our ignorant fans that love mediocrity. 

Please explain how you are holding Michael Jordan, Mitch Kupchak, etc accountable by showing your @ss on a message board? 

I can promise you that every fan on this message board and every other one would love to have a championship team. B!tching at everyone on here and being a general @sshole aint it chief. Nobody on here can change anything. We're all living with the decisions by the millionaires and billionaires and just hope that one day we'll be lucky enough their decisions will work out. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

We have a glut of projected big men now and guards. I'd look seriously into what us the goals for Bouknight and a guy like Thor. To me, Thor and Kai need to stay and be the future 3 n 4 and Mark at the 5. The thing is, we have to balance the roster with vets too. 

45 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

You know Mark had a good game when this thread is silent as a mouse.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I only watched 10 min or so, but he really impacted the other teams shooting. There were several times they were trying to shoot but had to pull back. He also looks really smooth for such a tall guy running up and down in transition. Not saying he’ll be a star, but he sure is what we were missing last year. 

• Beer 1

Mark and Bryce are definitely going to need time in the G-League. 

Mark showed more flashes than I was expecting but is definitely still raw in some areas. Even in his two years at Duke he only played 23.6 minutes this past season. I think getting consistent 30+ minute nights will help him a ton. 

Even with 28 points, I still just don't see it with Thor. He looks the part but bricks some horrible shots.

Kai to me is an enigma. I think he could play right now. But, to me, he truly is a 4. To do that, he still needs to work on his shot. Regardless, I think he is going to be a star. Maybe not immediately but pretty soon with enough minutes.

23 hours ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

Please explain how you are holding Michael Jordan, Mitch Kupchak, etc accountable by showing your @ss on a message board? 

I can promise you that every fan on this message board and every other one would love to have a championship team. B!tching at everyone on here and being a general @sshole aint it chief. Nobody on here can change anything. We're all living with the decisions by the millionaires and billionaires and just hope that one day we'll be lucky enough their decisions will work out. 

I actually agree with you here. I for sure sold my season tickets, so I guess that's my only way Ive tried to hold them accountable. But my goal is to try to change our fans love for mediocrity any way I can. Bringing up awareness any where I can. This team just continues to make bad decision after bad decision. I don't understand MJ....the most competitive guy ever has been the worst gm/owner I have ever seen in my 25 years of life.

On 7/17/2022 at 12:41 PM, Jared Patterson said:

I actually agree with you here. I for sure sold my season tickets, so I guess that's my only way Ive tried to hold them accountable. But my goal is to try to change our fans love for mediocrity any way I can. Bringing up awareness any where I can. This team just continues to make bad decision after bad decision. I don't understand MJ....the most competitive guy ever has been the worst gm/owner I have ever seen in my 25 years of life.

I get where you're coming from man. I want to be better than play in game eligible. I actually predicted in a mock that Duren and Williams would be our picks and was ecstatic when that was the move. I was super disappointed when they made the trade and received a later pick for next year. But all of the issues you argue about Williams were said directly about Duren. After watching summer league he has some growing up to do. He was the one bent over taking gasping breaths and he played what six more minutes a game. He got put in ball screens and gave up layups over and over. He took jump shots and missed them badly. He also threw some good passes, had some nice finishes, and made some blocks. He and Williams looked pretty much similar. But right now, Williams is a better FT shooter, and played better in college. The huge chasm that you argue exists actually doesn't. I get that Duren is younger, but these one and done big men have a history of flaming out. And if you are drafting off of potential, it doesn't make sense to have both with Kai, Thor, and Richards already on your roster. The point that he can't start over Richards was put to rest as they made Richards sit and started Williams against Chicago. They both played well at times and so so other times. And trust me, I watched both during summer league intensely for the same reasons as you.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

I get where you're coming from man. I want to be better than play in game eligible. I actually predicted in a mock that Duren and Williams would be our picks and was ecstatic when that was the move. I was super disappointed when they made the trade and received a later pick for next year. But all of the issues you argue about Williams were said directly about Duren. After watching summer league he has some growing up to do. He was the one bent over taking gasping breaths and he played what six more minutes a game. He got put in ball screens and gave up layups over and over. He took jump shots and missed them badly. He also threw some good passes, had some nice finishes, and made some blocks. He and Williams looked pretty much similar. But right now, Williams is a better FT shooter, and played better in college. The huge chasm that you argue exists actually doesn't. I get that Duren is younger, but these one and done big men have a history of flaming out. And if you are drafting off of potential, it doesn't make sense to have both with Kai, Thor, and Richards already on your roster. The point that he can't start over Richards was put to rest as they made Richards sit and started Williams against Chicago. They both played well at times and so so other times. And trust me, I watched both during summer league intensely for the same reasons as you.

What? Duren was all summer league per Stein and looked 1000xs better in college. You definitely never saw him at Memphis. Its not about stats if you truly watched him you would see the difference in strength, ball skills, athleticism, and potential. Please stop comparing the two. Again compare him to Nick Richards who he cant start over. I cant believe I even have to put Duren and Williams in the same sentence. I guess we have different definitions of good.

14 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

What? Duren was all summer league per Stein and looked 1000xs better in college. You definitely never saw him at Memphis. Its not about stats if you truly watched him you would see the difference in strength, ball skills, athleticism, and potential. Please stop comparing the two. Again compare him to Nick Richards who he cant start over. I cant believe I even have to put Duren and Williams in the same sentence. I guess we have different definitions of good.

Duren has not been that impressive. All his points came off easy dunks and rolls to the rim and even that had a lot to do with playing with a competent PG unlike williams had in SL.  More importantly the guy cant REBOUND worth anything while Williams has been consistent on the defensive end and cleaning the boards while not fouling.

Duren in 61 minutes this summer:

34 points
10 rebounds
6 assists
3 blocks
1 steal
11 fouls
13-20 FG
 Only 10 rebounds is unacceptable. Its not a given at all he will be better than williams. 

Edited by CPF4LIFE
  • Pie 1

54 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Williams has been consistent on the defensive end and cleaning the boards while not fouling.

To me this has been possibly the most impressive part for Williams and a very largely overlooked aspect of a defensive big's game. There are a lot of guys who chase blocks but collect fouls while doing it. I noticed this tendency while watching several of Duren's college games and it made me uneasy about him as a prospect. 

Williams has been incredible at affecting shots and getting some very nice blocks without fouling. 

In 19.4 minutes per game he averaged 1.4 fouls. Meanwhile Holmgren averaged 4.0 fouls in 27 minutes, Wiseman averaged 4.5 in 20 minutes, and Duren averaged 3.7 in 20.5 minutes. 

I think based on this you can assume his defensive game is definitely going to translate very well. Offensively, he's going to get opportunities to put down lobs and get some offensive rebound opportunities. The biggest key to his success is if he can 1) get more comfortable shooting around the rim and 2) develop just enough of a jump shot to keep defenders honest. 

I will also say, I was pretty impressed with his passing out of the post as well. I did not expect him to be as good at that as he was. 

• Pie 2