• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why can't they do this with NFL stadiums?

ladypanther

4 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Football-Neyland-Stadium-Renovation-2022-New-Neyland-Stadium-capacity-revealed-189144878/

So...over 100 years old and doing very well.  An NFL stadium is old at 20.  Seems like something is not right here.

College football games are much different than NFL in my experience. NFL is solely about making money. College is more about football experience. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

College football games are much different than NFL in my experience. NFL is solely about making money. College is more about football experience. 

The atmosphere and the rabid fans are surely different but don't kid yourself, college football is all about the money and now that college players can get paid, it will even be more about the money.

• Pie 9

55 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The atmosphere and the rabid fans are surely different but don't kid yourself, college football is all about the money and now that college players can get paid, it will even be more about the money.

True. It's just with college fans built in from the student body, there's an inherent loyalty that you don't really get from the NFL. The NFL is always trying to attract new customers and to get big dollars for big tickets, it always has to be the newer shinier experience. I'm sure college will progress that direction now that players are being paid, but it won't go as far. Michigan - Ohio State in the big house was probably my 2nd best football game experience only trumped by inaugural game at Ericcson Stadium beating down the Falcons with my dad. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Football-Neyland-Stadium-Renovation-2022-New-Neyland-Stadium-capacity-revealed-189144878/

So...over 100 years old and doing very well.  An NFL stadium is old at 20.  Seems like something is not right here.

Yeah just like the Olympics when they pick a random city that doesn’t have capacity for it and a bunch of rushed corrupt construction happens. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

True. It's just with college fans built in from the student body, there's an inherent loyalty that you don't really get from the NFL. The NFL is always trying to attract new customers and to get big dollars for big tickets, it always has to be the newer shinier experience. I'm sure college will progress that direction now that players are being paid, but it won't go as far. Michigan - Ohio State in the big house was probably my 2nd best football game experience only trumped by inaugural game at Ericcson Stadium beating down the Falcons with my dad. 

Absolutely. 

The stands at Fan Fest are louder than almost any game I’ve been to. When you actually let people in that care it really makes a difference. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Depreciation to offset profit in an NFL owned stadium vs a non-profit with boosters and school boards in college stadiums. Just the nature of the beast where only the game on the field is similar.

Green Bay makes sense because it is fan owned who would value the history of the place vs what they did in LA or Dallas. That is my guess but who knows, only Green Bay releases any financials in the NFL.

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

Yeah just like the Olympics when they pick a random city that doesn’t have capacity for it and a bunch of rushed corrupt construction happens. 

the Atlanta Olympics didn't leave the city saddled with debt or a bunch of venues that were left to deteriorate over time. 

Granted, some haven't lasted (the tennis facility made a solid attempt, but ultimately was sold to a developer) - but it was still less of a negative economic impact than other cities have fared.

(sure, there was an insane amount of merchandising/sponsorship/logos everywhere -- but that's the tradeoff)

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

the Atlanta Olympics didn't leave the city saddled with debt or a bunch of venues that were left to deteriorate over time. 

Granted, some haven't lasted (the tennis facility made a solid attempt, but ultimately was sold to a developer) - but it was still less of a negative economic impact than other cities have fared.

(sure, there was an insane amount of merchandising/sponsorship/logos everywhere -- but that's the tradeoff)

That has changed dramatically. Hence why a lot of cities aren't trying to be considered for the Olympics. The bang for the buck is very low.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1