• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Observer loses another beat reporter

trueblade

I didn't see this posted. Please delete if a duplicate.

It seems like every talented beat reporter we get in Charlotte moves on in short order. Jourdan was the first to come to mind, but I feel like there were a couple other really good ones who moved on as well.

Edited by trueblade
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 5

3 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Seems to be a theme in Charlotte.

it's honeslty the theme for all media and marketing companies. Their goals and profit models change when the wind blows a new direction. That means your writer's capabilities need to change, as well as their goals and beliefs. So the attrition levels are high and the volatiltiy of business goals and iniatives are extremely high.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I think everyone missed the forest for the trees.  Dude is leaving to cover the TEXANS! How big of a poo show do you have to be to take a job to cover the biggest poo show in the entire NFL (okay, maybe second outside of the DC Commandos).

Edited by 45catfan
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I think everyone missed the forest for the trees.  Dude is leaving to cover the TEXANS! How big of a poo show do you have to be to take a job to cover the biggest poos how in the entire NFL (okay, maybe second outside of the DC Commandos).

This is a reflection on the Observer.

It’s why the writers are trying to unionize.

• Beer 1

It' gotta be about the money...if it's simply a lateral move. Could be about upwardly mobile opportunities as well. I would think that generally Houston would provide more opportunities for Alexander than Charlotte, but who knows? I don't think that it has anything to do with the Panthers. 

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Panthercougar68 said:

This is a reflection on the Observer.

It’s why the writers are trying to unionize.

Oh, I get it's a reflection on the Observer...but how bad does it get where taking a job to cover the Texans is a seen a better career choice?  Pretty bad obviously.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I think everyone missed the forest for the trees.  Dude is leaving to cover the TEXANS! How big of a poo show do you have to be to take a job to cover the biggest poo show in the entire NFL (okay, maybe second outside of the DC Commandos).

Houston is a much bigger market than Charlotte though.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Oh, I get it's a reflection on the Observer...but how bad does it get where taking a job to cover the Texans is a seen a better career choice?  Pretty bad obviously.

It's the Houston Chronicle. I mean, I don't follow the Texans at all and have heard of the Houston Chronicle. I only know the Charlotte Observer because of the Panthers. This is entirely about the paper and nothing at all to do with the team. Most likely, it's about money. Not everything is a dump on the Panthers. Surely you were joking right? O.o

Edited by Luciu5
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Houston is a much bigger market than Charlotte though.

Probably a better salary, too.  It seems like a lateral move to cover an even bigger circus that the Panthers.  There had to be a lure.  Either better money or he was complete done working at the Observer.  If it's the later, that's pretty damning.  Again, I doubt people were lining up to be the beat reporter of the Texans.

• Beer 2