• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the 5 Worst Defenses of 2022

Ricky Spanish

7 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I'm not sure about bottom 5, but the D is definitely worse than a lot of people on here think they are. Its an average D at best. 

Secondary might be great in coverage but my worry is the front 7 and getting demolished by the run.  If that happens, Chinn or Jackson will have to be tackling machines.  
hopefully YGM and Brown both take steps forward. 

• Pie 3

Just now, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Secondary might be great in coverage but my worry is the front 7 and getting demolished by the run.  If that happens, Chinn or Jackson will have to be tackling machines.  
hopefully YGM and Brown both take steps forward. 

We werent even great in coverage last year. Horn could be a stud, Jackson is average, Henderson needs to develop or he will get picked on again. 

I have some hope for YGM if he can stay healthy,  Brown needs to have a monster season or its about time to be thinking about moving on from him, Vernon butler 2.0.

Burns needs to be play with discipline and quit making a b line for the QB on every damn play.

All and all, I dont have high hopes for the D, Snow is also average at best as a DC.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

We were definitely bottom 5 in fantasy leagues towards the end of last season, as far as points given up, lack of interceptions, etc. Take away Reddicks sacks and it could get ugly in real life. 9 interceptions total last year as well for those loving our secondary. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Our problem on defense is we have potential, but that potential is unrealized as yet. 

Compound that with being put in bad positions too often by the offense, who either turned the ball over in our own end or and three-and-outs keeping them on the field, and you get the idea.

We need some of our potential to become reality, the offense needs to stop being on the short list of our defense's worst enemies, and the defense creating some turnovers when they are put in bad situations or just find themselves in the red zone would all help.

Sometimes a defense has to take control, and that looked beyond us last year.

• Pie 4

Personally, I don't think this guy is that far off. 

With Reddick gone we lose 11 sacks and replace those with nothing really proven. Our best Corner hit FA and we are replacing him with an unproven second year player limited his rookie year due to injury, Donte Jackson who is incredibly streaky, and CJ Henderson who has proven nothing yet. Chinn is still playing Safety where his impact isn't felt as much as it would be at LB, but we did add Woods to assist in the back. 

We need a bunch of unproven guys to step up in Brown, YGM, Hayes, Horn, and Henderson and we didn't really do much to address the defense's main weakness which was stopping the run. It seems our plans going into this season for that are "Hope the young guys develop", and that has me worried. 

Our defense was fools gold last year and not very good if you look at efficiency stats. Sure we didn't give up a lot of yards, but we also didn't stop other teams from scoring a lot of points either - mainly thanks to the poor run defense. 

For all the good work we did on the offensive line this offseason, it felt like the D-Line was equally neglected other than bringing in Ionnadis. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Wouldn’t call Shaq “young” anymore, but he’s not too far off.  It’s easy to run on us and we didn’t really do much to fix that, except for simply hoping our players get better.  “The Process” so to speak.  We also lost our best pass rusher.  YGM is important this year and if he doesn’t improve then it could get ugly again in the run game.  Derrick Brown also needs to show why he was drafted top 10 after a lackluster sophomore season.  

I still think Chinn would be better suited more towards the line of scrimmage, but whatever.  Our secondary has a lot of talent and Horn coming back is great.  If Henderson can even become average, that’s a huge boost for us.

• Beer 2

42 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Personally, I don't think this guy is that far off. 

With Reddick gone we lose 11 sacks and replace those with nothing really proven. Our best Corner hit FA and we are replacing him with an unproven second year player limited his rookie year due to injury, Donte Jackson who is incredibly streaky, and CJ Henderson who has proven nothing yet. Chinn is still playing Safety where his impact isn't felt as much as it would be at LB, but we did add Woods to assist in the back. 

We need a bunch of unproven guys to step up in Brown, YGM, Hayes, Horn, and Henderson and we didn't really do much to address the defense's main weakness which was stopping the run. It seems our plans going into this season for that are "Hope the young guys develop", and that has me worried. 

Our defense was fools gold last year and not very good if you look at efficiency stats. Sure we didn't give up a lot of yards, but we also didn't stop other teams from scoring a lot of points either - mainly thanks to the poor run defense. 

For all the good work we did on the offensive line this offseason, it felt like the D-Line was equally neglected other than bringing in Ionnadis. 

Agreed 100%, you basically said what I did but much more eloquently.  Shouldn’t Ricky Spanish be off causing a ruckus in Langley Falls?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

I'm not sure about bottom 5, but the D is definitely worse than a lot of people on here think they are. Its an average D at best. 

Yep. It started out nicely but you couldn’t depend on them at all and gave up big plays that lost games. Been that way with Snow and Rhule. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1