• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the 5 Worst Defenses of 2022

Ricky Spanish

14 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Eh, not really. We were a top unit giving up yardage. It wasn’t the offenses fault that we gave up 2 TDs for every three times opponents got in the red zone. As the article said, we were only better than two teams at that.

On the flip side the defense also makes the offense one dimensional when they give up TDs so easily. Kind of like how in weeks 1-3, the offense got hot starts and allowed our D to pin their ears back against first time QBs and Winston without coaches. Week 4 started the crash and burn but wouldn’t you say Darnold did enough against Dallas leading us to 28 points? After that the entire team folded badly except against Colt McCoy.

So if we aren’t giving up yards but giving up points it tells me the offense is leaving the defense with shitty field position.

The number of 3 and outs for our offense put us 29th in the league. But it’s all the defenses fault.

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Pie 2

9 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It also means teams scored enough that they didn’t need to pass later in the games, which is also on the offense. Teams just ran out the clock this not needing to pile up yards.

The stat that made us amount the bottom 3 was red zone TD % such that when teams got to the red zone, they scored at will. That has nothing to do with 3 and outs. That’s just means we were crazy easy to score against and that doesn’t even count red zone FGs. We were 5th worst in interceptions and total turnovers so if you got to the red zone against us, you scored and two times out of three you scored a TD.

Our offense was putrid after week 4, but our defense wasn’t good after week 3 either. It wouldn’t shock me if we finished near the bottom in D. God forbid we have any key injuries. 

Snow being completely baffled that the Cowboys ran some run plays he'd never seen on tape was a huge red flag, and something he shouldn't have even mentioned in an interview. He was talking about that post game when he should have figured out an adjustment at halftime. I like him better than Rhule but both are way in over their heads at an NFL level and we it probably drives half the players insane when the schemes are total trash

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

We coasted on the stats from our first three games. Our defense was creampuff soft for the rest of the season. I know the offense often put them in bad situations, but they couldn't get themselves off of the field, either.

I haven't seen much to make me think anything is better coming into this season. And the defensive coaching is still outdated.

Sorry, wish there was something better to say.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, stbugs said:

It also means teams scored enough that they didn’t need to pass later in the games, which is also on the offense. Teams just ran out the clock this not needing to pile up yards.

The stat that made us amount the bottom 3 was red zone TD % such that when teams got to the red zone, they scored at will. That has nothing to do with 3 and outs. That’s just means we were crazy easy to score against and that doesn’t even count red zone FGs. We were 5th worst in interceptions and total turnovers so if you got to the red zone against us, you scored and two times out of three you scored a TD.

Our offense was putrid after week 4, but our defense wasn’t good after week 3 either. It wouldn’t shock me if we finished near the bottom in D. God forbid we have any key injuries. 

Not buying that argument. Short fields and turnovers puts undue pressure on the defense, so of course the opposition is going to score. We had issues to be sure, but the offense was a huge one. The other huge one was getting burned on third downs. If we can change that around, our defense will be top 10. If we change both, top five.

Edited by top dawg

But those yards in 2021! Lol

It was average last year. We could be anywhere from average again to a real big step back. Bottom 5...maybe if teams just keep running against us from week 1 on, a handful of guys don't take really big steps in improving or a key injury or 3. It could happen. 

Edited by Waldo

Our D has a lot of potential. D. Brown to me is the key. If he can hold his gap and B. Burns can set his edge we may be able to stop the run, especially when Wilson is on the field at MLB. The trouble will come If Brown and Leonidas can't hold their gaps in our Hybrid sets, then when move to more even fronts will Burns be able to set his edge. Our personnel use isn't always paired well. Chinn (or Rhodes) in the box more could help. I hope we figure it out, b/c we do have good personnel at most positions.

4 hours ago, CRA said:

I can't find it but I would be curious to see what our opponents average starting field position was vs the rest of the league. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

We had the 32nd starting defensive field position at the 33.5. 

Its true, our redzone defense sucked.  We also sucked at forcing turnovers.

We were 21st in points but that ignores the number of times the defense has to see the field at the worst starting position.  We had 2nd most defensive drives at 197.  

We averaged 1.98 points allowed per defensive drive which puts us at 15th... 2 spots behind the 9ers (1.95)  and better than Browns, Vikings, Packers and way better than WFT. 

This wasn't a bottom 5 D last year and if it doesn't get decimated by injury, it won't be this year.

• Pie 3

I agree our rushing D looked worse than our passing D, but neither were bottom of the league bad.

We were 15th in total rushing yards allowed.

Funny thing is, we were 8th in rushing yards allowed per attempt, so go figure.
Meanwhile In passing we were 9th in passing yards allowed per attempt. 

Edited by poundaway

On 6/29/2022 at 7:27 PM, Jared Patterson said:

We won't be able to stop the run at all this season.... you could tell that from mini camp (which is a terrible sign w/o pads) and the holes were massive. Not as good as a defense as some on here think. Definitely below average, but a ton of young studs that will grow together and with more draft picks and salary space we can become great quick, but specifically for this year we will struggle. For those of you that think Ianaidis, Haynes and Luvu can stop the run you are crazy. 

Because Brown is a “no pun intended” a gigantic bust. The guy needs a nasty streak and isn’t.