• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most Underrated Player on Every NFL Team

kungfoodude

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

They had just about as easy of a path through Brown.

He was supposed to be a disciplined run support guy but he has been anything but that.

Need him to put it all together this season.

He seems to rank pretty average in run defense, while playing in a defense that was built to defend the pass. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/23/pff-2020-draft-panthers-winfield-brown-chinn/

This kind of sums it up for me. Is he worth a top 10 pick so far? Definitely not, but they still have him in the late 1st. PFF claims he improved his run defense last year slightly (really hard to measure). Give him some bigger/better LBs than Carter and Whitehead plus better run support than Burns/Reddick on the outsides and I think he will look solid. Our LBs are still pretty bad, but better than last year and YGM should help our run defense IMO. 

10 hours ago, thefuzz said:

DJ.

It's known he's "good" when actually he's better than that.  If he had competent QB play...even something like Jake, he would be higher on lists.

This. DJ always gets mentioned nationally as "a nice weapon" while Robbie is viewed as "the guy". In truth, DJ is one of the best in the league and that's with Teddy and Darnold/post-injury Cam throwing.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

He seems to rank pretty average in run defense, while playing in a defense that was built to defend the pass. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/23/pff-2020-draft-panthers-winfield-brown-chinn/

This kind of sums it up for me. Is he worth a top 10 pick so far? Definitely not, but they still have him in the late 1st. PFF claims he improved his run defense last year slightly (really hard to measure). Give him some bigger/better LBs than Carter and Whitehead plus better run support than Burns/Reddick on the outsides and I think he will look solid. Our LBs are still pretty bad, but better than last year and YGM should help our run defense IMO. 

He gets himself in bad positions way too often, IMO. 

But, he has this year to figure it out. Hopefully he really jumps up to the next level and shows that he is a top 10 caliber pick.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He is a 1st round talent IMO. The man was a beast in college and demanded double teams early his rookie year. He definitely took a step back last year, but I think he is in for a good year this season. I mean if teams wanted to run on us last year they had an easy path through Reddick or Burns.

Maybe but he isn’t in this D with this scheme. It is hard to tell because of that. A players worth isn't just their potential but how they are used. 

I would be rrally interested to see him in another scheme but I think we see more of the same this year unfortunately.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Maybe but he isn’t in this D with this scheme. It is hard to tell because of that. A players worth isn't just their potential but how they are used. 

I would be rrally interested to see him in another scheme but I think we see more of the same this year unfortunately.

Good point. He built this defense to stop the pass with investments in the secondary, smaller faster LBs, and Burns/Reddick on the ends. If Brown is the only run stopper then I’m sure he has been overthinking too much and getting frustrated especially considering he is still pretty young. Honestly I’m not very high on Snow as our DC. Maybe Wilks can give some input. 

• Beer 2

14 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Good point. He built this defense to stop the pass with investments in the secondary, smaller faster LBs, and Burns/Reddick on the ends. If Brown is the only run stopper then I’m sure he has been overthinking too much and getting frustrated especially considering he is still pretty young. Honestly I’m not very high on Snow as our DC. Maybe Wilks can give some input. 

Every day we get closer to this year I get less excited about the D Snow built. I love what Wilks can do with the DBs, i just don’t know what he has to offer more than that or that it is really going to help this year but the next staff given this staffs scheme weaknesses.

For what we ask him to do we could have gone with much latter talent and really seen no difference. It's like with the DBs. No matter their potential but if they can't go ridiculously beyond what we should be asking of them will it really even matter? I don’t think so after last year.