• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield is a Carolina Panther

uncfan888

1 minute ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Yeah, because we usually win games that we are expected to win …

Nothing makes some of you people happy.  I hope y'all are not as miserable in your real lives as you are on here.  

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

14 minutes ago, Call Me James said:
15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We were literally negotiating this trade at the time we drafted Corral.

You have an immediate starter on a one-year deal for minimal cash and a rookie who gets to sit back and learn.

Speaking as someone who cares neither for Baker Mayfield nor Matt Rhule, I can objectively say that's not a bad arrangement.

You obviously think Baker is going to be bad. That's the only way you can come to this conclusion

Not at all. If Baker balls out, we try to resign him. If he sucks, we've lost very little because Darnold already sucked. 

I think that in reality we're going to get something in between. Baker will be average, which will win us a few more games, make Darnold immediately obsolete (if he wasn't already), and means that we don't have to throw Corral to the wolves.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

I really dont see a negative here.  I dont love Baker but hes fairly young and we are getting him cheap and for a conditional 5th rounder.  If he sucks he is for sure gone after this season and he gave our rookie qb who needs time, the time he needs.  The worst case scenario I guess if you're just looking for one its he plays great and then we have to decide what to do after this season, but if the worst case scenario is we have a 27 year old qb who plays great then I will take that worst case every time.

it's just because baker is a whiny crybaby coward and he also kinda sucks

Just now, Cdparr7 said:

Exactly, Corral has to battle PJ for the final spot. 

Good luck on beating one of his pets. 

Yeah...can't see that at all.

Pretty sure keeping PJ Walker over Matt Corral would be Matt Rhule's fast track ticket to the unemployment line.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Drama's over.  Let the dynasty begin.

Also, let the funny commercials - now at BoA - get a-rolling.

...if the commercials start again...we'll know hes not serious and will show in his play...he'll be gone..no hair off our azz...

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

I really dont see a negative here.  I dont love Baker but hes fairly young and we are getting him cheap and for a conditional 5th rounder.  If he sucks he is for sure gone after this season and he gave our rookie qb who needs time, the time he needs.  The worst case scenario I guess if you're just looking for one its he plays great and then we have to decide what to do after this season, but if the worst case scenario is we have a 27 year old qb who plays great then I will take that worst case every time.

I think the negative here is people hate Rhule so the best case for them is we lose every game, fire Rhule and draft a new QB and start the rebuild over again. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

Finished 8th last year with multiple injuries.  Still a top 10, but most of it is run blocking grades.  

Preseason it was ranked #1 overall.  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

They dropped because of injury.  From your link: Cleveland’s starting five forms one of the best offensive lines in the game. 

I wonder what our line rank if both tackles went down.

Even with injuries two OL were probowlers last year: Bitonio and Teller.

Edited by poundaway

2 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Not at all. If Baker balls out, we try to resign him. If he sucks, we've lost very little because Darnold already sucked. 

I think that in reality we're going to get something in between. Baker will be average, which will win us a few more games, make Darnold immediately obsolete (if he wasn't already), and means that we don't have to throw Corral to the wolves.

Do you believe corral is better than next year's QB class?

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

So you're expecting Matt to be the backup? Because the starter the gets the lion's share of reps, the backup gets the rest and the third guy gets basically zero.

I think when it's all said and done he very well could be the back up.  I would imagine we will unload Sam if anyone will pay any portion of that damn salary.  Similar to what we did with Teddy.  Our staff isn't the brightest, but they really cut lose of a QB when they finally realize they aren't good enough.  

21 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

You obviously think Baker is going to be bad. That's the only way you can come to this conclusion.

I don't know that at all.

I'm not a fan of him, and I wasn't a fan of this trade, but I wouldn't guarantee he's going to be terrible.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

Preseason it was ranked #1 overall.  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

They dropped because of injury.  From your link: Cleveland’s starting five forms one of the best offensive lines in the game. 

I wonder what our line rank if both tackles went down.

Preseason rankings don't matter.  It's how they performed throughout the season.

• Pie 1