• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person and The 33rd Team break down the Mayfield trade

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Adb6368 said:

Logic makes no sense. If baker is good enough to save Rhules job then the team shows progress and he gets a long term extension. 

if he’s horrible Rhule gets fired and baker walks next year.

that’s the only 2 options here

well thats kindof the debate no?  Whats good enough to save his and job and do we really want to give baker a massive new contract based on that?

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

(subscription required)

Good article, with my favorite line being a quote from Steve Smith:

“He wears his emotions on his sleeve. I do, too. I was an emotional player. But the difference between Baker and I is one, I won the triple crown — I led the league in something besides crying.” 

Ouch 😬

Smitty has since changed his tune, of course...

I love Steve, he was spot on in his commentary about Faker

4 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

Logic makes no sense. If baker is good enough to save Rhules job then the team shows progress and he gets a long term extension. 

Or Baker is mediocre and this dumba$$ franchise gives him a big contract and we win 8 games, Rhule is still here and we are stuck with a mediocre QB for 4 or 5 years. 
I am aware mediocre QBs can have success, just look at the Titans QB. But they will always hold a team back, like the Titans QB. 

46 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

No. God damn this team is a dumpster fire. 

we have good talent on both sides of the ball...if the stars align who knows...but you and I know the experience of the coaching staff will ultimately fail the team.

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Or Baker is mediocre and this dumba$$ franchise gives him a big contract and we win 8 games, Rhule is still here and we are stuck with a mediocre QB for 4 or 5 years. 
I am aware mediocre QBs can have success, just look at the Titans QB. But they will always hold a team back, like the Titans QB. 

or Delhomme...

Going back to teddy it’s been really weird decision making regarding the QB position. They spent all that cash and all that draft capitol to stack a room with baker, Sam, and corral. 2 of which have some decent investment - but Baker most likely plays. And there’s only 1 QB on the field at a time. Just really bizarre. 

Bringing in Baker makes Corral totally irrelevant now moving forward unless Baker totally craps the bed. Chances are he won’t 

3 minutes ago, Pimpdaddy said:

we have good talent on both sides of the ball...if the stars align who knows...but you and I know the experience of the coaching staff will ultimately fail the team.

I mean maybe McAdoodle can do something for the offense. I just fear he will be too handicapped by Rhule. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Rubi said:

Going back to teddy it’s been really weird decision making regarding the QB position. They spent all that cash and all that draft capitol to stack a room with baker, Sam, and corral. 2 of which have some decent investment - but Baker most likely plays. And there’s only 1 QB on the field at a time. Just really bizarre. 

Bringing in Baker makes Corral totally irrelevant now moving forward unless Baker totally craps the bed. Chances are he won’t 

my brother and I were discussing this last night and he surmised that MC must have looked bad, I mean real bad in the mini camp for them to push him further down the depth chart and not even try and do something with him knowing their jobs are at stake

Dont know if thats true or no because I dont think the beat writers said anything like that but its a plausible theory

It seems really expensive what they’ve done to create their QB room. I can’t recall any other team doing this unless someone can lay out another example. 
(amount of $ spent and draft picks traded away to bring in QBs)

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

my brother and I were discussing this last night and he surmised that MC must have looked bad, I mean real bad in the mini camp for them to push him further down the depth chart and not even try and do something with him knowing their jobs are at stake

Dont know if thats true or no because I dont think the beat writers said anything like that but its a plausible theory

Weren’t they trying to get Baker before the draft? It’s like they were hell bent on over spending resources to create a QB competition. 

38 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I was thinking about this earlier this morning... If you think about the teams in the league that are and have been looking for a QB... its pretty long:

1. Giants
2. WFT
3. Texans
4. SEA
5. ATL
6. NO
7. MIA
8. CAR
9. Jets
10. CHI
11. IND
12. JAX

All of these teams have been looking for a talented young QB... the jury is still out on their current QBs. This isnt a Carolina Panther problem, its an NFL franchise problem.

So if Baker were so desired and cheap why didnt any of those teams make a play for him?

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

worse case scenario falls in between that though. 

Baker isn't good but better than Sam.  CMC stays healthy.  We stumble into 7-8 wins.  Which is another losing record.  Rhule basically looks like the same guy we saw the first two years.  But we win more games. 

What do you do?