• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panther's Secondary This Year.

Michael G

I am really interested in our secondary this year. There is a lot going on with this Group.

-Steve Wilks taking over

-J. Horn returning from injury

-CJ Henderson getting coached up this offseason and starting fresh

-Djax coming back (and Juston Burris)

-Adding X. Rhodes (and Chris Westry)

What are our expectations for this group? Who are our starters? Who is the Nickel? Will Chinn see more time in the box (Woods has excelled in this role too)? Who plays (deep centerfield) FS when needed? Who gets cut from the CB room (any surprises)? 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

They're probably going to need to be good because this year's pass rush isn't likely as good as last year's.

Throw in that teams realized they could run on us last year. If they still can, that doesn't help either.

Being able to run and a lesser rush were mutually intertwined.... Reddick was small and terrible at setting the edge, We got better at a DT spot and LB (Carter was a featherweight). 

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

They're probably going to need to be good because this year's pass rush isn't likely as good as last year's.

Throw in that teams realized they could run on us last year. If they still can, that doesn't help either.

Replacing speed rush with beefy-er guys should bolster the run D along with a new Mike-backer.

• Pie 2

I think Dunlap is a UFA signing that is just waiting for the unnecessary mini camp reps that vets usually try to avoid happen. This will help the DL rotation.

To the OP, our secondary has to be a strength both in traits, and depth. Vets and youngsters. 

Shaq and Littleton will also pair well in between.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Shaq and Littleton will also pair well in between.

Yep. I wonder if Littleton will keep Chinn on the backend more. I could see him eating some of those Buffalo Nickel reps, but then again Chinn could get more of those with Burris/Robinson and Woods in the lineup. We have a lot of options it seems.

Corner Backs on the Roster; Horn, D.Jax, Henderson, Taylor, Westry, S.T-Oliver III, R. Melvin, Hartsfield (DB/N) and M. Harper (an UDFA). Who starts where? Whats the rotation like? Who gets cut besides Harper? Who handles the nickel if not Hartsfield (or if he gets hurt)?

I expect we keep Horn and Djax as the starting Outside Corners depending on scheme and Hartsfield as the N. Taylor, Westry, and Henderson will rotate in. It would not surprise me to see Horn play some nickel at times depending on how opposing receivers are lining up (especially against Pitts and Atl). 

Edited by Michael G

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah we need to put Chinn in a position to make plays near the LOS.  I'd like to see his pass rushing moves.

Edited by Tommy Jone
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

I am really interested in our secondary this year. There is a lot going on with this Group.

-Steve Wilks taking over

-J. Horn returning from injury

-CJ Henderson getting coached up this offseason and starting fresh

-Djax coming back (and Juston Burris)

-Adding X. Rhodes (and Chris Westry)

What are our expectations for this group? Who are our starters? Who is the Nickel? Will Chinn see more time in the box (Woods has excelled in this role too)? Who plays (deep centerfield) FS when needed? Who gets cut from the CB room (any surprises)? 

I am excited at the potential. There's a ton of it.  Horn bounces back to his play early last season, CJ puts it together, Jackson actually has one of his "up" years, and Rhodes plays well.

If it all comes together there is a lot to like.  I think it mostly comes down to coaching.  The raw talent in the secondary (we have I think three 9.90+ RAS guys) is there.

Edited by Tommy Jone
  • Pie 1

Henderson looks like a solid find in the mid-rounds...we took him not because of need but because he was BPA and we were surprised to see him last so late.  He looked good when forced into action due to injuries last year.

I think Horn is going to be an Pro Bowler if he can stay healthy.  A non contact injury is concerning, but he looks the real deal, and when all is said and done, he may be the best corner in Panthers history.

The cornerback group is our strongest area in our defense...we are talented, athletic, deep and young.  

I really think Horn being back shuts down his area of the field, which will help our front 7 a lot.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

We're once again at the "on paper" optimistic side of things. That side of the pillow warms up pretty fast around here and isn't comfortable for long.

But hey, through training camp, we can dream a bit!

Don't wake me, I'm dreamin'

• Pie 2