• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker's #?

GOAT

Sorry guys, but you can't go retiring every number that belonged to a player you liked.

This is one case where I actually agree with Tepper. With all the Hall of Famers in their history, the Steelers could retire a load of numbers, but they don't.

Retiring Sam Mills number made sense because Mills was more than just a good player.

Newton? Kuechly? Smith? I can see equipment managers holding them back for a few years, but retiring them? Nah.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

#17 Should Be up there has well, was a botched kick away from being superbowl mvp, and took this franchise to places we never dreamed possible 

Honestly, agreed.  Jake isn't appreciated enough.  I loved that guy.

• Pie 4

Just now, TheCasillas said:

Im aware, I called that out earlier in the thread. Im sure PJ will accept some cash for the number based on his current career trajectory. 

Our buddy Ellis points out that the number 13 represents a "baker's dozen".

Hadn't thought about that but... 🤔

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sorry guys, but you can't go retiring every number that belonged to a player you liked.

This is one case where I actually agree with Tepper. With all the Hall of Famers in their history, the Steelers could retire a load of numbers, but they don't.

Retiring Sam Mills number made sense because Mills was more than just a good player.

Newton? Kuechly? Smith? I can see equipment managers holding them back for a few years, but retiring them? Nah.

You can always let players wear famous numbers (Yankees have done it numerous times) then eventually retire that number and for the player it's meant to be tied to. Not saying anyone will or should wear #1, but it could easily be worn by someone else, then after they part ways you can retire it "for Cam".