• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article on why we should cut Darnold….am I wrong for being against this??

WarPanthers89

Hear me out….I cringe thinking of Sam “Gumby” Darnold being our starter at any point again, but we are already on the hook for his full salary, and he would be a top tier NFL backup if needed for a short period of time. This would allow Corral to have a true redshirt year and develop into a potential future starter, and take things very slow. This would be wonderful for his long term development in my humble opinion. What say ye fellow degenerates?? What is your thoughts on keeping Gumby vs Cutting him (for the sake of discussion this is for cutting - not trading him which btw will not happen) 

Article Snip:

ESPN’s David Newton reports that the Carolina Panthers do not intend to release Sam Darnold despite trading for Baker Mayfield. Carolina suggests there will be a quarterback competition, but all signs point towards Mayfield taking over. There also appears little interest around the league in acquiring Darnold. Will there be an actual training camp competition for the starting job between Mayfield and Darnold? Is it wise that Carolina keeps Darnold around? Despite owing 18 million in guaranteed money, Carolina should release Darnold before training camp to create a more defined vision at the quarterback position and to make sure that rookie quarterback Matt Corral’s development isn’t slowed by failed past decisions.

FULL ARTICLE:

https://www.carolinacatchronicles.com/newsfeed/2022/7/9/carolina-would-be-wise-to-release-sam-darnold-before-it-impedes-matt-corrals-development

6590E65D-149F-4355-9021-AF59E32DF895.jpeg

C587969F-12D6-41A3-8307-3FA15E6169D6.jpeg

19DC9D5E-AF23-4D89-BF7E-EFEC94AC54E7.jpeg

11 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Let them compete.. Why is this such a bad thing??

I don’t care how much they compete in practice, no way I’d take Sam starting over Baker no matter how they look in camp. Darnold has always been a strong practice guy….well maybe strong is the wrong word. The article questions Corrals development if he’s not number 2 compared to Sam being our primary backup. I would like for Corral to have a true redshirt year where he does not see the field at all and really gets time to grasp the NFL so that he has the best shot at long term success. If Matt was the primary backup and Baker goes down he could be thrown to the wolves and pick up some bad habits. Being that we picked him him in the third round there should be no pressure for him to perform immediately. 

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 1

It's utter madness to release Darnold at this point.  I don't want to see him play another snap for us, but I also don't want to release him.  It's highly unlikely, but we could end up getting something for him.  Even getting a 6th rounder for him while we pay his salary is better than releasing him.

Hurney would release him.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

People who are afraid to cut him are just tightwads. It isn't your money. If you're mad about the thought of him earning all that for doing nothing well go have a chat with Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer. They sealed this outcome many months ago. Either way he isn't going to do anything near enough to justify what we paid him. Just get him out of here and end this distracting nonsense.

• Pie 1

All indications are that Darnold is a decent locker room guy. Unless you get $3mil plus in salary covered by another team, no reason to not keep him.

Let’s say you cut him. Why would another team offer anything more than the league minimum for him. (Unless I’m overlooking differences waiver and cut).