• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vikings Wire writer taking potshots at Panthers

top dawg

A good not good enough QB vs a meh not good enough QB vs a not good backup QB is hardly something to celebrate. Now compare Cousins to the top 5 lol.

Be glad for what you have and try to do better if you can without shooting yourself in the foot.

9 hours ago, top dawg said:

Well, this was mildly entertaining, if not unsolicited. 

"It seems like only yesterday the Carolina Panthers were reportedly 'laughing off' any potential interest in Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins.

"Now, they’re heading into the 2022 season with fellow castoffs, Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield... “

"Is it funny now?"

"The rehabilitation project for Darnold, who saw more ghosts than Haley Joel Osment with the New York Jets, hasn’t gone according to plan. The Panthers still only won five games for a third straight season, and Darnold was still seeing Casper.

"Meanwhile, Mayfield is coming from a roster with an embarrassment of riches on the offensive side of the ball—reliable offensive line, two Pro Bowl running backs, a stud tight end and a receiving tandem with eight combined Pro Bowls between them.

"What more does one man need to be successful in the NFL?"

"Cousins is obviously a cut above both Darnold and Mayfield, and he gets lambasted daily, even following a season where he threw for 4,221 yards, 33 touchdowns and only seven interceptions. The Vikings’ “problem” would be another team’s treasure."

https://sports.yahoo.com/panthers-dismissal-kirk-cousins-proof-151426693.html

Well...maybe the grass isn't greener up there in Minny either. I certainly don't think a Vikings fan has a right to be clowning (notwithstanding that terrible pass by Darnold right to their guy).

My only response to the article's author: LOL whatever. It sounds like a fan who was having a bad day wrote this.

52 minutes ago, frankw said:

They barely outlasted a comeback attempt from a Sam Darnold led offense and he's chest thumping?

If we are going to make fun of them along those lines...

...they almost lost to the Lions TWICE.  They gave the Lions their first win of the season in week 13.  That's embarrassing enough.  However, they ALMOST lost to the Lions back in 5.  They needed a miracle finish to kick a 54 yard game winner as time expired to pull it out vs the Lions.  They also lost to Baker and the Browns.

• Pie 1

Lol what have the Vikings done with Cousins to be in a position to trash talk any team in the league. I'd take Baker at $5M over Cousins at his cap hit 100 times out of 100. Darnold was a mistake as was Teddy. Neither was as big or long term of a mistake though as Cousins in MN. They are stuck in purgatory with him.

• Beer 1

41 minutes ago, countryboi said:

I dont understand why I should care what he thinks

It's not about caring what he thinks TBH. But I understand that not everyone will see and appreciate the humor in it all.

I was amused by (in no particular order):

1) The writer's lack of understanding of the dynamics of our situation.

2) The fact that there may be elements of truth in what he is saying

3) His refusal to acknowledge that just like our moves could ultimately reap similarly bad things of the recent past, that it could also reap great benefits.

4) His omission of MC9 (which apparently is not just a thing by some here [*zinger* for the bastards 😂]

5)  Especially the irony in crying about us not wanting to pay the price for his QB that he must REALLY want gone. 

6) That he's writing about us at all (especially considering that his team provides plenty of fodder).

There are probably other amusing elements to this on different levels yet to be mentioned for anyone that cares to explore them (or not). 

It's simply just fodder for discussion.

33 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

If we are going to make fun of them along those lines...

...they almost lost to the Lions TWICE.  They gave the Lions their first win of the season in week 13.  That's embarrassing enough.  However, they ALMOST lost to the Lions back in 5.  They needed a miracle finish to kick a 54 yard game winner as time expired to pull it out vs the Lions.  They also lost to Baker and the Browns.

Well, to be fair, we didn't have to play the Lions last season...

charlton heston laughing GIF

16 minutes ago, t96 said:

Lol what have the Vikings done with Cousins to be in a position to trash talk any team in the league. I'd take Baker at $5M over Cousins at his cap hit 100 times out of 100. Darnold was a mistake as was Teddy. Neither was as big or long term of a mistake though as Cousins in MN. They are stuck in purgatory with him.

I am guessing when you say "purgatory" you are talking about the concept of having a QB that is just good enough that it prevents the team from moving on.  He's not winning the division or making deep playoff runs...but he wins enough to take them out of range for the top QBs in the draft.  They could go into free agency, but noone who is available is guaranteed to be an upgrade.  The only other avenue is the trade market.  But teams don't want to take on Cousins salary and it would need to be shed in order to bring another high dollar guy in.

Having a QB like Cousins is one of the weirdest places to be as an NFL team.  It kind of reminds me of owning an out of warranty German luxury car while being severely upside down on the loan.  You want to dump it because of all of the issues and maintenance costs, but at the same time its super hard to unload it in a deal that makes sense because of the negative equity.  Its also a good car...when it runs.  So getting something that isn't a clear downgrade is a challenge.  Next thing you know you are contemplating whether you should pay $20,000 for a $5,000 Nissan Sentra and eat the negative equity that way...pay $70,000 for a $55,000 Lexus...or just ride it out until the wheels and your checkbook fall off.  Saying that for a friend...

Jesse Pinkman Reaction GIF by Breaking Bad

• Pie 3