• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pre 2018 Draft Write up on Baker

Ricky Spanish

29 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/18/baker-mayfield-2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks

Good read. Still don't know what the hell to think.

Whats very telling to me here is when Lincoln Riley says that Baker can do more than most other QB's and it allowed him to make weekly adjustments. Look at how Oklahoma performed with Caleb Williams and Spencer Rattler, both more ideal in terms of physical traits. They have the talent around them, yet they still struggle.

Then you get OU with Baker who is a late score away from the National Championship and they almost hang 50 on Kirby Smart in a playoff game. That's a big deal.

I will reiterate this, the more I read and watch, the more I feel like the Browns just Browned. Bad organizations will do what bad organizations do and the Browns are a bad organization. They let OBJ divide the locker room, then Stefanski misses a meeting and rides Baker hard for pointing it out. The coaching staff put the onus of leadership on other positions then sent a QB out there with a torn labrum and then crucified him in the media.

It's the Browns, y'all. 

“He came in believing he was the guy,” says linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, who was a Sooners sophomore when Mayfield arrived in 2015. “At first people were like, Huh? But he earned the respect so fast. . . . On the first day, it looked like he’d played with those receivers for 10 years. When we got back in the locker room, all the receivers were like, That’s the guy I want.”

All I know is Darnold better watch out because you know Baker is working day in and day out leading up to camp. Don't be surprised if camp reports say something like "it looks like Baker has been in this offense all off-season". I believe this type of commitment is why the Panthers weren't in a rush to get him before OTA's. An angry Baker is good Baker.

Edited by CPcavedweller
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

One line hit the nail on the head.  Baker never had to deal with losing and how he would handle that adversity was an unknown; then that portion of the article goes on to cite Ryan Leaf.  Leaf admitted the losing ruined his career; that he couldn't handle those rigors mentally.  Pressures from the coaching staff, teammates, fans and media scrutiny...particularly media scrutiny, plagued his mind.  Prolonged losing does screw with people's heads and some people, especially if that is something they never had to deal with, scars them permanently. 

Let's hope Baker chalks his time as a Brown to being in the wrong place...Cleveland and he rebounds nicely.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

One line hit the nail on the head.  Baker never had to deal with losing and how he would handle that adversity was an unknown; then that portion of the article goes on to cite Ryan Leaf.  Leaf admitted the losing ruined his career; that he couldn't handle those rigors mentally.  Pressures from the coaching staff, teammates, fans and media scrutiny...particularly media scrutiny, plagued his mind.  Prolonged losing does screw with people's heads and some people, especially if that is something they never had to deal with, scars them permanently. 

Let's hope Baker chalks his time as a Brown to being in the wrong place...Cleveland and he rebounds nicely.

1. Whats very telling to me here is when Lincoln Riley says that Baker can do more than most other QB's and it allowed him to make weekly adjustments. Look at how Oklahoma performed with Caleb Williams and Spencer Rattler, both more ideal in terms of physical traits. They have the talent around them, yet they still struggle.

Then you get OU with Baker who is a late score away from the National Championship and they almost hang 50 on Kirby Smart in a playoff game. That's a big deal.

I will reiterate this, the more I read and watch, the more I feel like the Browns just Browned. Bad organizations will do what bad organizations do and the Browns are a bad organization. They let OBJ divide the locker room, then Stefanski misses a meeting and rides Baker hard for pointing it out. The coaching staff put the onus of leadership on other positions then sent a QB out there with a torn labrum and then crucified him in the media.

It's the Browns, y'all. 

2. “He came in believing he was the guy,” says linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, who was a Sooners sophomore when Mayfield arrived in 2015. “At first people were like, Huh? But he earned the respect so fast. . . . On the first day, it looked like he’d played with those receivers for 10 years. When we got back in the locker room, all the receivers were like, That’s the guy I want.”

All I know is Darnold better watch out because you know Baker is working day in and day out leading up to camp. Don't be surprised if camp reports say something like "it looks like Baker has been in this offense all off-season". I believe this type of commitment is why the Panthers weren't in a rush to get him before OTA's. An angry Baker is good Baker.

3. The Browns went 0-16 in 2017. In 2018 Baker had Hue and broke the rookie record for TD passes and won 7 games. In 2019 he had Freddie Kitchens who was promptly fired after the whole team regressed somehow. In 2020 the Browns go to the playoffs and are a poor Baker decision from continuing a drive for a potential ticket to the AFC Championship game, that after besting Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh. The Browns, beating Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh? Ever? Yes, Baker led that. Then in 2021 the whole team regressed yet again as leadership cracks develop because some players misguided loyalty to a guy like OBJ who believes he IS the team. He destroyed the Giants and left the Browns in ashes as well.

I've hyped myself up sufficiently now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Baker handled losing fine. What was 2018 and 2019? Two head coaches, dysfunction, front office changes, etc. 

The Browns just Browned, all over the place. Anyone bringing in Watson was going to have an issue and I feel as if the Browns have cursed themselves.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Last point to counter, Baker has won everywhere he's gone. "How will he handle losing"? Well he lost his first two years and then the Browns won a playoff game and lost by six points to the Chiefs. That answers that question.

• Pie 1

My biggest concern is, why didn't anyone else want him?

I know Seattle inquired but turns out weren't all that interested. Most teams are set at QB and Baker wouldn't 100% be an upgrade. There are a number of teams though that Baker could be an upgrade for. If he was so prolific, why was nobody else knocking at the Browns door? Possibly they thought he'd be cut and could be had for cheaper? Possibly they were scared of the $19 million contract and never realized he could be had so cheaply? It's hard to guess why we were the only serious bidder.

There's a lot to like about Baker Mayfield on paper. There is also a lot of contradictory things out there about him personally. Either way, I think he's an upgrade to Darnold, and I'm glad he was cheap.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Whats very telling to me here is when Lincoln Riley says that Baker can do more than most other QB's and it allowed him to make weekly adjustments. Look at how Oklahoma performed with Caleb Williams and Spencer Rattler, both more ideal in terms of physical traits. They have the talent around them, yet they still struggle.

It's the Browns, y'all. 

“He came in believing he was the guy,” says linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, who was a Sooners sophomore when Mayfield arrived in 2015. “At first people were like, Huh? But he earned the respect so fast. . . . On the first day, it looked like he’d played with those receivers for 10 years. When we got back in the locker room, all the receivers were like, That’s the guy I want.”

Two things can be true and it certainly appears by all accounts Baker has a serious gaming addiction.

Have you watched that man play? He def logs thousands of hours on fps'. Hopefully he treats it as a hobby now. Time will tell.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/cleveland-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-wanted-to-be-a-professional-gamer/95-176ed643-e715-4746-a73a-3ebc8609d9b1

Edited by thunderraiden
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

It's the Browns, y'all. 

Yeah, I would not interpret Mayfield's divorce from the Browns the same way I would if his ex were the Chiefs.

The alternative for the Browns to saying Mayfield was holding them back was for them to admit the enemy is in the mirror.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

My biggest concern is, why didn't anyone else want him?

I know Seattle inquired but turns out weren't all that interested. Most teams are set at QB and Baker wouldn't 100% be an upgrade. There are a number of teams though that Baker could be an upgrade for. If he was so prolific, why was nobody else knocking at the Browns door? Possibly they thought he'd be cut and could be had for cheaper? Possibly they were scared of the $19 million contract and never realized he could be had so cheaply? It's hard to guess why we were the only serious bidder.

There's a lot to like about Baker Mayfield on paper. There is also a lot of contradictory things out there about him personally. Either way, I think he's an upgrade to Darnold, and I'm glad he was cheap.

I think it's because the Browns waited so long that we became the only team left that was a viable option. The fact that Baker is only under contract for one year is a huge detriment to his value in terms of what a team would give up for him.

Seattle - Carrol is not on the hotseat and winding down on his career. It is evident that they are in for a rebuild, hence the trade of Wilson and recouping of picks. Mayfield is an upgrade over anyone on their roster, yes, but he would also potentially take the team out of contention for a higher pick when they reset next year

Atlanta - Cap issues and likewise, starting a rebuild. No use for a guy like Baker

NO - Cap issues, already have a guy who knows their scheme in Winston.

Wash - Already traded for Wentz. Can't throw that away just yet.

Pitt - Division Rival, drafted a 1st round QB as well as signed Mitch Trubisky in the offseason. No point in trading for Baker

Colts - Traded for Matt Ryan when ATL screwed up with getting Watson.

Giants - Cap hell and not looking to bring on a one year rental.

Texans, Jags, Jets, Dolphins, Pats, Eagles, Bears, and 49ers all have young guys on rookie deals

Panthers - HC on the hotseat with a dumpster fire of an incumbent starter. Rookie QB taken in the 3rd round but he will most likely not be ready this season due to the offense he ran in college (Even though he has potential). Rhule needed Baker to save his job. That's why we got him. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/18/baker-mayfield-2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks

Good read. Still don't know what the hell to think.

Yeah....I see stuff and it makes me think this guy could be legit, but I've had my hopes up before. I've never been excited about him before and I don't want to let myself get excited just because he's a panther now. I've tried convincing myself in the past that maybe we've stumbled on something good, but it never pans out (not talking Cam because I knew he was legit when I saw him play the Iron Bowl in college...I didn't have to convince myself of anything watching him play. He did it for me.).

I just have to see it. I won't believe it until he gives me something as a panther to believe in.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Well he sounds like a complete 180 mentally from Darnold, from IQ to attitude. If Rhule couldn't handle Teddy's honesty things might get real ugly if we're looking at another losing season. Will make for good television at least since most of us are prepared to not be good at the football part of things

Last fall, after the flag-planting and the crotch-grabbing, one media member tweeted out that Mayfield would be of no interest to an NFL team given that sort of behavior. The QB took a screenshot and stored it on his phone. He’d look at it when he worked out, friends say, for motivation. Then, in March, as it became clear that his would be one of the first names called at the draft in Dallas, he tracked down that media member’s phone number and sent him the screenshot.

“Who’s this?” the recipient asked.

“Someone who’s going to text you on April 26.”

I like him.

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Last fall, after the flag-planting and the crotch-grabbing, one media member tweeted out that Mayfield would be of no interest to an NFL team given that sort of behavior. The QB took a screenshot and stored it on his phone. He’d look at it when he worked out, friends say, for motivation. Then, in March, as it became clear that his would be one of the first names called at the draft in Dallas, he tracked down that media member’s phone number and sent him the screenshot.

“Who’s this?” the recipient asked.

“Someone who’s going to text you on April 26.”

I like him.

When channeled properly, that kind of obsession can definitely be a good thing.  

• Pie 1